Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Depression page 3

fortunata1 is offline Junior Member
    Depression has been a life long struggle for me. Suicidal thought have been a constant companion since childhood. Tried therapy, meds you name it. The last diagnoses was TRD: treatment resistant depression...go figure.

I turned a corner a few years ago with a combination of a vitamin b-Complex, 400mg of SAM-E first thing in the morning and another SAM-E at mid day (Jarrow Labs gives me the best results, tried many others). I also take 100mg of 5HTP before bed and sometimes during the day if I'm experiencing anxiety.

I've been to many dark place but this combo has really helped. I'm not a doctor, just sharing what's helped me.

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    Yes, please do read the book. Please don't start taking something as powerful as this just because you heard some good things on a message board.
    Thanks, I wouldn't! I've done a lot of reading around this one, just not that book. I'm looking for a slight adjustment on what I've arrived at following Primal for over a year. Being free of the bipolar I can now see where some extra adjustments can be made - before it was just one big muddle! It's mostly to achieve a regular less broken, restful sleep (when I wake now I can feel compelled to eat and certainly notice some cravings in the second half of the cycle - just read some interesting bits on why that might be and running low on serotonin is part of the picture) and looking at all the science this is definitely the way I think to address it. Also looking at magnesium too. This is definitely an area where its easy to be deficient especially as most of the magnesium foods are not part of a Primal diet and there is only so much spinach I can eat LOL. After years of beating my body into submission with mammoth training regimes as an iron-distance triathlete on a high carb vegetarian diet I'm very willing to see that I've probably run some reserves very low!
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin D completely turned it around for me. This used to be the worst time of year for me, Jan-March, and this time I am just fine. I take 5000 iu D3/day, highly recommended. I have Norwegian heritage and I think we are very prone to Seasonal Affective Disorder, especially living at a northern latitude as I do. Really recommend you try the D3, maybe even start with 10,000/day for a few weeks, just to fill up your tank.

dakini is offline Senior Member
    I've found that supplements (Omegas, Vitamin Bs, Vit D) have helped a lot. I am currently on meds as well, and will try again to get off of them (I was while trying to conceive my daughter and through my whole pregnancy, but PPD got me). I'm also finding that Primal is helping me, but more that I have more energy to do things, which helps me out.

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aktres View Post
    Vitamin D completely turned it around for me. This used to be the worst time of year for me, Jan-March, and this time I am just fine. I take 5000 iu D3/day, highly recommended. I have Norwegian heritage and I think we are very prone to Seasonal Affective Disorder, especially living at a northern latitude as I do. Really recommend you try the D3, maybe even start with 10,000/day for a few weeks, just to fill up your tank.
    Yes, I should have mentioned the Vitamin D3, that is also on my regime. I'm taking 2000 IU at the moment and might well build to 4000 IU by the end of this week - didn't want to go mad and have a reaction - from no tablets to a pile is a bit alarming! I live at 57 north so a bit further south than you. I had a 5 day sunshine holiday in mid October which has seen me through but I'm sure the last few weeks are due to a depletion as we have had a pretty bad winter here and it's been very hard to get out.

I think evolutionary speaking Grok would have been much less active during these months had he lived at our latitudes and perhaps conserved his reserves better. We of course carry on with a similar physical regime all through the year and that makes a difference I think.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Kelda: Even if you take an amino complex (which does not contain L-tryp or 5-HTP), it will definitely help you. Make sure you get something with 21 aminos. That could be something to start right away, until you can become more clear on which route to go (if at all) with the L-tryp vs. 5-HTP.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I saw my naturopath today. She knows I am on 5-HTP, but I confirmed my dosage with her. She is fine with it. She said the only potential problem, serotonin syndrome, might develop if I was on any extremely high dose (much higher than I'm on now). I asked her what the symptoms of serotonin syndrome might be (maybe I have it and don't even know about it!). She said, no, you'd definitely know, and that I would feel like I've had about 10 cups of coffee and I'd be running a high fever. She said she does advise 5-HTP on occasion, and she's never had any of her patients develop serotonin syndrome from 5-HTP. She is quite intrigued that I haven't binged a single time since beginning it .... 8-1/2 months now. (I actually sat down with a calendar and counted up the months the other night. I was mistaken when I previously reported it was 7 months.)
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Owen is online now Senior Member
    For me it was always a case of sugar=depression. I've never been a big bread eater but I've found that the grain free diet adds an extra element of energy and health. I struggled with depression all my life and recently decided to give up sugar. My entire demeanour and behaviour changed within 48 hours. To be honest sugar was my problem, I would often binge on chocolate or cakes etc. I recently saw this video about hypoglycemia and it pretty much describes me down to a tee. Also note their reccomendation of a paleo breakfast as a way to curb cravings. The irony of eating sugar is that it actually LOWERS our blood sugar levels, and, crucially, cuts out energy supplies to the brain. Do we need to say more....!

Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia -

PS hope its ok to resurrect this post, I was looking for one about depression to see whats already been said
    Last edited by Owen; 12-29-2012 at 05:42 AM.

valmason01 is online now Senior Member
    Since this post has been revived...I also have been depressed the majority of my life. The first time I remember considering suicide was at around 12. I have fought that battle more than once and have always won. Since just before Thanksgiving I have been adding in some less than stellar food choices, primarily potato chips, corn chips and popcorn and too many trips to Sonnys BBQ. I even broke down and made gluten free brownies (Bobs Red Mill) and over Christmas ate too much sugar and had alcohol something I havent had in at least 6 months. I noticed depression creeping in and some odd here and there suicidal thoughts. A short lived romantic relationship added to the mix. The last few days I have gone outside and moved a lot, the sun has been out and I could tell a difference. I am on meds but my goal is to get off of them. So..for me I think it is sugar in any form, lack of exercise and sunshine, and grains. That said I still have low energy which drives me crazy. In my mind depression and low energy are linked. Anyone else had that problem?
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

B. Knight is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    The first time I remember considering suicide was at around 12.
    Honestly, if you can afford it, I really think you should consider seeing a Therapist. Have you seen one before? You can only do so much with Diet and reading books in my opinion.

And seriously, I am really sorry. It may be the meds you are on causing the suicidal thoughts, you may want to search their name or ingredients online and see if they are messing with you.
    Last edited by B. Knight; 12-29-2012 at 06:16 AM.
    "You don't have forever to change yourself."
    Stefan Molyneux
    Freedomain Radio

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
    Mark Twain

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast