Thread: Bison/taro recipes page

Enamel is offline Senior Member

Bison/taro recipes

Primal Fuel
    I recently acquired a pound of bison and some taro roots - I'm definitely not looking for recipes that involve them being on the same plate, but I was hoping you guys had some tried-and-true recipes for either of these foods.
    Seeing as I only have one pound of bison, I really want to make the most of it, so feel free to post the most extravagant recipe you have for it. I'd prefer if it didn't involve dairy aside from butter (or goat dairy is fine) or tomatoes, but other than that, let loose.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, don't really have anything for the Taro root, but I have tons of recipes that apply to bison. Particularly if you allow yourself the indulgences of Parmigiano-Reggiano (I know you said no dairy - but some folks still include aged cheeses that have lived past their lactose years) and some good shrooms.

What cut do you have?

(If you don't know the name of the cut just describe what the cut looks like, how much fat/marbling, etc).

It's just ground bison. Wish I could have gotten an actual slab of meat to do something special with, but if I have to make do with something like bison meatballs, that's okay. I haven't had meatballs in over a decade, maybe I'll love them, haha.
    A bit of dairy is fine, I just don't want a recipe that needs a ton of dairy.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Ah - okay - ground bison I basically treat as ground beef. My first thought would be patties and I'd still smother em in a mushroom sauce, but you could do the same with meatballs.

To make the sauce, get an assortment of fresh sliced mushrooms (I like 3 parts crimini mushrooms, to 1 part each shitake and oyster mushrooms). For one pound of ground beef you're going to want about two cups of sliced mushrooms seared in coconut oil until they are brown and just softening. Then add a splash of wine (I like the South African wine, "Goats Do Roam", but you can use a pinot noir as well - or if you want something lighter use a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio). Add in a tablespoon of dried thyme and 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and stir as it reduces.

Dump on top of finished patties or meatballs.

(for patties, I'd add chopped onion to the meat, or scallions; for meatballs I'd mix in one egg, maybe a little bit of the Parmigiano, and a tablespoon of coconut oil).

Thank you! That sounds great, and I think the only thing I need to get is mushrooms.

Coconut Girl is offline Senior Member
    ok... so i know i'm TOTALLY late to this but i just searched "taro" and your thread popped up! it's very difficult (frankly) to work with taro... you have to cook it for a LONG time... steaming or baking... in fact i don't even remember how long... you might not like it as it's very starchy--though by now i assume your taro is long gone... LOL what did you do with it? you could make taro chips slice thinly and fry... i'm thinking of purchasing a bag of terra taro chips or something to get my taro fix... i LOVE taro chips but then... i'm Hawaiian and was raised on poi/taro.

MsWonderWoman is offline Junior Member
    My favorite Taro dessert: Boil very well-scrubbed taro until al dente (agree with coconut girl, you have to cook it thoroughly or it will bite you back - itchy throat no bueno). Drain and cut up into cubes. Simmer in coconut milk until very tender. Serve Warm. Let mouthgasms ensue.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut Girl View Post
    ok... so i know i'm TOTALLY late to this but i just searched "taro" and your thread popped up! it's very difficult (frankly) to work with taro... you have to cook it for a LONG time... steaming or baking... in fact i don't even remember how long... you might not like it as it's very starchy--though by now i assume your taro is long gone... LOL what did you do with it? you could make taro chips slice thinly and fry... i'm thinking of purchasing a bag of terra taro chips or something to get my taro fix... i LOVE taro chips but then... i'm Hawaiian and was raised on poi/taro.
    I actually ended up using it to make taro chips, haha. Sooooo easy.