Thread: Lunch or 2nd meal Help page

SarahByDesign is offline Junior Member

Lunch or 2nd meal Help

Primal Fuel
    To start, I am a sheriff's deputy and work 12 hour shifts either on days or nights depending on the month. I have tried to eat more for the first meal so I could potentialy skip this meal on my workdays as it is often hard to eat while on patrol in a car.....My options are fast food with the guys, if time and location permits run home btw calls or bring something to eat in my car.....I want to lean towards the option of brining something to eat in my car but am at a loss for what to bring because I never seem to bring anything thing that satisfies my hunger and keeps me going for the remainder of my shift.

Any car friendly no access to heating source ideas would be welcome!!!!! I had to break down and buy a convience store snack today due to lack of enough food in the lunch box....As an example today I brought primal energy bars that I made from Mark's recipe, an apple and celery on top of a protien shake and banana for breakfast.....I know I should have cooked eggs and bacon but just wasn't feeling getting up an extra 15 mins early toady

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    ~DFTBA~

Simon is offline Senior Member
    If I am out for that long I take a couple of plastic tubbed salads made up of a variety of ingredients. My favourite at the moment includes sliced boiled eggs, tomatoes, bacon and avocado. I also pack nuts or trail mix, jerky, fruit and maybe a boiled egg or two. You need to have the salads chilled but it's no prob. if you are in the car. Enough food for 12 hours or more.

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Many stores sell premade hardboiled eggs. I know Safeway here sells them in packs of 12 or 18. They are more expensive than buying a dozen eggs but they also save you that 15 minutes which when you are working 12s can be a blessing. They also sell them in packs of two. Jerky is good as an in the car snack or even the packs of tuna etc. They don't have much liquid so you shouldn't have to worry about them falling on your uniform and they do not need refrigeration. You can buy precooked bacon as well, which I have munched on many a shift. Again, it is more expensive but saves time.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Big salad with leftover protein. If you dice up and freeze the cooked meat ahead of time in proper portions you can toss it in with the salad in the morning and you wont need to chill it. The meat in small pieces will thaw by lunchtime and keep the salad crisp and cool.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

SarahByDesign is offline Junior Member
    I will def try the tubs of salad maybe I could prepare the greens on my days off so they are ready to add protein and grab on the way out the door. I don't know if the stores around here sell pre-boiled eggs but will look on next weeks trip to the store...THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INPUT!!!!!!
    ~DFTBA~