Thread: Target Heart Rate page

Mrs T is offline Junior Member

Target Heart Rate

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I'm sorry if I am asking a question for which the answer is available, I did a search but I couldn't find what I'm looking for.

I want to burn fat while running. According to what I have read, I should aim for 60 to 65 % of my max heart rate. I know there's disagreement about how to calculate a theoretical max heart rate, but most formulas give me a max heart rate of between 168 and 177. 65% of that is 109 - 115. That's bearly above my resting rate! While hiking or running, I have a hard job to get my heart rate below 150. I don't feel like I'm exerting myself at all...

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance

Mrs. T.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    According to the blueprint, fat burning occurs in the 55-75% range.

For a rough estimate of your max HR take 226 (220 for men) and subtract your age. It's not a perfect science, as I'm 27 and can get my HR up to 200 without puking or passing out.

For example, if you're a 40 year old woman :

Max HR = 186
    75% = 140
    55% = 102

I knew a girl who was working out with a trainer I was using who would get her HR up to 180 during minimal work, she wouldn't be breathing hard or anything like that. If this is your case, I would probably check with a doctor to make sure everything is working right.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    The purpose of "move frequently at a slow pace" is not to burn fat, but to train the cardiovascular system. Your resting heart rate should go down in time as you continue with both the low and high intensity work. As far as fat burning goes, as long as your blood glucose and insulin are at normal levels you'll burn fat anywhere below the aerobic threshold (commonly cited as 80%), but remember that diet is the biggest determinant of weight loss, not exercise.

Thank you, guys for the tips.

My resting Heart Rate is 80
    My theoretical maximum HR is 183. (226-43=183)
    65% of 183=119

- this is too low for me, I am making practically no effort at this heart rate... At 150 I am comfortable, I can walk/run and talk, and I can continue for miles at this rate...

Any ideas, anyone?
    Last edited by Mrs T; 02-18-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Soil To Sustenance is offline Senior Member
    Take a look at the Wikipedia article on heart rate as there are a couple of alternative measures to calc maximum heart rate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate

Also, I am betting that you are doing real aerobic work at under 150 bpm even though you only feel mild effects at 150. Maybe 140 would be a better place for you to shoot for.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    I actually suggest you don't burn fat for a while. This link is a summary of the Book PACE the 12 minutes fitness revolution. More and more research suggests that intervals are much better for you.

http://www.cbass.com/PACE.htm

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Most people find that appetite is increased after exercising, and exercise itself doesn't burn a whole lot -- an hour of "brisk" walking, according to fitday, burns 252 calories. If I followed that with a satisfying snack -- say 4 eggs -- I've just offset the calories I spent. It may be that I'd be able to resist eating after a walk, but the higher the intensity the greater the appetite increase so if I jogged at 75% to maximize fat burn I'd be feeling deprived if I didn't eat afterward.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea what happened to her, she was simply another client of my trainer
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks, everyone for the suggestions!

Mrs.T
    Last edited by Mrs T; 02-18-2011 at 05:19 AM.