Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My "Get Awesomely Fit and Healthy" Primal Journal- end the binge eating cycle!!! page

BecomeYourDream is offline Senior Member

My "Get Awesomely Fit and Healthy" Primal Journal- end the binge eating cycle!!!

Hey Everyone! So I am not new to the Primal lifestyle at all. I am a 23 year old female and heard about it all this past Fall. I am an avid athlete and coach and have always wanted to be the healthiest I could be, while looking my best! I did primal pretty well (still indulged in my 20%) for about 2 months from the middle of October until the Holiday season when I went home. I literally read every "definitive guide" and every blog post. I have read the PB twice and even have Mark's cookbook. I LOVE everything about PB. Unfortunately, I totally fell off the wagon when I went home for Christmas. While during those two months I went from a fit 133 to a very toned 125, I quickly put all that back on and then some.

I would go on these binges and then tell myself to "get it all in" because "you will be going back to Primal tomorrow". Well I have basically been cycling in and out of primal eating and binge eating ever since then. I haven't even gone a whole week without a binge. I always beat myself up about it after. Especially when my stomach is completely bloated, sore to the touch, I have a headache, I don't sleep well, my muscles are sore, and I feel like a beached whale. Yet every time I do it again!!

Well, I just binged...again, after being good for a week. It always seems to be the weekends that I fall off. Times when I am bored, or emotional, or who knows what, but it happens. Well I just weighed myself and I am up to 141. I cannot even believe it. I have always been around 133 and going primal helped me get fit but now I am just a complete mess and I am heavier than I have ever been and just feeling down about it.

It has to stop now, and that is why I am starting a Primal Journal. I hope that maybe if I post on here it will hold me more accountable, and maybe I can get some feed back and positive encouragement to keep going! Every time I read a story out there about someone who has overcome obstacles to follow the Primal Lifestyle and lead a healthy, happy life, I am inspired. I want that for myself and I plan on getting it.

Today I start my 30 Days of Strict Primal Eating. I am going to only eat primal foods. Also remove all dairy and nuts ( tend to be an issue for me). I have never done this for thirty days but saw the Whole9 Whole30 and want to try it. It starts now with an end to my binge and a start to my new healthy life!!

Starting weight- 141lbs, ~ 25% body fat
    Goal weight- 125lbs, ~16-18% body fat ??
    I will not be weighing myself or taking any "measurements" for the whole 30 days

More importantly: Want to be fit and healthy. Want to learn how to view food as fuel, and not let it have control over me. Want to feel good about the fact that I finally stuck to something and saw it through to get the results I have always wanted!

Thanks!!
    Last edited by BecomeYourDream; 02-13-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Day 1 of 30 Monday, February 14th, 2011

So I started it all today. As clean as I can be for 30 days straight in the hope that it will inspire me to continue the journey longer!

Woke up @ 8am

IF Breakfast

Workout @ 9am (supplement with BCAAs before and after)

Warm- up: 7 minutes stationary bike followed by 5 minutes of plyo warm-up
    Circuit: 3x -
    5 Dumb bell Jump Squats - 20lbs ea hand
    Abs - variety
    6 Bosu Ball Lunges (ea leg) - 25lbs ea hand
    5 Chin Ups

3x-
    Jump Rope - :45 seconds
    8 DB Row (ea arm) - 25lbs
    8 Lat Raises (ea arm) - 10lbs

Lunch @ 12:15pm : Mixed greens salad with 5oz chicken breast, kiwi, two HB eggs w/ a lil EVOO

Dinner @ 6:45pm : 3 egg omelet with baby bellas, red bell pepper, onions, 2 T organic salsa, + 1 HB egg
    -also had 5 1000mg omega-3 fish oils, vitamin d, potassium, and a multivitamin

Boxing Class @ 7:30pm - really intense today. Did mits one on one, some shadow boxing, some bag work, and some footwork- good cardio

Bed @ 11:15pm (take magnesium as well)

Overall, it was a good day! I jumped back on the horse and I am feeling really good about it. Obviously there are the every day temptations all around me, like my roommates rice crispy treats or valentine's day chocolate covered strawberries but I have turned it al down so far! Each time I say no, it feels easier to do it again.

