Thread: Can I Ignore Erythritol Carbs? page

Grok is offline Senior Member

Can I Ignore Erythritol Carbs?

Primal Fuel
    Today I picked up some Zevia orange soda which has 11g of erythritol. The can says that those carbs really count as 0 because it has no calories or effect on blood sugar.

Mark's blog post today didn't shed any light on this (unless I missed it). Can I ignore erythritol based carbs in my daily carb count?

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    Today I picked up some Zevia orange soda which has 11g of erythritol. The can says that those carbs really count as 0 because it has no calories or effect on blood sugar.

Mark's blog post today didn't shed any light on this (unless I missed it). Can I ignore erythritol based carbs in my daily carb count?
    In my personal opinion, Erythritol is probably the most benign of all sugar alcohols. There is little disruption to your body's chemical systems and in most people no insulin spikes. Honestly, if you tolerate and don't crap your brains out after ingesting it, it's probably safe for you. Your body can't process the carbohydrates so yes, you can ignore them.

I just wouldn't get into the habit of drinking zevia every day, because it -will- cause gas and the runs if you eat enough of it. It's just an effect of sugar alcohol and they all cause it.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    plain soda water with a squeeze of lemon FTW!

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    plain soda water with a squeeze of lemon FTW!
    That's a good idea. I also buy lime flavored mineral water and some zero carb tea which I add stevia drops to. I just picked up the orange soda because I've never seen a stevia sweetened soda before and wanted to give it a try.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i thought the rule of thumb with sweetners was if you do crap all out your not absorbing it(but the rapid send thru the body make raise BS) and when you dont have side effects your body is usiing it somewhere, again having to view it as some sort of nutrient and will raise BS

im not saying either SPIKE bs, but im pretty against the idea of 0 calorie food