Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Depression page 5

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Anyone here manic depressive? I realized a few years ago I was. It's tough because you really don't want to give up the mania, stupid as it may be. My manic episodes consisted of locking myself in my room and conjuring up wild daydreams—running for president, playing right back for Arsenal, etc... But after the mania subsides you feel like crap. Tried SSRI's but they made me sleepy all day. These days I'm off medication and focusing on keeping it even-keeled. Having a regular job routine and social contact helps. I'm finding out recently that diet and sunshine make a difference too.

Best of luck to the OP and anyone else who's been depressed. It really sucks when you're having it—no other way to describe it.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    I have had depression on and off...but for me my biggest issue was terrible anxiety!! Recently I have been able to connect the dots and realised that my anxiety is closely linked to sugar consumption (depression probably had much the same genesis, but tended to happen more when things in my life were overall bad... so there were environmental factors there as well...)

I was always a sweet tooth (three teaspoons of sugar in my coffee or tea etc.) and I find sugar very addictive (eating sugar just leads to more sugar!!). My irrational anxiety had been creeping up again after Christmas (when I'd been having a lot of rubbish food) and now that I've pretty much cut out all sugar for the past couple of days my mood has been stabilised a lot.

Living with irrational anxiety is just awful, and I really hope this is the answer for me (at least in part... I'm not sure I'll ever be able to be a completely relaxed and cruisy person). If I can maintain a regular level of anxiety, it's all good (some anxiety isn't a bad thing always! But terrible irrational anxiety just makes living hell).
    Sugar consumption really can cause a lot of the unnecessary anxiety/depression that we experience day to day - I've found that since I stopped eating it, I rarely get the same problems. I think that for someone with those predispositions such as ourselves, diet can mean the difference between being depressed for a few hours and being depressed for years. You can never fully escape it but then we're not meant to anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    Isnt that the opposite of type ii diabetes though? IT makes sense either way. What is sad is I have been lazy all day and I don't want to cook supper. I have had to sit here and talk myself out of pizza. This is while recognizing that I am having a little bit of asthma like symptoms, tight chest, have to take alot of deep long breaths and I know its from the grains I ate over the weekend. Aaaarrggghhh!
    Yes Hypoglycemia is the exact opposite of diabetes, although ironically, it can actually LEAD to diabetes, a bit like a flood leading to a drought.

I hope you talked yourself out of pizza :-) My thing at the moment is to have some crunchy cucumber in the fridge - although I might need some other diversions soon if I get bored of it
    Last edited by Owen; 12-30-2012 at 03:32 PM.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    I did talk myself out of the pizza and gave in to the potato chips. Of the two the chips were a better idea but kinda like a filtered cigarette is better than a non filtered one Slow steps! Slow steps!

Why are we not meant to escape depression?

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Yes Hypoglycemia is the exact opposite of diabetes, although ironically, it can actually LEAD to diabetes, a bit like a flood leading to a drought.

I hope you talked yourself out of pizza :-) My thing at the moment is to have some crunchy cucumber in the fridge - although I might need some other diversions soon if I get bored of it
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Why are we not meant to escape depression?
    I should clarify that - I meant its natural to experience both good and bad moods, we are not designed to be in high spirits 24 hours a day although of course we shoud be in a good mood most of the time :-)
    Last edited by Owen; 12-30-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Ahhh...that makes more sense I consider Depression as something much different than the normal ups and downs of life. It is an otherworldy being, an alien parasite, a dreadful disease with no mercy. Smile...I am feeling dramatic I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    I should clarify that - I meant its natural to experience both good and bad moods, we are not designed to be in high spirits 24 hours a day although of course we shoud be in a good mood most of the time :-)

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I consider Depression as something much different than the normal ups and downs of life. It is an otherworldy being, an alien parasite, a dreadful disease with no mercy. Smile...I am feeling dramatic I suppose.
    In my experience, you are not being dramatic at all. In fact, you may be understating how horrible true depression can be.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

ONce thing I have learned is that it is a separate entity, not part of me. I can remove myself from it even when it is at its worse. It is not me, it is not mine and I will not allow it to win.

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    In my experience, you are not being dramatic at all. In fact, you may be understating how horrible true depression can be.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I see depression as a veil. For me, mental illness is different than physical, because you CAN separate yourself from it, or put it aside, and temporarily forget. Sometimes "temporary" can be a really long time. For those predisposed (like me), there is always the chance it will come back if I eat the wrong things or experience a large amount of stress. More and more, I can tune it out and keep functioning normally until I don't notice it at all. It takes practice, and it takes time.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Exactly. It takes a long time, at least it did for me. I am 46 and just started learning that in the last few years. Like this recent very small experience. I could step outside myself, acknowledge depression was present, analyzye the reasons why (consumed sugar, holidays, etc) and just keep on going. Blessedly I was with my nieces and nephew and dragged them outside to play. It made a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I see depression as a veil. For me, mental illness is different than physical, because you CAN separate yourself from it, or put it aside, and temporarily forget. Sometimes "temporary" can be a really long time. For those predisposed (like me), there is always the chance it will come back if I eat the wrong things or experience a large amount of stress. More and more, I can tune it out and keep functioning normally until I don't notice it at all. It takes practice, and it takes time.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345