Biggest victory today- I didn't chew ANY gum. I have recently become a gum addict (sugar free of course) ever since I started going primal. It was my new vice to get me through the day. I didn't have any today and didn't even really think about it. I am excited to see what tomorrow brings! I am just going to take each day one meal at a time and really enjoy the food I am eating!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Some people need to be very strict. Good luck on primal.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Very true! I find that when I indulge in one thing (lets say, almond butter and a piece or dark chocolate!) it is a downward spiral! I also just want to give myself a good challenge and see if I can do it. Writing on here definitely helps. I feel like I am being held accountable! I will probably loosen things up a bit when I finish the 30 days! Thanks!

Day 2 of 30 Tuesday, February 15th, 2011

Today was good! I woke up extremely sore ( I went on a 9 mile hike up a mountain on Sunday, plus boxing and lifting yesterday!!), so I decided today was a rest day. I am not usually the type to want to rest but I have a bum knee from ACL surgery a year and a half ago and I decided a good day of healing is what I need!

Woke @ 8am

IF Breakfast but had a cup of hot green tea

Lunch @ 12:15pm: 5 oz NY Strip Steak - Grass Fed Organic from Wegmans!!! The best place EVER created, with some brussel sprouts baked with
    EVOO and some pepper, 1 HB egg

Dinner @ 7pm: 2 fried eggs (in coconut oil), 1 HB egg, 5 oz ground lamb, baby bellas, spinach, red bell pepper, onion, and 3 T organic salsa

Snack @ 9pm: my roommate was cooking shrimp so I had about 1 oz of shrimp. YUM

Bed @ ~ 10:30pm

Question: Is there anything wrong with eating a lot of eggs? Because I LOVE them and could probably eat an omelet at every meal for the rest of my life

I am excited to have made it through my second day of the primal 30 so comfortably! Everyone at work always looks at me funny when I bring my meals in and turn down bread, candy, sugar, etc. but I don't even bother explaining because they are all SO sure of conventional wisdom and their "balanced" diets. No point in pushing the issue!

I definitely felt some hunger pangs this morning but just having the tea helped. Sometimes I almost feel better after I work out during IF. Gives me some new energy. I will see if I have those same results tomorrow. Also, the bloating in my stomach continues to go down.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the bloating, bad water weight out of your system? And what is the best/fastest way to lose it? I have been drinking a lot of water

I just can't wait til I make it a whole week! I want to get through a weekend because it has been a while since I have made it through a weekend without eating pizza, candy, chocolate, bread, french toast...the list continues. Once I make it through a weekend I think it will be easier to convince myself I can do a whole month!!

I do like the fact that I sleep like a baby when I eat primal. I am also hoping to start recovering from workouts etc. faster and hope that it will even help my knee. I tore my ACL playing lacrosse and it has never been the same since. I still have a number of issues with it, mostly soreness in the joint, stiffness, shin splints, etc. Has anyone had any positive results in terms of healing injuries by eating primal? . I hope so!!

Can't wait for tomorrow! and the next day! and the next! I already feel a million times healthier!

Forgot to mention my small victory of the day!! : Went grocery shopping and passed on the almond butter, cashews, almonds, walnuts that I tend to buy and devour in no time at all! Felt good!

Also, I was offered a lot of non primal food today- black russians my roommate made, some reeses pb cups and kit kats from a coworker, but I said no every time. It is hard to say no, but each time is a small victory and makes it that much easier to say no again! There is also soemthing empowering about having that kind of power when it comes to what you are putting into your body. After all, food is just fuel to help you operate daily, why not operate at your best?!?

ReneeG is offline Junior Member
    Good on you! I'm trying to come up with good primal snacks that are based on more than nuts, because it's so easy to overdo those! Still, nuts are better than cookies when you're breaking a sugar habit! I've heard that once people fully transition, they don't need the nuts as much. Sounds like you're on a roll!
    ReneeG

Quote Originally Posted by ReneeG View Post
    Good on you! I'm trying to come up with good primal snacks that are based on more than nuts, because it's so easy to overdo those! Still, nuts are better than cookies when you're breaking a sugar habit! I've heard that once people fully transition, they don't need the nuts as much. Sounds like you're on a roll!
    ReneeG
    Oh man, nuts are like a death sentence for me...but definitely better than the sugar habit! It so funny because they say that nuts are a good snack and they are "fatty" so they fill you up...well I can eat a whole jar of almond butter and then I could probably start a second one! haha...so I'm trying to not allow myself any! At least for this month!

Day 3 of 30 Wednesday, February 16th, 2011

Every day seems to be getting easier and each day my body starts to looks better! I love that it works that way! So after my day of rest I was still a little sore but I told myself I would stick to my lifting schedule (trying to get strong and shake off the extra body fat!), so I had a nice lift this morning followed by boxing at night. Very productive day

Wake @ 8AM (8.75 hours of sleep)

IF Breakfast but had another hot cup of green tea. Always tried to stay away from the coffee because I figured it would become a habit I wouldn't be able to kick once I hit the "real world" after college, but I do like me some tea.

Workout @ 9AM (supplement with BCAAs before and after)

Warm-up: 5 minutes of light biking followed by 5 bike sprints (sprint on a high resistance for 15 seconds, then go back down to light resistance and
    recover for 45 seconds) followed by 5 more minutes of light biking

Circuit: 3X -
    Dumb Bell Push Jerk 5x 30lb each hand
    Abs- variety
    Dumb Bell Bench 8x 30lb each hand
    Physio Ball Leg Curl 8x -out slow, in fast

3X-
    1-arm DB Incline 6x ea arm 30lb each hand
    Single Leg Dead Lifts (SLDL) 6x ea leg, 30lb each hand
    Box Jumps 5x

Lunch @ 12:15pm: romaine heart lettuce canoes- with fresh wild caught pan seared salmon with dill (cooked in coconut oil) w/ 2 HB eggs and 1 small avocado, followed it up with some strawberries DELICIOUS!

Dinner @ 6:15pm: 2 HB eggs (like I said, I LOVE eggs), 5 oz chicken breast, 2 T salsa, was still hungry so I had 1 can of naturally smoked kippered herring (wild caught of course) - also had 5g omega-3 fish oil, vitamin d, potassium, multivitamin
    *had never had these canned fish (except for tuna and salmon)- but I really liked them. Super tasty and easy!

Boxing @ 7:30 pm: Did 4 rounds of jump rope with crunches and 4 count push- ups and holds in between rounds, lots of combinations on the bag

Bed @ 11:30pm

Thoughts:
    -Each day I managed to get offered some crappy food. Today the soccer coach at work brought in pizza and a lacrosse mom of one of our girls sent in a big valentines day package of candy. I didn't have any of it!!! Each "no" makes me feel more empowered!!
    -My knee was pretty sore today, sometimes it feels more sore after a day of rest. I am wearing my vibrams regularly now. I have two pairs and wore them all day today even at boxing. I am hoping it will help strengthen my feet then my calves up to my knee!!
    -Usually when I have food in front of me, I will eat it all. Today I stopped when I was full both at lunch and dinner! I also have not snacked at all and don't even feel that hungry in between meals!
    -My tummy is continuing to lose the bloated look which makes me feel better! Hopefully the abs will start showing again...

On to the next one!!

Alison is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey your story sounds so much like mine it is scary!!! I also started paleo in October but fell off through the holidays...that was just too weird...not to mention our journals being started pretty much the same day=) anyway best of luck to you...I will be reading your journal as well...hopefully we can push each other to our goals!! have a good day!!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast