Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Alternative? page

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

Deadlift Alternative?

Primal Fuel
    Okay, big fan of the deadlift (though I think it's like a hundred years since I've actually done one) and would like to incorporate them in my workout, but I have no gym access and minimal equipment (a kettlebell, some resistance bands, and a couple of dumbbells).

Is there an alternative exercise that offers the same effect/results but doesn't require a bar? Or is that idea equivalent to mythological creatures like unicorns and virgins?

I've done kettlebell deadlifts, but quite frankly my kettlebell is just too small to give me what I want out of the exercise at this point.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Just gather some more plates for your dumbbells and make them heavy, nothing wrong with that. But remember it's a big compound lift, if you aren't training in the area of 70% or above of your 1 RM, you're probably wasting your time.

RobbieC is offline Member
    Find a big rock or log that you can lift (tie rope handles around a log to give you something to grip).
    Striving to live a life extraordinary.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I found a big stump in a park when I was gymless. If you have a yard, you could get a big tire to flip. Or maybe a sandbag with handles.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Deadlifts are mainly a back extension (erector spinae) and hip extension (glutes/hamstrings) exercise. You'll actually get a fairly similar benefit from your kettlebell swings. Or is your KB too light for those too?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    Deadlifts are mainly a back extension (erector spinae) and hip extension (glutes/hamstrings) exercise. You'll actually get a fairly similar benefit from your kettlebell swings. Or is your KB too light for those too?
    You don't deadlift, at least not heavy, it's clear! OP, I'd suggest trying some rocks and logs on for size.

Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    I do K-Bell workouts for conditioning, but yeah, I'm looking for something heavier for actual strength training.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I'd suggest trying some rocks and logs on for size.
    A couple of people have suggested logs. I actually have a stack of 2 x 4s in my garage that might fit the bill.

*wanders off to find some rope to bind em up & make a handhold*

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    I do K-Bell workouts for conditioning, but yeah, I'm looking for something heavier for actual strength training.

A couple of people have suggested logs. I actually have a stack of 2 x 4s in my garage that might fit the bill.
    Just loop some old beach towels round them and get a killer grip workout at the same time.

You do have some towels, don't ya?

I do have towels, and I have used lengths of rope before to change my K-bell workout (I don't pretend to have Steve Cotter's facility with this method, but he's the one I got the idea from) and extend the range I have with that particular tool, but I'm afraid I'm not seeing how that applies to the deadlift?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post

2x4s might do the trick, but i always liked using a big log and rocks. do you have access to trees and an axe? find a hefty tree (12-18" diameter) and cut it the hell down. from the trunk, cut a log about four or five feet long (incidentally, you're also getting a great workout with the axe). then just keep flipping the log end over end out in your yard. it's actually kind of a fun, tough, primal way to replace the deadlift

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast