Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unpleasant Surprise page

HonuRacer is offline Senior Member

Unpleasant Surprise

Primal Fuel
    I had a bit of a rude awakening today. I've been doing PB since early January. I've been working out according to the rules, ok, maybe a little more vigorously. Our weather up here just bites. It's cold and rainy every day and outdoor activities are just not pleasant. So, we got a Kinect for the XBOX for Christmas. We bought the Active 2 and Adventure games for the Kinect. The Active 2 Fitness programs are TOUGH. I've been doing the 9-week program on Medium setting. That means 25 to 30 minute full body exercise sessions (warm-up through cool-down). Includes a few sprints, some strength training with resistance bands, reflex/co-ordination, etc. Usually after the Fitness session I'll play another 30 to 45 minutes on the Adventure games with my son. Sometimes these can be more challenging than the Active 2 Fitness programs. I've noticed a lot of improvement in my endurance and some good weight loss along the way. Up until yesterday, I had lost all the Christmas baggage and then some.

So here's the thing. Some of the challenges changed in last night's set. I was doing exercises I was not doing before. When I got up this morning and got dressed, I could not get into my pants. Forget doing up the button! It's like I gained 15lbs overnight. It's not bloating, because my thighs are tight in the pant legs.

When I was in high school I was heavily into fitness. When I changed routines I did not notice that there was any change in the way my clothes fit. What's going on? Oh yea, I'm 43 now.

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    Double check that they are your pants.

Quote Originally Posted by kbn1 View Post
    Double check that they are your pants.

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    Could it be muscle?

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    Question 1: How long has it been since you wore this specific pair of pants?

Question 2: What makes you sure it isn't bloating? I don't understand the "thighs are tight in the pant legs" explanation.

I have noticed that for a day or so after a vigorous workout - especially weight training, I go up on the scale and pants can get snug. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's still there after 2-3 days.

That said, you could be retaining water for other reasons - time of month, ate more salty or carby foods than usual, etc. Again, you do not gain large volumes of fat or muscle overnight. So that leaves water retention as the main suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by bokbadok View Post
    Question 1: How long has it been since you wore this specific pair of pants?

Question 2: What makes you sure it isn't bloating? I don't understand the "thighs are tight in the pant legs" explanation.

I have noticed that for a day or so after a vigorous workout - especially weight training, I go up on the scale and pants can get snug. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's still there after 2-3 days.

That said, you could be retaining water for other reasons - time of month, ate more salty or carby foods than usual, etc. Again, you do not gain large volumes of fat or muscle overnight. So that leaves water retention as the main suspect.
    I wore those jeans just a couple days before and they were quite loose.

The tightness is still there, and it's now been 3 days. I tried them on this morning. All my clothes fit tighter, actually. The thighs are tight explanation - if it was abdominal bloating, my thighs wouldn't be tight. So I assumed I was gaining weight overall, not 'bloating'.

I haven't been eating more carbs, but did have a few dried Moroccan olives, which were quite salty. But that was 3-4 days ago, and any water retention from the salt should have abated by now. I did have 2 commercially made raw, organic Kombucha drinks that I picked up at the Planet Organic store and sucked back while I was running errands. They were the lowest in carbs that I could find, other than water. That's been the only 'out-of-the-ordinary' food/drink I've had in the last week. Everything else has been status quo. I had one apple one day, and a banana the other. No further carbs.

My cycle has been a bit wacky this time around. Took 2 1/2 weeks to fully stop.

This is driving me crazy. I can't gain weight, I have to fit into a wedding dress in 6 weeks!

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    If you are, for some reason, retaining water (and your cyclical hormones could be responsible), then you are retaining them in your entire body. Yes, abdominal "bloat" is the most common, but all of your muscles and organs can retain water. When I was young I used to gain 5-7 lbs in water weight every month... and my legs would swell so much I could hardly bend them at the knee... so it's very possible to feel the water retention in your entire body.

One guess would be that you're having some interesting hormonal fluctuations (as indicated with your cycle being odd this time around) which is causing some other things. Stress can add to that
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Am I over-reacting? Should I just let it go and keep going with what I'm doing? I still have until first week of April before the dress is going to the seamstress for zipper removal and final adjustments. If I keep working out according to Mark's schedule, am diligent in following PB I should be able to beat this, too, right? I mean I've made huge headway with my IBS. This is probably just a hiccup along the road?

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    My opinion - that dramatic of a weight gain over night and a messed up cycle - get to the doctor just to be safe. I'll can gain up to 6 pounds in bloat and things get tight, but if I eat right that day, it all comes off.

There are a lot of medical conditions that could contribute to that, and unfortunately, some of them are not something you want to mess around with (most are fully treatable though).
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Er, pregnant?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast