Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole Foods page

elektro is offline Member

Whole Foods

Shop Now
    I've been doing all my shopping at Whole Foods since I started PR. I always go for Organic when available. For meats, I go for grass fed when possible, but otherwise just get the regular organic meats and wild fish. How organic is their food really? Is shopping there overall pretty good, or should I be looking elsewhere?

marielle is offline Member
    I love Whole Foods, they're just so expensive. As far as how organic, I guess it's just...organic. Although all their meats are at least 90% grass fed, so you can't go wrong there.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I overheard an employee say that their grass-fed meats are actually grass-finished, and that the "regular" cuts come from grass-fed, corn-finished animals. I'm not sure how valid that bit of information is, though.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    You can do SO much better price-wise, quality-wise, and freshness-wise. Where do you live?
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Their food is OK, prices are occasionally outrageous. Do you have Fresh & Easy in your area?

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    I go there for certain things, but I don't buy everything there. As already stated, some of the prices are pretty high. I buy canned tuna, coconut milk, and lettuces mostly. The one near my office has pretty decent prices on chicken as well.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    You're mostly paying for quality and convenience when you shop at Whole Foods. As awesome as "cowpooling" is, it doesn't always work for everyone. If you really get to know your local WF, you can find plenty of decently-priced items.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    *Answering as a former WFM employee (8 consecutive yrs with the company ending in January 2010)*
    How organic is their food really? Is shopping there overall pretty good, or should I be looking elsewhere?
    Love them or hate them, Whole Foods pioneered, helped write, and pushed through from concept to reality the current national laws regarding certified organic product, and they were the first grocery retailer to become a certified organic grocer (which wasn't as hard as it sounds, given that they did help write those laws and thus knew what they had to do to come into compliance the same day that the law went into effect).

Their organic products - indeed all their products - go through extensive vetting, with national and regional Whole Foods reps visiting and inspecting the farms and production facilities before taking on a product to sell. And their seafood program is unparalleled for freshness and sustainability. Indeed, all their wild caught fish is always *top catch* (that is, they only buy fish caught on the last day the boat went out - obviously this rule doesn't apply to their farm raised selections).

I overheard an employee say that their grass-fed meats are actually grass-finished, and that the "regular" cuts come from grass-fed, corn-finished animals. I'm not sure how valid that bit of information is, though.
    Their meat is also very high quality, IMO, but yeah, the grass fed and finished is best. Regarding whether their other meat is grass fed and grain finished - the short answer is *ish* - all the cattle they source beef from is pastured, so they do get plenty of grass and plenty of room to move, etc, but they also get a supplemental diet of grain throughout their lives and they are finished almost exclusively on grains.

All that said, Whole Foods' prices are often six steps past silly and you can generally get better quality fresher product from local farms, farmers' markets, etc . . . and at a much better price (though the last year I was there they were making a big push to carry as many local products as they could get their hands on, so it is still easy to get local produce, eggs, even meat - though marked up at Whole Foods prices).

As for the seafood, most regular grocery stores offer frozen wild caught seafood fillets and steaks that were frozen right on the boat the day they were caught, which equates somewhat with Whole Foods' *top catch* policy and they're waaay less expensive.

I am fortunate in that I got in on the ground floor with a local couple this past year who are opening a grocery store that sources produce, dairy, eggs, pork, poultry, beef, lamb, and even bison from local farms - the bison and beef are both grass fed & grass finished, which is awesome. The lamb as well.

I will still shop WFM (I have one within an hour to the south of me, to the west of me, and several within an hour and a half to the north) for fresh seafood year round (if I don't want frozen) and in the fall Icelandic Lamb (they still have exclusive rights to sell it retail in the states - though I understand it is also available at certain restaurants in New York). I will also buy my aged cheeses - particularly European cheeses - at WFM, but that is a twice a year trip at best.

ilikesubtitles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeThePurple View Post
    Their food is OK, prices are occasionally outrageous. Do you have Fresh & Easy in your area?
    Fresh & Easy is NO BUENO! It's the American Tesco. Tesco is well known for having violated laws across the world by labeling some products as "organic" when they are conventional.

Whole Foods is super expensive. I only buy stuff there that I can't possibly find anywhere else. If you live in a big city you'll probably be able to find alternatives. I found a local alternative to Whole Foods just in the next neighborhood over. On my first visit I met the owner and got all the deets on their meat, eggs, etc. The transparency of a local business is way more available than at a place like Whole Foods.
    I don't own a scale and don't care to!

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Oddly for things like Kerrygold butter WF is just as cheap as Trader Joe's and I was going there for awhile....but then Costco started carrying kerrygold so I probably only go to WF about once a month. Their coconut milk is also the cheapest I have found, especially if I were to go case price.

For meat there arent many options where I am unless I am willing to buy 1/4 cow or 1/2 pig and I just dont have the freezer space for that right now. Plus there are a lot of cuts I am not that fond of. There is a local buffalo farm but everytime I have gotten meat from them its not from their farm. (?)

There is another store that I like better (New Seasons) but the meat selection is small and almost WF prices. For fatty meat like ground beef I am willing to pay for grass fed, but I find it hard to justify grass fed filet mignon. I buy it from costco and take an extra fish oil pill.

I buy the wild salmon and cod from Costco...they do the on the boat flash freezing.

I get about 1/2 my eggs from a local farm but they have limited availability.

I lived in Austin TX when whole foods opened up. I remember just walking around in awe. It was shopping Nirvana. I coudnt afford anything but I liked to window shop there.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast