Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar worse than cigarettes page

Clymb is offline Senior Member

Sugar worse than cigarettes

Shop Now
    I keep hearing lately how sugar is worse than cigs...what do you guys think??? That's all. Lol.

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure, but personally I think they're both bad in different ways.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

denise is offline Senior Member
    Maybe one way it's "worse" isn't so much in its effect as the fact its so damn hard to avoid? Give up cigarettes and you don't find nicotine is surreptitiously added (under all sorts of names) to everything you buy. Also, we don't give cigarettes to our children from a young age as a "treat" and help them onto the road to addiction? Sugar is still seen as a benign, "ok if done in moderation" substance ... that (mis)perception makes it even more dangerous.

Long term, because we have made it ubiquitous in our diets, we may find it causes a more widespread health timebomb than cigarettes ever did/will?

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    Maybe one way it's "worse" isn't so much in its effect as the fact its so damn hard to avoid? Give up cigarettes and you don't find nicotine is surreptitiously added (under all sorts of names) to everything you buy. Also, we don't give cigarettes to our children from a young age as a "treat" and help them onto the road to addiction? Sugar is still seen as a benign, "ok if done in moderation" substance ... that (mis)perception makes it even more dangerous.

Long term, because we have made it ubiquitous in our diets, we may find it causes a more widespread health timebomb than cigarettes ever did/will?
    That's a good point.
    If you never start smoking it's quite easy to avoid, but sugar is everywhere. Very addictive it is too.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    I keep hearing lately how sugar is worse than cigs...what do you guys think??? That's all. Lol.
    So long as people stay away from smoking sugar, we should be okay.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    I was actually thinking about this sort of thing the other day and I'd say as bad as alcohol and tobacco is, there are probably more, even worse, consequences from all the sugar "we" ingest every day...

StoneAgeQueen is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    So long as people stay away from smoking sugar, we should be okay.
    I heard that they sweeten some cigarettes with HFCS.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    I heard that they sweeten some cigarettes with HFCS.
    Jesus H. God-dancing Christ... what will they think of next! lol
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

StoneAgeQueen is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    jesus h. God-dancing christ... What will they think of next! Lol
    lmao!!

ciep is offline Senior Member
    My friend and I were comparing sugar to cigarettes at work last week! Which is "worse" probably depends on how often and in what amount you abuse them (and if you have any existing preconditions). If a person binges on sugar regularly (like many people) and only has an occasional "social cigarette" (say once a month), then the sugar's likely doing more harm than the smoking.

Either way though, I like making this comparison for people when discussing sugar with them. People don't realize how addicting it really is! Most people just thing they "like" sugar, or that it "tastes good". They don't realize that it's actually a seriously addicting substance (in many ways!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast