Thread: Initial success to stall page

Mt Goat is offline Junior Member

Initial success to stall

Primal Fuel
    Quick question for the forum. Started PB about a month ago. Seemed to have lost a quick 6-7 lbs in the first three weeks. Been eating about 90% primal for the whole time. The diet has been almost entirely meat, veggies, salad, eggs, minimal dairy. If I had to guess I would say that my total carb intake is well under 100 g/day. Trying not to pay too much attention to the scale, but rather how I look. Been walking a lot, definitely getting about 5 hrs/wk and had my first 18 hour fast this week. Any advice or similar experiences out there from the PB veterans?

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    So based on the post title, I'm assuming that you have stalled and wondering if this is common? YES. The rapid initial weight loss is largely composed of water, as the body reduces inflammation and adjusts to the lower carb intake. Are you still losing fat? YES. The scales don't show it, and almost everyone here will tell you (some have posted graphs of their weight loss recently) that the weight loss is not linear. Stalls of up to several weeks are common, and should not be cause for concern AS LONG AS you are eating primally. It takes the body time to change it's chemistry to effectively burn fat for fuel, and those changes are not complete after 3 weeks. Trust the process.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    One week - especially one week in your first month - is not a stall. Weight loss is not linear, it slows and speeds up, it stops and starts. If you stick at the same weight for three straight months, come back and say it's a stall.

All right, all right...so you were right. Thanks for the info and reminding me to trust the process. Things seem to be moving along again.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt Goat View Post
    Quick question for the forum. Started PB about a month ago. Seemed to have lost a quick 6-7 lbs in the first three weeks. Been eating about 90% primal for the whole time. The diet has been almost entirely meat, veggies, salad, eggs, minimal dairy. If I had to guess I would say that my total carb intake is well under 100 g/day. Trying not to pay too much attention to the scale, but rather how I look. Been walking a lot, definitely getting about 5 hrs/wk and had my first 18 hour fast this week. Any advice or similar experiences out there from the PB veterans?
    I would also add...even though Im still a 'newby' and only in my 8th week PB...you may be sensitive to dairy. It has been proven to be insulinogenic and thus will bring you out of ketosis and stall fat burning. So, if you are really serious about obtaining fat loss and value that the most over the health benefits of PB...then you may want to consider dropping dairy altogether.

If you dont care that much...enjoy your dairy and health benefits of PB.
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Fat loss is definitely important, but at this point it has been far outweighed by stable energy levels. I've always been the type that had to eat every 2-3 hours while eating SAD and would have a super short fuse when I got hungry. Feeling stable, satisfied, and sustained are definitely the most important part of the whole thing. Oh yeah, and all of the degenerative processes being halted by shifting from SAD to PB. I just think people try so hard to lose weight and get frustrated when they think they're doing everything right only to have it be seemingly ineffective. I guess you can't fault people for this perception when they've struggled with that for so long by trying to exercise and starve themselves thin to no avail.

I guess it's just part of the primal learning curve.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Seriously though....consider removing dairy. Its more of the Paleo vs Primal thing. PB is more relaxed about it, Paleo definitely says "no" to dairy.

I personally have nearly eliminated it from my diet. I was a HUGE cheese eater before PB (I would have a block of cheese for lunch on certain days). My goal is to get rid of it completely. So far, since startinf PB and gradually removing cheese/dairy from my diet...I have lost 17 lbs. Im in my eighth week.
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

I don't eat tons of dairy but i have been flirting with the idea of cutting it out completely for a while. now that i've given up pizza it's not that big of a deal except when it comes to bunless bacon cheeseburgers.