Thread: Natural solutions for allergy relief? page

shadowfang is offline Junior Member

Natural solutions for allergy relief?

Primal Fuel
    I LOVE the outdoors, unfortunately I can already tell this year is going to be one heck of a doozy as far as allergies go, I went outside and walked 2 an 1/2 miles, the whole time I was struggling to keep my nose from becoming niagra falls and keep from sneezing and now my head feels like halfway between a balloon and a 10 ton weight.

I've debated whether I should be taking some sort of allergy medication for this because it happens every single time I go outside-even in the winter too sometimes, it never happens indoors-but I don't want to have to take some sort of man made chemicals every day, I want to know if there is a natural solution to this first, anyone have any suggestions?

lolov is offline Senior Member
    This hasn't worked for me personally, but I've heard some folks have good success taking local honey a couple of times a day. Has to be local to you, though, so that the pollens are teh same ones you're being exposed to. Like I said. Never worked for me, but others seem to have success with it I've also heard that getting your vitamin D levels up (and getting your immune system optimized) helps as well.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Helminthic therapy, about as primal as it gets.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    jala neti

using a neti pot and pouring water through your nose can be very helpful for many people.

honey

using raw, local honey -- about two tablespoons a day -- can help with reducing allergies. how? the bees use and break up the pollen, so it is like using a vaccine. if you do this daily for a number of months -- again, it must be *local* and raw -- it will work.

by local, i mean within 5-10 miles of your house. check with your local hobby beekeepers association, or with your local government for the hive registry, and see if you can find someone within that radius keeping bees. ask them if you can buy/have honey when they harvest, and use it starting in late winter (before spring hits) for the following year's pollen season. you should be in great shape.

we moved to NZ in the late summer, and i was able to get a lot of raw, local honey. we used it daily for 4 months, and none of us have or had any allergy symptoms for this past year. and we were ripe to have them, having not been exposed to many of the local pollens. there is some science behind it too *studies* but i don't have them on hand at hte moment.

jimpag is offline Senior Member
    Supplementing with quercetin works like a charm for my allergies

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    I had fifty years of miserable hay fever, but then two years ago it was down to about 5% of normal, and last spring it was fine, too.

The answer for me was to repair the leaky gut -- if large proteins can get through your intestinal wall, they wander in the bottle causing an immune furor. Since a lot of trouble with leaky gut starts with eating glutenous grains, such as wheat, and the grass pollen causing so much trouble is closely related. it's easy to see why the problem can get rolling.

If you want to try what I did, find a book called "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall. There's also a website where people suffering from Crohn's Disease, Irritable Bowels, and Ulcerative Colitis can offer each other support. Many have totally recovered, some very fast!

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I have to agree with the previous posters on repairing any gut issues by removing gluten and dairy. And also using a neti pot regulary. Those two things significantly helped reduce my allergies.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Yes, the Neti Pot really helped me. I have been using one for years. I also take allergy serum injections, which also help greatly.

shadowfang is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for the suggestions, I will definitely try the netti pot, I only thought those were for when you get a stuffy nose during a cold or something, I didn't know you could use them to help with allergies too.

As far as honey goes, there is no way that's going to happen, I'll be moving back to Chicago in about 2 months, so there isn't any bees there lol

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    using raw, local honey -- about two tablespoons a day -- can help with reducing allergies. how?
    +1 on the neti pot, I use a squirt bottle myself. A Nielmed sinus rinse. Much more convenient.

As to the honey, be careful. It's very high in fructose. About the same as HFCS.

Gordo