Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muscle ups page

gunn parker is offline Senior Member

Muscle ups

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I started today working on muscle ups. I gotta say I hate you Al Kavadlo
    I'm able to do two complete hanging pull ups without help but when I started to try the muscle up... I had no clue
    No technique plus not enough strength meant only one thing, epic fail...
    Still there is always tomorrow.

Thanks Al for the challenge, can anyone else complete them?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Not yet myself but haven't been out on a "real" bar in a while so I can't gauge how much I can pull up now, height wise. It's important when training for the muscle up to start pulling lower than your chest. I had the opportunity to work out with Al Kavadlo once and he showed me that. He can do a pull up down to this belly button, so the transition over to the dip is easier. At the time I could only really pull down to my chest and maybe slightly below, but as I keep practicing (both un-weighted explosive pull ups and weighted pull ups) I've been able to pull down to below my chest. You would also benefit from doing dips on a straight bar and getting as low as you can, work gradually towards that so you don't injure your joints and always remember to warm up before working on these skills (active warm ups where you send blood to the muscles, not stretching them)

I'm sorry to say if your dead hang numbers are only 2 you have a ways to go but it's still a goal to work towards and you'll be much stronger when you're closer to a muscle up.

I'm itching to get rings (thinking about CFF rings, anybody got experience with them?) because I made a shoddy pair and it's unreal how much strength can be developed using rings/suspension training as opposed to a fixed bar, amazing really.

RobbieC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I'm itching to get rings (thinking about CFF rings, anybody got experience with them?) because I made a shoddy pair and it's unreal how much strength can be developed using rings/suspension training as opposed to a fixed bar, amazing really.
    I've never used the CFF rings, but I did splurge for the Rouge Rings and straps. Fantastic tool for all sorts of amazing body weight workouts: muscle ups, ring dips, ring pull ups, body rows, ring-push ups, ring handstand push ups (you think muscle ups are hard, try hand stand push ups on rings).

As far as muscle ups --- there are some great progressions you can train to get there. But really, as iniQuity stated, you're not going to have much luck doing actual muscle ups until you increase your pull ups. I'm still doing scaled muscle ups myself --- the rings are at a height about mid-way up my torso, I get on my knees on the ground, sitting back on my heels...grasp the rings with a reverse grip, and pull my self up using my legs as needed, then into a quick transition to a dip position and then complete a ring dip.
    Striving to live a life extraordinary.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    Thanks Al for the challenge, can anyone else complete them?
    My favorite exercise (well, one of 'em)! I managed my first muscle-up a few years ago. Been in love with them ever since. I can now do about 8-9 consecutively.

Here are my tips:

- As has been mentioned, improve your pull-ups first. You can't expect to do muscle-ups if you're only capable of 2 regular pull-ups. There's no hard and fast rule obviously, but I'd estimate that you want to be able to do at least 12 pull-ups consecutively before you consider yourself ready for the muscle-up.
    - As you progress, work on explosive pull-ups. The easiest way to do muscle-ups is to explode upward during the pull-up phase, the faster you can get your body moving upward the better because your momentum will carry you over the bar.
    - +1 for iniQuity's tip too: definitely work on pulling the bar as far down your body as possible. It's generally considered standard to just get your chin over the bar when doing a pull-up, but if you want to get muscle-ups then you need to pull yourself higher. Try touching your collarbone to the bar, then advance to touching your chest, then just below your chest, etc.
    - When you get to the point where bodyweight pull-ups are getting easier add some weight. I use a backpack with plates in it. This will help you develop strength, so you can be more explosive during the pull.

Good luck! It's a neat skill to work on, and a very satisfying accomplishment.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Oh btw, I said the easiest way to do a muscle up is by exploding upward (which it is) but they can be done slowly and controlled as well. Check out this video for the best muscle-up I've ever seen. I'm in awe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q8KMnWUsvg

I can only do the dynamic version. I would LOVE to be as controlled as that guy.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Echoing what the others have said, work on your dead-hang pull-ups. I've heard the magic number is 15 in a row, but don't quote me on that.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Here's the best tutorial I've seen for muscle ups

http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials/tutorials/53
    ad astra per aspera

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    I started today working on muscle ups. I gotta say I hate you Al Kavadlo
    Haha - thanks! You've already gotten a lot of good advice so far, but I figured I'd share the links to my muscle-up tutorial and my muscle up on rings tutorial in case anyone here hadn't seen them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    Oh btw, I said the easiest way to do a muscle up is by exploding upward (which it is) but they can be done slowly and controlled as well. Check out this video for the best muscle-up I've ever seen. I'm in awe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q8KMnWUsvg

I can only do the dynamic version. I would LOVE to be as controlled as that guy.
    I knew it was going to be this clip before I even clicked on it!

For those of you still working toward this feat: KEEP TRAINING! A muscle-up is within every man's potential!

Just for fun, here's a video of me doing some slow, controlled muscle-ups and then some fast, explosive ones

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

TimBell is offline Senior Member
    Here's a blog post I wrote on muscle ups a little while back, it also includes a video! Enjoy!! http://jungle-fit.blogspot.com/2010/09/muscle-up.html

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Just want to give you guys a heads up that I filmed a new-and-improved muscle-up tutorial today and I am hoping to have it up on my blog tomorrow or thurs.

I'll post it on the forums once it's ready!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast