Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: Primal Victory of sorts.

Primal Victory of sorts.

Shop Now
    I was headed out for my long run today. Planned 10-12 miles. Usually I look forward to these runs as I get to go far enough to leave town and hit the rolling hills through wine country.

Had to go earlier than I wanted because of some family plans and didnt sleep well last night and was getting a later start and was stressing about all the stuff we need to do today and I feel sluggish because of AF and and and .....

and a block into my run I stopped and said. "I dont want to run today" and walked home.

If I can wake up tomorrow with no regrets it will be a real victory.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Good on you!

I've started listening to my body more about what kind of workout I do. A few days ago I had so much energy I literally needed to sprint! So I did! The last couple of days, sleep has been in short supply...so it's move slowly.

Congats on listening to your body!

I get it. I love my long runs too. I think about it the day before when I am getting sitter for the girl and when I am eating my sweet potato.... after gearing up for it there is now way I want to miss it. (even if I'm not in the mood when the time comes)

Tomorrow I hope you wake up happy knowing you honored yourself.

Except a month later I still have not returned to running, my appetite is hugely increased, my energy has decreased, my sleep has gone to hell, I am struggling MORE with adapting to lowered carbs and my weight has skyrocketed.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

What other forms of exercise do you do? Resistance training? Sprints? These would be great substitutes for chronic running.

Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    Except a month later I still have not returned to running, my appetite is hugely increased, my energy has decreased, my sleep has gone to hell, I am struggling MORE with adapting to lowered carbs and my weight has skyrocketed.
    I used to run a 10k EVERY day for years (before any other exercise) - longer runs at weekends. I loved the fact i ran - sometimes more than the running. I had broken ribs last year (fell while out on a long run) and was "out" for about 6 weeks. I never really got back to the volume I had and after going Primal and a hard winter - I haven't run more than 40' for months and seldom run more than sprint sessions at all any more.

When I first stopped running I gained 15lbs in 14 days!!!! That weight stayed with me - and some was still there last time I weighed last November. No idea if its still there now, but somehow my body looks "better" to me - healthier, stronger.

I miss running - but now I am afraid to go out in case I ....can't do it any more. I dread feeling like a plough-horse, struggling along. BUT I hate the loss of identity - something I think you may also have. I was a RUNNER!!

I understand - maybe you need to - run??? Whats stopping you??? Guilt??? (cos its "not primal")?? Fear (like me) of not being as "good as you were'? (you know it will come back and possibly better)?? I think you could run and be Primal - just get your rest too and run at varying paces to ensure the moving slowly and sprinting boxes are both ticked?? (This is what I tell myself - the weather is improving and I plan to run soon - not so far to begin with, but I plan to run!!)

i was running 6 miles in the sand about 4 times a week before going primal 3.5 months ago. I used to love it but now I do circuits of usually 3 excercises for about 20 minutes with high intensity and minimal rest...sometimes.. when i am feeling it. Other days i will wake up and feel like doing deadlifts and squats so i will do that. You get the idea, instinctual training! I used to stress if i missed a workout or feel groggy dragging myself to the gym when i was just not feeling it that day. Now, I have cut my workout time down to about 20-30 minutes a session but i keep the intensity HIGH. I go on my 6 mile beach runs probably once every week and a half and I am killing my old times and I don't even try! I used to have aches in my knees and lower back when I was running all of the time but now its gone. My body has changed dramatically within the last 3 months and I feel amazing! I love being Primal!!

Shop Now
    Glad to see a running post. I was just about to get back into running. I haven't run in a long time but I've been having an urge. I took up running originally to lose weight about 4 years ago but that didn't work out well (you know, the CW especially when it came to carbs and running). I've done a few marathons and halfs but never truly enjoyed the running, just the events themselves. But now, I just really, really want to run. And I feel like I will enjoy it! I plan on using the Couch to 5K to get back into it, I'm signing up for a marathon relay (fun event) with a running friend and I just feel happy! Best part, for me? I know now I will be burning fat for fuel instead of the carbs I used to load up on. I will lose fat, gain muscle and run better. (Of course, I will up the carbs as training gets closer to the main event, but for now, I am at the beginning again and don't need it just yet.)
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts