Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: sprinting page

  1. #1
    denise's Avatar
    denise is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    884

    sprinting

    in my chronic cardio days, I ran a 10k every day for several years (then went to the gym/did spinning/lifted weights - you get the picture).

    I have cut right back on my workouts, I train 5 or 6 times a week, always have a complete rest day. I lift weight 3 times a week, do some spin classes (often keeping my HR to under 75% as they then act as a wonderful active recovery session). I love my yoga - when I can fit it in. I walk a lot more.

    I could never get my head around sprints. I always said I would "much prefer to run for an hour at a steady, not-quite-comfy-but-maintainable pace (probably 85/85% max) than sprint".

    Something has changed! Over the past few weeks, I have WANTED to do my sprint sessions. I space them out of course, but I actually ENJOY them. I have noticed myself beginning to get noticeably faster too.

    Hopefully, I am also laying some speed work for when I DO want to go for a long run - occasionally (and especially when I'm on holiday, when I LOVE to run most days). Am I making myself fitter overall with this?? Hope so.

    Anyhoo - just sharing. My little chubby legs were a positive blur this morning and I felt so happy afterwards
    Last edited by denise; 02-15-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: spelling

  2. #2
    irenesom's Avatar
    irenesom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    140
    high fives!

    I know what you mean about chronic cardio - so done with that. I used to think more was better, spin then weights. Long runs then weights. I have been doing my weights at the gym and then I hop on the treadmill and do 30s sprint (13km/h or so) and rest 30 seconds and maybe do it 5 times. I think I am getting faster too. Its intense but over in flash. I actually think its kind of fun.

    When I look around the gym I see all these women slogging it out on the cardio machines, I just feel relieved I don't have to be one of them anymore. Some of them are very slim but they look so fragile. What a battle they must have to maintain that. I might do a few 10k this year but I won't really train for them. Just a few longer runs before hand. I like the shiny medals. lol

    What sprinting are you doing?

  3. #3
    Primal Fist's Avatar
    Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    1,714
    Sprints are so much more fun (kind of) and less boring than running slower for two hours. I just run a 10k a year now (the City of Manchester 10k in June) with MDA forumite Megalodon.

  4. #4
    denise's Avatar
    denise is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by irenesom View Post
    high fives!

    I know what you mean about chronic cardio - so done with that. I used to think more was better, spin then weights. Long runs then weights. I have been doing my weights at the gym and then I hop on the treadmill and do 30s sprint (13km/h or so) and rest 30 seconds and maybe do it 5 times. I think I am getting faster too. Its intense but over in flash. I actually think its kind of fun.

    When I look around the gym I see all these women slogging it out on the cardio machines, I just feel relieved I don't have to be one of them anymore. Some of them are very slim but they look so fragile. What a battle they must have to maintain that. I might do a few 10k this year but I won't really train for them. Just a few longer runs before hand. I like the shiny medals. lol

    What sprinting are you doing?
    My "sprint protocols" (ooer get me!) are either 30" at 13/13.5 km/h then walk til HR hits 72% (for me thats 120 bpm) then sprint again - or 20/30/40/50/60/20/30 etc intervals with walking to get to 72%. I do that for 20'. I warm up by incline walking - up to 14% elevation and at about 6.5km/h for about 15' and cool down by walking myself to "completely recovered" and then stretching a LOT!! Thats it. Today I actaully played at walking up and down and fast and slow for about 45 extra minutes - just cos I felt like it. No pressure to do it that way every time though.

    I still don't sprint and do weights on the same day - I usually do a spin class to warm up for weights (and sometimes that class is a sprint interval class too!! Nice for a change). Somehow in contrast to what I used to do that seems SO little!! No doubt as time goes by I will lose the spin and just do really heavy weights.

    then thing about all those women on the machines - many are at the same intensity as they were a year ago! And I also notice NO improvement in their bodies - though as many say they are "just maintaining" - you can't comment. I don't want to "maintain" - I want to improve and I'm willing to work for it!! Nice to think I might finally have found a way that will deliver! Enjoying it is such a bonus.

    Still smiling!
    Last edited by denise; 02-15-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: I put 12 bpm - not 120. Be hard to do that

  5. #5
    denise's Avatar
    denise is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    Sprints are so much more fun (kind of) and less boring than running slower for two hours. I just run a 10k a year now (the City of Manchester 10k in June) with MDA forumite Megalodon.
    and have you found your fitness level is ok for that 10k to still be "easy" and fun?? (I do still want to enjoy my long runs. I plan to begin to put in some miles across the summer so i can enjoy the holiday runs in September.)

    as for "sprinitng is fun" - well I guess we are just happy masochists?? And of course it's soooo nice when it stops!

  6. #6
    AndreaReina's Avatar
    AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    then thing about all those women on the machines - many are at the same intensity as they were a year ago! And I also notice NO improvement in their bodies - though as many say they are "just maintaining" - you can't comment. I don't want to "maintain" - I want to improve and I'm willing to work for it!! Nice to think I might finally have found a way that will deliver! Enjoying it is such a bonus.

    Still smiling!
    OK is not good. Fine is not optimal. And maintenance, when improvement can be achieved with reasonable effort, is stagnation. Sprinting is definitely fun -- there's something to be said for being able to move that quickly under your own feet.

  7. #7
    Balance's Avatar
    Balance is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SF, California
    Posts
    826
    I had the same mindset as you before. I would run 5-6 miles per day and add in a 10-12 miler once a week. Then I would hit the gym and lift weights 4-5 days a week. I was so tired all the time and was eating a lot of CW foods. At work I would just feel terrible and tired all the time. But since I found Paleo I stopped chronic cardio and started walking instead of it. I sprint and play basketball twice a week. My sprint protocol is 4x400, 4x200, and 4x100. On my last few sets of 100s there is pretty much nothing left in the tank. Those last few sets are definitely not fun lol but they doing it is extremely productive in my opinion. My 5k times have been getting progressively faster the more sprinting I do and the less jogging I do. And with sprinting your whole body gets pretty ripped.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

    People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

  8. #8
    denise's Avatar
    denise is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    My 5k times have been getting progressively faster the more sprinting I do and the less jogging I do. And with sprinting your whole body gets pretty ripped.
    oooh, I do hope so, I like the sound of that!!!!!!

  9. #9
    Primal Fist's Avatar
    Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    and have you found your fitness level is ok for that 10k to still be "easy" and fun?? (I do still want to enjoy my long runs. I plan to begin to put in some miles across the summer so i can enjoy the holiday runs in September.)

    as for "sprinitng is fun" - well I guess we are just happy masochists?? And of course it's soooo nice when it stops!
    Well, last year I did absolutely zero training for it, so even just one sprint session a week will be an improvement. But nearer the time I plan to include a few very slow 10ks to get the distance back into my legs. Mark recommends something similar in the PB book.

  10. #10
    denise's Avatar
    denise is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    884
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    Well, last year I did absolutely zero training for it, so even just one sprint session a week will be an improvement. But nearer the time I plan to include a few very slow 10ks to get the distance back into my legs. Mark recommends something similar in the PB book.
    Thanks, thats close to my plan then, gentle longer runs some days in the summer just to get some "miles" back in my legs. Hopefully by then I will have transitioned enough to using fat for fuel so i won't "bonk" on the run! Not tried any distance since cutting carbs right back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •