Thread: Primal Victory of sorts. page

runnergal is offline Senior Member

Primal Victory of sorts.

I was headed out for my long run today. Planned 10-12 miles. Usually I look forward to these runs as I get to go far enough to leave town and hit the rolling hills through wine country.

Had to go earlier than I wanted because of some family plans and didnt sleep well last night and was getting a later start and was stressing about all the stuff we need to do today and I feel sluggish because of AF and and and .....

and a block into my run I stopped and said. "I dont want to run today" and walked home.

If I can wake up tomorrow with no regrets it will be a real victory.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

FlyNavy is offline Member
    Good on you!

I've started listening to my body more about what kind of workout I do. A few days ago I had so much energy I literally needed to sprint! So I did! The last couple of days, sleep has been in short supply...so it's move slowly.

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Congats on listening to your body!

I get it. I love my long runs too. I think about it the day before when I am getting sitter for the girl and when I am eating my sweet potato.... after gearing up for it there is now way I want to miss it. (even if I'm not in the mood when the time comes)

Tomorrow I hope you wake up happy knowing you honored yourself.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Except a month later I still have not returned to running, my appetite is hugely increased, my energy has decreased, my sleep has gone to hell, I am struggling MORE with adapting to lowered carbs and my weight has skyrocketed.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Kyle C. is offline Member
    What other forms of exercise do you do? Resistance training? Sprints? These would be great substitutes for chronic running.

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    Except a month later I still have not returned to running, my appetite is hugely increased, my energy has decreased, my sleep has gone to hell, I am struggling MORE with adapting to lowered carbs and my weight has skyrocketed.
    I used to run a 10k EVERY day for years (before any other exercise) - longer runs at weekends. I loved the fact i ran - sometimes more than the running. I had broken ribs last year (fell while out on a long run) and was "out" for about 6 weeks. I never really got back to the volume I had and after going Primal and a hard winter - I haven't run more than 40' for months and seldom run more than sprint sessions at all any more.

When I first stopped running I gained 15lbs in 14 days!!!! That weight stayed with me - and some was still there last time I weighed last November. No idea if its still there now, but somehow my body looks "better" to me - healthier, stronger.

I miss running - but now I am afraid to go out in case I ....can't do it any more. I dread feeling like a plough-horse, struggling along. BUT I hate the loss of identity - something I think you may also have. I was a RUNNER!!

I understand - maybe you need to - run??? Whats stopping you??? Guilt??? (cos its "not primal")?? Fear (like me) of not being as "good as you were'? (you know it will come back and possibly better)?? I think you could run and be Primal - just get your rest too and run at varying paces to ensure the moving slowly and sprinting boxes are both ticked?? (This is what I tell myself - the weather is improving and I plan to run soon - not so far to begin with, but I plan to run!!)

GUN5LING3R is offline Senior Member
    i was running 6 miles in the sand about 4 times a week before going primal 3.5 months ago. I used to love it but now I do circuits of usually 3 excercises for about 20 minutes with high intensity and minimal rest...sometimes.. when i am feeling it. Other days i will wake up and feel like doing deadlifts and squats so i will do that. You get the idea, instinctual training! I used to stress if i missed a workout or feel groggy dragging myself to the gym when i was just not feeling it that day. Now, I have cut my workout time down to about 20-30 minutes a session but i keep the intensity HIGH. I go on my 6 mile beach runs probably once every week and a half and I am killing my old times and I don't even try! I used to have aches in my knees and lower back when I was running all of the time but now its gone. My body has changed dramatically within the last 3 months and I feel amazing! I love being Primal!!

Kris C is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Glad to see a running post. I was just about to get back into running. I haven't run in a long time but I've been having an urge. I took up running originally to lose weight about 4 years ago but that didn't work out well (you know, the CW especially when it came to carbs and running). I've done a few marathons and halfs but never truly enjoyed the running, just the events themselves. But now, I just really, really want to run. And I feel like I will enjoy it! I plan on using the Couch to 5K to get back into it, I'm signing up for a marathon relay (fun event) with a running friend and I just feel happy! Best part, for me? I know now I will be burning fat for fuel instead of the carbs I used to load up on. I will lose fat, gain muscle and run better. (Of course, I will up the carbs as training gets closer to the main event, but for now, I am at the beginning again and don't need it just yet.)
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts