Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Depression page 4

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have been in and out of therapy for years. At the moment I am doing okay though recent events have made me think perhaps I need to do some more exploring. At what point however does it just become self involved navel gazing?

Quote Originally Posted by B. Knight View Post
    Honestly, if you can afford it, I really think you should consider seeing a Therapist. Have you seen one before? You can only do so much with Diet and reading books in my opinion.

And seriously, I am really sorry. It may be the meds you are on causing the suicidal thoughts, you may want to search their name or ingredients online and see if they are messing with you.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

B. Knight is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    I have been in and out of therapy for years. At the moment I am doing okay though recent events have made me think perhaps I need to do some more exploring. At what point however does it just become self involved navel gazing?
    Honestly, I don't know. Have you examined your childhood and your relationship to your parents and other authority figures in your life? That is what I am in the process of doing, and I'll be starting Therapy when I can find a job to pay for it. If you are interested, I listen to an amazing Philosophy show, and every Sunday they have a call-in show for 2 hours starting at 10am EST. I've called in, you can check out the details here and listen to my call here. It may give you some insight and help you with a path forward, it has definitely helped me a ton.
    "You don't have forever to change yourself."
    Stefan Molyneux
    Freedomain Radio

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
    Mark Twain

I have done all of that work and do recommend it. I really am much better I found it interesting though how the suicidal thoughts started creeping in when sugar and more processed foods were also allowed. That tells me that at least in my own N=1, there is a direct coorelation between food and mood.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I found it interesting though how the suicidal thoughts started creeping in when sugar and more processed foods were also allowed. That tells me that at least in my own N=1, there is a direct coorelation between food and mood.
    Ditto for me. It's called hypoglycemia - depression is the secondary symptom. Incidentally hypoglycemia isn't a condtion or an illness, per se, it's more just a body type. Those that have it should not consume sugar, unless in the middle of a hard workout, and even then its best to use alternatives if you can.

Isnt that the opposite of type ii diabetes though? IT makes sense either way. What is sad is I have been lazy all day and I don't want to cook supper. I have had to sit here and talk myself out of pizza. This is while recognizing that I am having a little bit of asthma like symptoms, tight chest, have to take alot of deep long breaths and I know its from the grains I ate over the weekend. Aaaarrggghhh!

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Ditto for me. It's called hypoglycemia - depression is the secondary symptom. Incidentally hypoglycemia isn't a condtion or an illness, per se, it's more just a body type. Those that have it should not consume sugar, unless in the middle of a hard workout, and even then its best to use alternatives if you can.

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    At the moment I am doing okay though recent events have made me think perhaps I need to do some more exploring. At what point however does it just become self involved navel gazing?
    I think that's a really good question. The thing is - people who suffer from depression often ruminate and get stuck in negative cycles of thought. In my opinion, therapy is not just about talking about what's happened - it's a way of recognising how you think, and how your thoughts can shape your actions and inadvertently cause you to make your fears a reality. It's all about finding the right therapist though, and going for as long as you need = not setting a time frame on it.

there is a direct coorelation between food and mood.
    I totally agree! I feel so much better when I am eating a balanced diet. (And "balanced" is different for everyone. I need to include some sweet treats- otherwise I can go on four day binges where I eat Ben and Jerry's for breakfast, and then starve myself for a week afterwards. THAT makes me depressed!)

But if depression is a issue that stems from childhood, then I would think it's more than dietary. Diet just becomes part of the problem. Paraphrasing someone said on the first page - nutrition is not the answer to everything, but it definitely helps.

I have spent much time over the years trying to pin down exactly why I am depressed. I mean what gets a 12 year old to the point of suicide? I was not molested or physically abused. My mother was to some degree emotionally abusive and my father did little to protect us from that. But you know, you reach a point in life where you have to say 'my parents blew it but i am now responsible for myself'. I guess at 12 I couldn't do that. And it took me a long time to get there. I don't know how much of it is a chemical imbalance, how much is food, how much is circumstances. I know that I self medicated with food from a very early age like 6 or so and still will do so though my med of choice is popcorn, potatochips, nachos, etc. I admit I have spent the night with Ben and Jerry and their chocolate chip cookie dough. Oh my my My goal now is to be off meds. I have told myself if I can consistently have physical activity for 6 months solid and develop a routine then I will start trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I think that's a really good question. The thing is - people who suffer from depression often ruminate and get stuck in negative cycles of thought. In my opinion, therapy is not just about talking about what's happened - it's a way of recognising how you think, and how your thoughts can shape your actions and inadvertently cause you to make your fears a reality. It's all about finding the right therapist though, and going for as long as you need = not setting a time frame on it.

I totally agree! I feel so much better when I am eating a balanced diet. (And "balanced" is different for everyone. I need to include some sweet treats- otherwise I can go on four day binges where I eat Ben and Jerry's for breakfast, and then starve myself for a week afterwards. THAT makes me depressed!)

But if depression is a issue that stems from childhood, then I would think it's more than dietary. Diet just becomes part of the problem. Paraphrasing someone said on the first page - nutrition is not the answer to everything, but it definitely helps.

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I have spent much time over the years trying to pin down exactly why I am depressed. I mean what gets a 12 year old to the point of suicide?
    But you know, you reach a point in life where you have to say 'my parents blew it but i am now responsible for myself'. I guess at 12 I couldn't do that. And it took me a long time to get there. I don't know how much of it is a chemical imbalance, how much is food, how much is circumstances. I know that I self medicated with food from a very early age
    If you've gotten to the point where you dont blame your parents anymore then it sounds like you're in a good place to start finding out some deeper truths Depression is still such a mystery for me. I know it's multi factoral, but I still don't know which of the factors (genes, lifestyle, thoughts) have the greatest influence. I would be inclined to think it's thoughts. Fears that take over your way of thinking can be disastrous. And thoughts are kind of genetic (we often inherit our parents fears and neurosis).

I don't know if you've heard of "The Life Script"? It's a theory in psychology. It makes a lot of sense to me. What is the Life Script?

I don't know if you've heard of "The Life Script"? It's a theory in psychology. It makes a lot of sense to me. What is the Life Script?
    I have never heard it called that but I am aware of the theory and aware that I certainly had a "loser" life script. Recreating it is an ongoing process. I appreciate the link. It gives me some ideas to work with.

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I have had depression on and off...but for me my biggest issue was terrible anxiety!! Recently I have been able to connect the dots and realised that my anxiety is closely linked to sugar consumption (depression probably had much the same genesis, but tended to happen more when things in my life were overall bad... so there were environmental factors there as well...)

I was always a sweet tooth (three teaspoons of sugar in my coffee or tea etc.) and I find sugar very addictive (eating sugar just leads to more sugar!!). My irrational anxiety had been creeping up again after Christmas (when I'd been having a lot of rubbish food) and now that I've pretty much cut out all sugar for the past couple of days my mood has been stabilised a lot.

Living with irrational anxiety is just awful, and I really hope this is the answer for me (at least in part... I'm not sure I'll ever be able to be a completely relaxed and cruisy person). If I can maintain a regular level of anxiety, it's all good (some anxiety isn't a bad thing always! But terrible irrational anxiety just makes living hell).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast