Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the sugar in fruit ok? page

deadeyenight is offline Junior Member

Why is the sugar in fruit ok?

Shop Now
    It seems the main problem with carbs is that they turn to sugar. Fruit has a ton of sugar. Aside from the fact that it's a natural part of the human diet, what's the nutritional rationality as to why it's ok to eat fruit on a primal diet?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    There is none. Fructose in most modern fruits is in excess of what we were designed to be able to safely digest. This says it all for me:http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...-or-magic.html

That said, we are sweet-loving creatures and fruit definitely satisfies that craving!

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    Not all fruit has a ton of sugar. Fruit has vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber etc.

If you're really concerned with some of the higher sugar fruits choose blackberries, raspberries, strawberries then blueberries. Black/Raspberries have the lowest sugar and highest fiber then strawberries followed by blueberries.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    if you're counting carbs be sure to count the carbs in your fruit as well. this ain't weight watchers!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    You could always eat wild fruit. Wild apples are great, but a bit tart. Watch out for wild grapes. They make your face pucker.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Here's another good one

"There are 13 vitamins and fruit is good for one of them, vitamin C."
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/fo...on-expert.html

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    The fiber in fruit can slow down the absorption of the sugar in the body. You won't get an insulin hit that is as huge eating fruit as you would eating sugar or juice.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    if you're counting carbs be sure to count the carbs in your fruit as well. this ain't weight watchers!
    Which carb?

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acteon View Post
    The fiber in fruit can slow down the absorption of the sugar in the body. You won't get an insulin hit that is as huge eating fruit as you would eating sugar or juice.
    Yeah, but fiber prolonging the introduction of sugar into the bloodstream means that insulin is going to be elevated longer as well, following the pattern of sugar absorption. Dr Harris says that for those with a normal metabolism, the glycemic index of a food doesn't really matter as long as you don't over-consume fructose (and to a lesser extent glucose and glucose polymers)

Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    I think most of us understand carbs as the human-digestible ones -- glucose, fructose, amylose (starch). Indeed, amylose has a very high GI, almost as high as pure glucose since we're very efficient at breaking it down. As I recall, glucose is 100, white bread is in the 80s, and sucrose (table sugar) is in the 60s.

Anyhoo, the PB stance is that fruit is ok in moderation -- it's an indulgence, just like the sugar in my tea or chocolate. Eat some, enjoy it, don't go overboard.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    good question. i count total, and it seems to be working for me. some people count net (total-fiber), and really it could get a lot more complex than that. do what works for you.
    (btw, i'll check out that link later, after i've had some sleep)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast