Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Inquisitive One's Primal Journal page 3

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    No, there are lots of brands. Here next to the border we get a lot of Mexican imports you might not have up there. Just read the ingredients. I've never tried cracklins. Are they the same thing but from a cow?
    Here's an explanation; they're quite similar to pork rinds, and are a pork product.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Oh, BTW. The next time you find yourself getting caught up in the scale watching take a read through this thread : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...llow-grokettes...

I make myself go back and read it every week or so.
    Ha! I found that thread the other day, and agree with you—it is well worth revisiting. Thanks for the reminder.

I just completed a monthlong food diary challenge ... ugh. It was quite helpful in terms of me seeing precisely what I eat, and in what quantities; but it also got me even more focused on food at the beginning, so I overate some then. One clear theme emerged: I don't eat as many vegetables as I'd thought. I'll see what I can do to remedy that, but it's hard right now as I'm bored with salad greens and don't have much of a budget for other fresh vegetables.

Today is a long training day at the dojo, so I plan on doing just a few negatives for my pullup work. I'll get pushups, planks, and lots of other core work during training, and I don't want to overdo it.
    Last edited by inquisitiveone; 02-21-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: improved clarity

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by inquisitiveone View Post
    Here's an explanation; they're quite similar to pork rinds, and are a pork product.
    What you are calling cracklins are what the Mexicans call chincharones which is what I eat. Now I'm not sure what "pork rinds" are. Maybe just another name for the same thing. In any case they are yummy and satisfy that salty, greasy, crunchy snack urge.

Good job on keeping up with a diary for a whole month. I find I'm developing a fondness for cauliflower when I get tired of salad.

Oh yeah—I remember seeing those when I've been there, but never tried them. I wonder how different the mass-produced ones are compared to what my uncle made. Some pieces were very fatty and soft; others (my favorites) had a bit of meat to them; and others were crisp skin.

I got sucked in to doing the diary—that sort of thing isn't something I'd normally do. It was helpful, but I hope I don't have to do it too often!

I think my issue with salads is that I'm craving a vine-ripened, fat, juicy summer tomato. Without that, the greens have no appeal ... maybe I can persuade myself to enjoy them by having a steak salad tonight.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by inquisitiveone View Post
    I got sucked in to doing the diary—that sort of thing isn't something I'd normally do. It was helpful, but I hope I don't have to do it too often!

I think my issue with salads is that I'm craving a vine-ripened, fat, juicy summer tomato. Without that, the greens have no appeal ... maybe I can persuade myself to enjoy them by having a steak salad tonight.
    Yeah, I'm not really lactose intolerant per se but it gives me stuffed up sinuses. I never really noticed it until it went away.

Bacon salads are another good way to make greenery appealing.

Many things seem to be coming together for me at last. I have accepted my body as it is now; and also, knowing that it is always changing, I'm trying to ensure that those changes are in healthful directions. This has given me a measure of patience that I don't recall ever having before. Maybe I'm finally developing some wisdom as I approach 50 ... whatever it is, I happily accept it and invite it to stay around. Taking things in small steps, focusing on the choices I can make now rather than the big goal that's of necessity several months away, and being okay with making a not-so-great choice every once in a while is doing what I want: molding a new life for myself. It's also tremendously helpful that I've found some supportive people whom I respect.

While changing at the dojo yesterday, I noticed a bit more definition in my upper abs. I hope it wasn't just the lighting, or my imagination—I'll find out in two days when I have my four-week measurement session. I was rather wheezy yesterday—not sure why—but got through class okay. Still feeling my pullup work in my lats and arms, which is good ... although I'm probably being too easy on myself in my work, since I don't want to be too sore for karate.

I made steaks for dinner last night, but totally forgot to get out the greens and make a steak salad. Got to work on increasing the veggies! The good news is no grains yesterday, and no overeating.

Okay, I just had my steak salad. And I've done some pullup work—a couple of killer negatives (trying to slow my descent!) and some leg-assisted work. Onward we go!

Good day eating-wise yesterday: I had a steak salad for lunch; and dinner was spaghetti, but I used thinly sliced green cabbage instead of pasta. It was a little crisp, but otherwise worked very nicely as a substitute. I'm going to use the rest of that head of cabbage to make some spicy sesame cabbage today. Only one piece of fruit, too—an apple, since those have been shown to help asthma. No grains, and another day of no overeating. The cabbage really helped fill my stomach, and even though I was craving something for dessert, I recognized that as a habit rather than hunger, and successfully resisted it.

Something has been triggering my asthma lately, though. I started to wheeze during warmups at the dojo yesterday, and was never able to fully catch my breath throughout the class. That sure made it a challenging workout, but I made it through okay. I slept very well too, until wheezing awakened me. I think it might be time for another very thorough room cleaning. Urk.

Today is going to be a rest day for me, with the exception of doing some pullup work. I'm seeing slow progress, and want it to continue!

Good day, overall. No corn, but one slice of parmesan focaccia along with our steak and roasted asparagus dinner. No fruit, three squares of 50% cocoa chocolate.

I'm feeling much more resilient emotionally than I have in a long time ... and I have several things I could be seriously stressed about. We're getting a lot of snow, too, so I may have one of my favorite wintertime exercises to do tomorrow—shoveling the driveway! Just hoping my breathing doesn't go all wonky again tonight ... tomorrow morning it's check-in time with measurements!

One-Month Check-In

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My stats for today, four weeks in:
    Weight: 154 lb.
    Bust: 37.25"
    Waist: 32" ⇒ loss of 1.5 inches!
    Hips: 39" ⇒ loss of 1 inch!

I am very pleased with my results so far—especially since I've cheated a fair bit on the diet over these four weeks. I've also had issues with overeating, which have decreased over the past week. My progress despite those challenges gives me a lot of motivation to be more diligent about what I eat, and especially how much. The overeating is entirely psychological; I can conquer that as long as I'm mindful about why I'm seeking food.

To celebrate my accomplishment, I'm going to shovel some snow (we didn't get as much as was forecast, but there's enough to give me some exercise).

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast