Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merrell Pure Glove Review page

Andtckrtoo is online now Senior Member

Merrell Pure Glove Review

Primal Fuel
    Not sure if this would go here, or not, but I'm posting it. I just ordered a pair or Merrell Pure Glove Woman's shoes.

First thing I have to say is that they are CUTE! Much cuter than the picture. These are shoes I can wear around town with shorts or capris (I'm not a sneakers or athletic shoe about town kind of gal). I'd even wear them to work with certain pants - and definitely on Fridays.

They do have arch support. It's not that much, but if you've worn Vibrams, you'll notice it. It might be something that breaks down a bit over time, though. We'll see. Oddly Merrells tend to fit me funny because of their arch support, but these feel okay. The sole is much thicker than my Vibrams (I have the Sprints, with the 2 mm sole, these are 4mm), and have some good tread on them. There is some cushioning at the ball of the foot. Technically, I would classify these more as a transitional shoe, not a true barefoot, but honestly, they come much closer than something like the Nike Freerunners. I'm thrilled with my purchase because I trail run/hike rocky trails, and have been using Freerunners because my feet get beaten up in Vibrams.

Another thing, I did want to point out - barefoot shoes tend to have a bigger toe box to allow you to splay out your toes and "grip" the trail. These don't really have that. The run very true to size - I went up 1/2 a size and they are a bit big, so I'm hoping that helps.

This is the shoe I would recommend trying if you are looking to get outside and run trails, or perhaps just around the neighborhood but are unsure about Vibrams. They are sturdier and provide more protection without having a heel, so you can get a better stride. I'm looking forward to the rain stopping so I can take them for a spin around the neighborhood to tell you how they feel on concrete and tarmac.

Edited to add that the men's Merrell's are built on the same footbed, but are probably not quite as cute.
    Last edited by Andtckrtoo; 02-15-2011 at 06:07 AM.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

gordo is offline Senior Member
    My understanding is that the arch hugs your foot so that you don't slide around in them. Mine will be here this week and I'll know for sure, but folks I trust tell me that there is no arch support.

Gordo

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I bought a pair of the Merrell Pace Gloves. I've only had a chance to use them on a dreadmill and mostly walking as I just haven't had a chance to get out to the trails yet, plus the trails are still covered with ice and snow. I've also worn them to my BodyPump and TRX classes and to work on casual Friday. I really like them. I have a pair of the Pure Gloves on order. They're taking their own good time getting here. Since last summer I've been running in Nike Free 3.0 v.2 and 5.0s. I tried running in sneakers without any support, but started developing issues with my plantar fascia. So I decided to use the Frees as a transitioning shoe.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    In pictures they looked like toe squishers - thanks for the confirmation

On sizing: couldn't find anything about whether they were true to size, so I ordered size 7. I wear a 6.5. They are a little long, but fit well everywhere else. In fact they are very snug fitting over the instep and hug the arch. I have to wear a 7.5 in the Nike Frees.

Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    My understanding is that the arch hugs your foot so that you don't slide around in them. Mine will be here this week and I'll know for sure, but folks I trust tell me that there is no arch support.

Gordo
    I know it's not arch support in the traditional sense. So, maybe it is to hug your foot. It just feels very different than my other minimal shoes (I have Vibrams and Evo Barefoot shoes). I just wore them from some high impact dance (yeah, not what they are designed for and not very primal, but man it was fun, so I'm not going to stop! ) and they were really good. They fit securely and I don't get the heel slippage like some shoes. I really think I'll like these a lot.
    Last edited by Andtckrtoo; 02-15-2011 at 07:44 AM.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad to hear the women's are cute, because from the pictures, they don't appeal to me at all. I prefer the men's. Why can't women have a gray and orange shoe? I'm so sick of powder blue!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I'm glad to hear the women's are cute, because from the pictures, they don't appeal to me at all. I prefer the men's. Why can't women have a gray and orange shoe? I'm so sick of powder blue!
    My Pace Gloves are black and silver...http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...oot-Pace-Glove

on edit: I did have the black ones highlighted....

Now they need to come out with a sandal. I have a pair of huaraches that I made, but I'm having issues with the between-the-toe ever since I dropped a knife on my foot and damaged a nerve.
    Last edited by Lynna; 02-15-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I have the Pure Gloves - which look like a Mary Jane. I have them in black, but I'm tempted by the red/black and yellow/black.

Edited to add this article that outlines the difference between the three woman's shoes. I have not been able to find a similar report comparing the men's, though, sorry.
    Last edited by Andtckrtoo; 02-15-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    I want the Pure Gloves, but unless some place around here carries them, I'll have to wait until I go to a bigger city. I have wide feet (I usually wear men's shoes) and don't want to have to return them.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast