Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proportional Leanness page

Patrick is offline Senior Member

Proportional Leanness

Primal Fuel
    This has likely been discussed in different ways, but here goes:

I've noticeably leaned out in the last 6 weeks or so. The first areas, I suppose very naturally, have been my calves and thighs. Another place I really notice it is right under my ribcage, with upper abs. No crazy "ripped" definition or anything, but very easy to see the muscle toning and standing out.

Now I know that the belly is the last place that men lose body fat, so I'm not surprised to still have some lingering there. However, I'm seeing very little definition in my chest (pectoral muscles) or arms. Forearms seem more naturally toned (i.e., toned even when not flexing) but biceps/triceps still look just normal, unless I flex, then they show their functional (well... kinda) strength.

Does everyone go through that progression -- namely, calves; thighs; upper abs; forearms; and then other places, with lower/main abs last -- or is there something more I could be doing?

On that last point, I've been doing SimpleFit for these past 4-5 weeks and that's really given my body the boost to start leaning out. (I always add ~60 sec of the plank to SimpleFit, including sides, and sometimes do dips, always after any timing/reps. I don't interrupt the actual routine for them.)

I'd like to stick with SimpleFit (+ my little additions), but perhaps there are a few simple exercises I could add for arms/stomach? Thoughts? Or should I just be patient and see where I'm at in about 4-6 weeks from here?
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    that sounds pretty similar to my progression. my legs have always been really strong, but when i started losing fat they began looking strong...like, ripped. i can see my abs (need to flex a little) but there's still some fat hanging out around the lower ones.
    regarding arms and chest...i haven't seen the results i want yet. my shoulders are coming in nicely, but i'm not getting the definition i expected on my upper arms (forearms are pretty good) and my chest is sort of weird. it's clear that i've got some pretty solid pecs, but i also use to have a full-on set of man boobs, and there is still some fat below my pecs. i think that will be the last place that i lose fat.
    switching to bodyweight exercises about 9 months ago really helped me lose the fat and start showing the muscle. i think it's a good idea to be patient. your results will come soon enough.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I'm having the same experience, Patrick! Almost like the fat is melting off my extremities first, then moving toward my core...

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Yes.

My shoulders were the first to show results, my waistline has barely moved. I measured all the wrong body parts when I started I think. I can SEE a difference but not measure it.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Phew. Thanks for weighing in, all -- glad to see others have similar anecdotes. I was starting to wonder what the hell I might need to change up! I'm just going to carry on as I am and keep my goal (~12% BF by the end of April) in sight. I just really want to be in visibly decent shape for summer.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Just chiming in to say that my partner also loses weight the same way--moving from the extremities toward the middle. He's now to the point that he's just working through that last bit of belly fat (his abdominals are starting to come through). The pattern for women tends to be different, in my experience, generally moving from the top of the body down with hips, lower torso (lower belly/butt) and thighs being the stubborn bits.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    My problem areas seem to be my love handles and back fat. Everything else is getting leaner. However I've only been on the program for 4 weeks.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    I think one of the major problems with yo-yo weight gain/loss is that whatever your problem area, you put weight on there first and lose it last. So each round you add to the problem area and each loss you get proportionally imbalanced. I look at my sister...who is built the same way I am . We gain in the belly, back and boobs - classic apples. We lose in the face and shoulders first, then it goes to the ankles and moves up. I saw a picture of her from a few years ago. Her face is so thin that from the neck up you would think she was skinny - almost TOO skinny - drawn. She was well over 200 lbs. Skinny hands, face, ankles. Eventually we look like the Apple in the Fruit of the loom commercials.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Just chiming in to say that my partner also loses weight the same way--moving from the extremities toward the middle. He's now to the point that he's just working through that last bit of belly fat (his abdominals are starting to come through). The pattern for women tends to be different, in my experience, generally moving from the top of the body down with hips, lower torso (lower belly/butt) and thighs being the stubborn bits.
    This has been my experience. To date, I've lost 4" off my bust, 3" off my waist (my sig tells a different story, because I'm using older measurements for it- a lil personal motivation. ), and 1" of my hips. I expect to hold on to a lot of my hip/butt weight because I'm naturally pear shaped, and well, there's the whole fertility/childbearing thing.

BohemianBo is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I also seem to go in the same order. But I usually see if first in the front of my shoulders and my clavicles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast