Thread: The wife started eating Primal! But she stopped losing weight... page

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member

The wife started eating Primal! But she stopped losing weight...

Shop Now
    After a year of eating Paleo, my wife decided to join me. She dropped 4Lbs in the first week, but since then hasn't lost any more weight (she's at week six now). I told her to do what I did (which helped me lose 25Lbs) by eating high fat, good amount of protein and plenty of vegetables and to eat when she's hungry, and don't eat if she's not.

Any ideas why this is happening? Should she eat less? I really don't want her to start worrying about calories or portion size... that's so Weight Watchers.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Has she tried measuring herself instead of using the scale? Often dimensions shift around, even when the scale does not (and I find male vs female requirements are different, not to mention individuals differing). It might be that she needs to eat more or incorporate more carbs.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    If she eliminated some carbs when she began, that 4lbs was water, which is a natural part of carb reduction. If she's not losing, it's quite simply that she is eating for maintenance and doesn't have a calorie deficit. I can appreciate her not wanting to 'count,' but the only other solution is to eat less. She might either trim her portions or skip one meal--e.g., when I was working (retired now), I never ate lunch--just breakfast and dinner--and I lost slowly but steadily.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Unless she is massively overweight I wouldn't worry about the scale. I have been Primal since Thanksgiving and I have gained 8 lbs. And I was no fragile Ferdie to begin with either. I am 211lbs at 5'10", but I can see my abs starting to come through and getting leaner by the day. It just all depends on how her body responds to the nutrients and exercise. As unsuperb said, are the body measurements changing?

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Can you post what a typical day of food is like for her?

FlyNavy is offline Member
    Since using Fitday to log my food, I've seen large gains since I can really narrow in my caloric intake...I just have a much better idea of how much equals the carb total I'm trying to hit as well.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    Don't watch the scale. Dont weight every week. Instead maybe once every 2 weeks do a pinch test or measure waist, hip, bust, arms and thighs.
    Is she working out at the same time? Sometimes fat is replaced by muscle in equal weight.

Oh also "trust the process". Weight loss is not perfect. It varies week to week, month to month.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barryman9000 View Post
    After a year of eating Paleo, my wife decided to join me.
    Who had been eating Paleo for a year, you or your wife?
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)