Thread: Phil Maffetone page

Cayenne is offline Junior Member

Phil Maffetone

Primal Fuel
    I love being physically active. I do not compete and my main goal is to enhance energy and well being.

Author Maffetone advocates aerobic exercise and, from what I can tell, nutrition that is not dissimilar from PB.

Anyone here familiar with Maffetone's work ? Does he think "all out" sprints are always bad (healthwise) ? How about 1-2 x per week then ?

Comments from anyone familiar with Dr. Maffetone's work will be greatly appreciated.

Eddie

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member
    I was recently turned onto the works of Maffetone. When I get paid next week I am buying his latest revised books. I think you are correct and that he employs the same kind of logic to life as Mark. I would like to hear Mark's take on him actually as Mark was involved in Endurance training during the time that Maffetone was actively training. I think that if you are going to be involved with Endurance sports than this info is a worth looking at.

I heard him talking about his training and it sounds like he is all about building your fat burning engine.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    His work has some parallels with the "move slowly" advice that is advocated here - I think where it is less effective is in his suggestion that intense anaerobic exercise is generally bad. I must admit that I don't know a huge amount about him or who he trains so if anyone can shed any light here that would be good.

To the OP, I think if you are just after energy and wellbeing then this could probably be achieved with nutrition and moving slowly but the lack of sprinting and lifting heavy will have a major impact on both function and metabolic rate.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Maffetone prescibes NO sprinting for a period of several months. Sprinting and other high intensity work is confined to a sharpening phase leading in to a racing phase but for the bulk of the year all low intensity. Although he does generally go with the low or high...no middle ground similar to PB. His reasons for the Low intensity are quite different though. ...but I dont have time right now. BBL
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Phil has moved on generally speaking from the forefront of fitness. That does not at all discredit his work. His claim to fame is Mark Allen. Mark was arguably the most dominant Triathlete to date. His Marathon times are still world class in that circuit. He, to this day. says Phil was right on.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    His work has some parallels with the "move slowly" advice that is advocated here - I think where it is less effective is in his suggestion that intense anaerobic exercise is generally bad. I must admit that I don't know a huge amount about him or who he trains so if anyone can shed any light here that would be good.

To the OP, I think if you are just after energy and wellbeing then this could probably be achieved with nutrition and moving slowly but the lack of sprinting and lifting heavy will have a major impact on both function and metabolic rate.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I guess the real question is "how relevant is this to regular people" and there is an assumption here that triathletes are the fittest people around.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, it does look like Maffetone has branched out from endurance to general fitness/weightloss. His specialty used to be endurance athletes and that is where I played around with his method some. I know several marathoners who are very successful with it but it takes a great deal of patience.

Where it differs from PB:

If you have had any illness, injury or are new to exercise the max hr is even lower than PB.
    You are not supposed to do any anaerobic (sprinting, weight lifting ect. ) until a solid solid base of LHR training has occurred
    For general population you arent supposed to go above the THR pretty much ever.
    Low intensity aerobic is always supposed to be more frequent than other exercise. Weight lifting is secondary

I find his method very...cumbersome in the dependance on HR monitors and he recommends taking temperature daily etc.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been reading the "Big Book" and find it to be an extremely refreshing take. It aligns extremely well with the Primal Blueprint. Sure he does not advocate the use of sprints for much of the year but the goal is entirely different.

If you are going to engage in endurance activities then this book should have a place on your shelf. It has taken top spot on mine.