Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barefoot on hard surfaces? page

huntergirlhayden is offline Senior Member

Question Barefoot on hard surfaces?

Primal Fuel
    I'm a baker, I stand on cement floors 8 to 12 hours a day. I'm primal, I don't like to wear shoes. I have to wear shoes in the kitchen, no option, but the type is negotiable. I'm saving up for Vibrams and I'd be able to wear them, but would it be wise. Going barefoot is all well and good on natural surfaces, but would it be a positive thing to do on man made brutally hard surfaces? Thoughts, comments? Suggestions?
    "It is not what you are that holds you back, it is what you think you're not."
    Denis Waitley

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I have been wearing Vibrams daily since last March, including to work at a fiber optics factory with concrete floors.

I have to say, my feet do not feel anywhere near as tired as they did when I was wearing shoes. I highly recommend it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I have to say, my feet do not feel anywhere near as tired as they did when I was wearing shoes. I highly recommend it.
    This. I live in an urban area so I try to get out in the backcountry for hikes as often as possible but I still end up on pavement most of the time. The VFFs are great for taking the strain off your joints.

Good deal! I'm super glad to hear that, I have planter fascitis and I'm hoping the switch will help change that, my feet hurt so bad in the mornings, even the smallest relief would be welcome. I hike barefoot and even after 4 hours on rocky soil my feet never hurt, but when I get off a shift at work I feel every step I took.
    Thanks for the help!
    Denis Waitley

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I am still trying to figure out the barefoot/vibram while standing all day. After months of working up, I feel fabulous in vibrams while walking/hiking/etc for longer distances then I have ever done in my life. But standing for long periods (such as cooking all day in my kitchen) is still causing me heel and leg pain. I am thinking I need to work on shifting my weight forward more, less standing on heels and more balancing on the balls of my feet. Not sure if this is the answer, but ready to experiment.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    I used to work in a kitchen and the whole idea with shoes was that they protected your feet when dangerous stuff (ie, knives) fell off counters. It happens. Would vibrams protect you in that case? (Or do you not have knives or mobile marble cutting/rolling surfaces or other things that would injure your feet if they fell on them?)

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    But standing for long periods (such as cooking all day in my kitchen) is still causing me heel and leg pain. I am thinking I need to work on shifting my weight forward more, less standing on heels and more balancing on the balls of my feet
    You could try the tai chi/qigong standing exercise/meditation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnckgTx3-rE

Having a teacher correct you is way easier than learning from a video, but you could try, the explanations in the video are good.

pebblehead is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    I am still trying to figure out the barefoot/vibram while standing all day. After months of working up, I feel fabulous in vibrams while walking/hiking/etc for longer distances then I have ever done in my life. But standing for long periods (such as cooking all day in my kitchen) is still causing me heel and leg pain. I am thinking I need to work on shifting my weight forward more, less standing on heels and more balancing on the balls of my feet. Not sure if this is the answer, but ready to experiment.
    Same here. My plantar fasciitis was pretty much healed after starting to go for walks in my VFF's, mostly on hard street surfaces. However, I started working from home a few months ago, and decided I'd make an effort to stand at least 6 hrs/day (hardwood floors) instead of sitting in a chair all the time, and now my feet and back both hurt, and I'm back to foot pain in the morning after having been free from it for well over a year. I can't wait until winter is over so I can start walking again.

pebblehead is offline Member
    Thank you, PatrickF. I will also take a look at the video.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by spughy View Post
    I used to work in a kitchen and the whole idea with shoes was that they protected your feet when dangerous stuff (ie, knives) fell off counters. It happens. Would vibrams protect you in that case? (Or do you not have knives or mobile marble cutting/rolling surfaces or other things that would injure your feet if they fell on them?)
    I work in a bakery so there aren't large knives that could be dropped. If I was working in a regular kitchen on a hot line I would be very wary of wearing anything but a thick shoe, even in steel toed shoes I've had my feet get hurt on a line. But this job is far less... shall we say, dangerous? At least as far as my feet would concerned, my arms are a road map of burn scars, but thats the life of a baker! Its a good point to consider, one that has held me back slightly, but I've been making an effort to be conscious of it the last week and I really don't feel like there would be an issue. My concern lies more in the surface that I'd be standing on.
    Denis Waitley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast