Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression page

Valkyria is offline Senior Member

Depression

Primal Fuel
    Are/have any of you ever been depressed? How did/do you deal with it?

I've read that various foods like eggs and dairy can cause depression, and also lack of nutrients or hormonal imbalances. Anything else?

How on earth does one figure out what the root cause is?
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyria View Post
    Are/have any of you ever been depressed? How did/do you deal with it?

I've read that various foods like eggs and dairy can cause depression, and also lack of nutrients or hormonal imbalances. Anything else?

How on earth does one figure out what the root cause is?
    I don't know where to start with this one really.

I have suffered from depression most of my life. I have had severe, clinical depression once - it lasted about 18 months and put me in hospital. I am completely "depression free" at the moment and I attribute much of that to eating the way I do now. BUT I have also had periods of being free of "the black dog" when eating RUBBISH. It seems to come out of a clear sky - not reactive (as in when someone dies etc - natural and happens to many people). Its in my family, so I think theres a genetic component that makes me susceptible. I also think there may be a strong hormonal link - though I have never seen a pattern. BUT, my sugar intake is definitely part of it - more sugar - more depression - then more sugar to self medicate - then more depression added to the feelings of self loathing. Theres a pattern I have distinguished!

Basically, there are many things we call depression and many causes of it. For some people, medication is literally a life saver, for others its not necessary or helpful and alternative therapies "work". If and when it hits, I "weather it out" these days, accept it is awful and tell myself it WILL pass. Exercise also helps me enormously, acts as a mood stabiliser somehow.

If you are saying you are personally suffering, its a process really of trial and error to find out what helps you. All I would say is if you NEED meds, don't be ashamed to take them ... until you know you don't need them any more. They have a place. Be kind to yourself. Blaming yourself for being depressed (weak/worthless/pathetic/selfpitying - I've used all those names to call myself) kind of goes with the territory, but its just another symptom.

I wish I could tell you "what to do". I can't - but I hope this helps?? I find it very hard to even talk about it - superstitiously fearing I could "wake it up"

Thank you very much for your reply.

I've been depressed for years, and I've been in hospital and taken meds. Nothing has ever really helped though.
    I do function quite well, I get up in the morning and I'm working, and on good days I can get a lot done. I do generally feel quite unhappy though, and most of the time it feels like nothing really matters. It's hard to make yourself do stuff then ... I never have any fun and enjoy myself.

I guess I could be stricter with my diet. I do tend to give in to temptations quite a lot. And maybe I shouldn't have eggs or dairy, or maybe I need a bit more carb. Will have to experiment more I guess and find out what works best for me.

It's just hard ...
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyria View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply.

I've been depressed for years, and I've been in hospital and taken meds. Nothing has ever really helped though.
    I do function quite well, I get up in the morning and I'm working, and on good days I can get a lot done. I do generally feel quite unhappy though, and most of the time it feels like nothing really matters. It's hard to make yourself do stuff then ... I never have any fun and enjoy myself.

I guess I could be stricter with my diet. I do tend to give in to temptations quite a lot. And maybe I shouldn't have eggs or dairy, or maybe I need a bit more carb. Will have to experiment more I guess and find out what works best for me.

It's just hard ...
    one thing i will say, - its come up on a couple of forums recently, is that this way of eating is great, it will help you heal, it will put food into perspective, it may help you lose weight (if you have weight you should lose) etc etc. BUT its not a "cure-all". It won't "fix" everything. If diet is part of the problem, this is for sure part of the solution. BUT I accept I will still probably have periods of depression. I hate it, I dread it - but I have had to accept it.

I worry that you are finding ways to use Primal to "beat yourself up some more"? More "being strict" isn't necessarily the way to look at it?? I try to turn that around into "what can I have that I love that will make me feel good"? For a while, that was full fat dairy - butter, cream, cheese. Put a smile on my face for sure!! Right now its the fat on/in/from my meat - mmmmmm BIG treat. Maybe for you its 3 big good meals a day, guilt free? For a while, just relax about what you're stressing about. Well, thats what I am still trying to do. Relaxed about food is a miraculous concept still for me and I cling to every moment i get of it!

For now, "function". Thats good - a real achievement when you are depressed. Really notice and savour EVERYTHING that makes you even a little bit happy. Nice cup of coffee (with cream if thats your thing), walk in the drizzle (maybe that's just me), the way you feel after running flat out (and get your breath back of course - again that could just be me), holding hands with husband while watching rubbish tv (definitely me) - even a bird singing his heart out outside your window At the risk of sounding stupid, I do all those things. Even on a black day, a hug, a sunbeam - the fact that another hour has gone and I'm an hour closer to feeling better. I cling to every one of them.

And it can go away - I am living proof. You can get well and feel happy and enjoy things and feel connected to life. Give yourself time - and cut yourself some slack.

And on that note, I feel I have wittered long enough and sound like some "happy clappy" person, so I am off!

Last edited by denise; 02-13-2011 at 03:11 AM. Reason: spelling!

I am always looking for solutions to my problems, always trying new things that might fix my problems. It's stressing me out I must admit ... And I do beat myself up whenever I fail which is most of the time.

Wish I could be more relaxed and stop thinking and worrying so much.
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

By the way it's good to hear that you are happy. It gives me hope for the future.
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

krassi is offline Member
    I've been chronically depressed for years, and diet really hasn't helped with it at all.

I use zoloft, 50mg per day. I've tried to quit my medication several times in the past, when eating healthy and exercising, and depression always returns a few weeks after I quit taking the pills. So I've come to accept that I might have to be on those meds for life, and I'm not gonna try to quit taking them again unless perhaps when my circumstances have changed significantly (girlfriend, kids, etc..)

I can't say that diet or exercise helps with my depression, but they sure do make me feel better when I am also on the meds. Meds + no primal = not depressed, meds + primal = not depressed at all, and pretty much just happy and content.

I don't see why eggs or dairy would cause depression. If diet and exercise isn't helping you then maybe it's time to see a doctor. Depression is one of those things that modern medicine can fix easily, without a lot of side effects (in most cases).

lolov is offline Senior Member
    If you want to delve into the biochemical reasons for depression you can get Dr. Julia Ross' "The Mood Cure" (which goes into diet and supplements) and I've also seen a book recommended here called something like "Curing Depression Naturally" (I think I butchered the real title, but I'm sure a quick amazon search could find it.)

I've struggled with depression most of my life. I've been on meds and off meds. Currently, I'm on a regimen of supplements (along with clean diet and exercise) that are working to keep me pretty stable. I know I will still dip down into depression from time to time, that's just the reality. But it's less often and not as deep now and I'm OK with that. If my depression were to get worse, I'd go back on meds.

I also found a lot of help in two other books. One is called "The Pursuit of Perfect" By Tal Ben-Shahar. It's about how perfectionism leads to dissatisfaction (which for me is a big part of my depression.) The other is called "Positivity" by Barbara Fredrickson which is a fairly scientific look at how our outlook affects our lives. Both gave me some valuable insights into my own thought processes and how they were negatively affecting me. I still struggle with it, but now I know it's there

Hope that helps! Good luck to you. Depression sucks.

softthings is offline Member
    i would check out cillkat's journal. she has lots of links about healing depression naturally and even a book recommendation in there. she said it has helped her tons. i am currently waiting on my book and looking forward to reading into supplementation/diet change to help with my hateful outlook on the world. i know mine is partly caused by my upbringing, i look for the worst in every situation. but, i am usually right! so how am i not to be this way? haha! seriously though, check out her journal, and shoot her a question or two. she is pretty busy, but very nice and helpful. good luck!

batty is offline Senior Member
    this is one of the books cilla recommends:

http://www.amazon.com/Depression-Fre.../dp/0345435176

buy it. it is extremely informative and can *really* help you figure out wtf is going on in your brain.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast