Thread: 9 day race.. how to fuel for the training and race? page

mikeyt is offline Senior Member

9 day race.. how to fuel for the training and race?

Primal Fuel
    So I've signed up for a 'cross britain' bike ride in June, about 120 miles / day at a reasonable pace for 9 days. There should be about 499 other fools doing it and the organisers will feed us regularly (and carry our stuff and put up our tents every night )

I'm pretty new to this Primal stuff but did a century ride at the weekend and had no problem doing it 'primal' (although I took it a bit slower than I will need to be in June) but I was exhausted the next two days. I guess I will need more fuel for the furnace to sustain it for a week and more.

Am currently thinking about doing as much of the training as I can Primally then using pasta, rice and Mule bars to get through the event itself. Does that sound about right? When do I start re-training myself to eat them?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
    Am currently thinking about doing as much of the training as I can Primally then using pasta, rice and Mule bars to get through the event itself. Does that sound about right? When do I start re-training myself to eat them?
    Yes. Train yourself to burn primarily fat, then add as much carbs as you need for the event. Try not to do pasta. Rice, yams, potatoes, other starchy veg. Plenty of fat.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

gordo is offline Senior Member

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member
    I have been thinking about this for my hard 100 mile ride/races coming up. I am going low carb until about a week or so before and then "Carb up" and reduce the training load systematically near the event. I would starting introducing carbs but not huge amounts and train with a few higher intensity but short rides near the end (30 second type sprints). The goal is to fill the muscles but I am not going to just eat a ton of garbage. Just veggies like carrots and such but throughout the day to lesson the insulin.

During the race you won't have a choice but to have more carbs but try an be smart. The great thing about biking is that you can hide in the pack a bit and stay aerobic and if the pace is not too fast you should be golden and won't require gobs of carbs. I would not eat straight carbs but high fat with some carbs.

My $0.02

Will Murphy is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I live pretty primally but for long stuff at reasonably high intensity, I do use non-Primal food. I personally like Hammer Nutrition's Perpetuem. Since your intensity is not going to be super high, you can probably stay with more Primal food, though. Bananas and other fruit while riding, maybe a trail mix. High quality protein and fat at the end of each day's ride. As always, try to do some testing to see what works for you, including the practicalities of storing and accessing the food while on the bike.

Sounds like a grand adventure. Have fun!