Thread: PLEASE HELP!!! Bad reaction to Cotrisone Injection page

hermanda is offline Senior Member

Exclamation PLEASE HELP!!! Bad reaction to Cotrisone Injection

Hi there everyone. I need your help.
    I'm in desperate need of any and all advice and stories. I had a cortisone injection into my low back on Wednesday and since then have been dealing with an increase of really unpleasant side-effects which are starting to border on scary (am waiting to hear from my doctor.) Thursday and Friday I felt like I had the flu, face and ears had flushes of heat and were red, my stomach way upset so I had very little appetite and i was exhausted. Saturday morning at about 1am I started to feel shaky, like I was having a sugar crash (though my appetite was low I had been eating and high in fat) and my heart was pounding. All I wanted was chocolate so I had a couple of pieces and went back to sleep. Today all of the symptoms have been through the roof: anxiety, shaky, heart racing and pounding, palpitations, starving and of course craving carbs like crazy, flushing, burning eyes and extreme exhaustion. Now I'm trying not to freak out about all the food I just consumed and am more concerned with what I am reading online about others who have dealt with an adverse reaction to a cortisone injection, particularly the fact that it can mess with the liver, kidneys, adrenals, and it can take 6-8 months for the body to stabilize. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of they can share to help me through this?
    Thank you so so much!!
    PS
    My mom gave me one of anti-anxiety meds and though I feel tired my heart is still pounding away. I'm so scared I just fracked up my body again after I just got it all put back together (ie no PCOS, IBS and the weight has gone

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hugs. I'm afraid that's all I can give you. Honestly though, if i were you I would go to the ER or urgent care. Hope it gets better soon.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Hugs. I'm afraid that's all I can give you. Honestly though, if i were you I would go to the ER or urgent care. Hope it gets better soon.
    +1
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have done steroid injections, IV steroids, and oral as well. I am sorry that you are having such bad side effects. The flushing and heart pounding/racing are, unfortunately, normal for moderate or high dose steroids. Also the carb cravings are ridiculous....I remember waking up in the night wanting cheese danish so badly I thought I would die For the vast majority of people, the symptoms you are experiencing don't result in anything serious happening and do NOT last 6-8 months. It does happen where someone will have adrenal glands that don't want to kick back in as the steroids leave their systems, but it is not the most likely scenario. MS patients sometime do treatment with more than ten times more steroid than you were likely given, and most of them do okay.

High dose steroids can induced mania or psychosis. I believe you should go in to be evaluated to make sure that this isn't happening to you. Steroids will make you more emotional..... so go easy on yourself. See your doctor and let them check you out, but most of what you are describing sounds not too far off from my experiences.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    It's funny but this actually helped a bit:-) I didn't expect a virtual hug as a response but I should have know given this wonderful community. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    +1
    Thanks Runnergal. Every bit helps:-)

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I have done steroid injections, IV steroids, and oral as well. I am sorry that you are having such bad side effects. The flushing and heart pounding/racing are, unfortunately, normal for moderate or high dose steroids. Also the carb cravings are ridiculous....I remember waking up in the night wanting cheese danish so badly I thought I would die For the vast majority of people, the symptoms you are experiencing don't result in anything serious happening and do NOT last 6-8 months. It does happen where someone will have adrenal glands that don't want to kick back in as the steroids leave their systems, but it is not the most likely scenario. MS patients sometime do treatment with more than ten times more steroid than you were likely given, and most of them do okay.

High dose steroids can induced mania or psychosis. I believe you should go in to be evaluated to make sure that this isn't happening to you. Steroids will make you more emotional..... so go easy on yourself. See your doctor and let them check you out, but most of what you are describing sounds not too far off from my experiences.

Best of luck.
    Thank you so much for the response!! I'm going to speak with my doc on the phone today. The symptoms are still pounding away but i'm taking my mom's anti-anxiety meds and they seem to take to edge off. I felt insane yesterday and like I was being chased by a wolf. Totally primal-run-for-my-life moment but there's nothing there. I am also actively ignoring the dancing sugar fairy/monster on my shoulder. AH!!!! Chocolate and cheesecake PLEASE!!!!
    What can I do to support the adrenals?
    It sounds like I just hit my system with a bunch of cortisol so do you know what I could take in order to kick it out faster?
    Thank you for sharing your story with me.

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hermanda View Post
    Thank you so much for the response!! I'm going to speak with my doc on the phone today. The symptoms are still pounding away but i'm taking my mom's anti-anxiety meds and they seem to take to edge off. I felt insane yesterday and like I was being chased by a wolf. Totally primal-run-for-my-life moment but there's nothing there. I am also actively ignoring the dancing sugar fairy/monster on my shoulder. AH!!!! Chocolate and cheesecake PLEASE!!!!
    What can I do to support the adrenals?
    It sounds like I just hit my system with a bunch of cortisol so do you know what I could take in order to kick it out faster?
    Thank you for sharing your story with me.
    sorry to sound preachy - but please don't take anyone elses medication!!!! For anything. If you need meds, see a doctor, get diagnosed and get the right one. In the meantime, medicate with carbs if you must. Got to be less potentially harmful than someone elses prescription drugs.

Just my opinion. Get well soon.

Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    sorry to sound preachy - but please don't take anyone elses medication!!!! For anything. If you need meds, see a doctor, get diagnosed and get the right one. In the meantime, medicate with carbs if you must. Got to be less potentially harmful than someone elses prescription drugs.

Just my opinion. Get well soon.

I take your sermon as concern so thank you but I am an adult and am familiar with the medication having taken it for long plane rides. I'm not just grabbing any old perscription drug and downing it. My doctor also has agreed with me until he can see me monday. I think medicating myself with carbs until I vomit is no way to heal the sugar crashes that have been kicked up by this either. That continues this snowball storm and does more harm to me metabolically then taking something to help me slow my racing heart.

denise is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by hermanda View Post
    I take your sermon as concern so thank you but I am an adult and am familiar with the medication having taken it for long plane rides. I'm not just grabbing any old perscription drug and downing it. My doctor also has agreed with me until he can see me monday. I think medicating myself with carbs until I vomit is no way to heal the sugar crashes that have been kicked up by this either. That continues this snowball storm and does more harm to me metabolically then taking something to help me slow my racing heart.
    I don't recall advising you to eat anything til you vomited, I certainly wasn't trying to harm you. Sermon withdrawn. Do as you wish. Sorry to have interfered, I won't again, I just heard a plea for help and answered.