Thread: Please can you help a beginner page

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member

Please can you help a beginner

Primal Fuel
    Hi. I Have been exercising regularly for the last 3 years, rebuilding my strength and fitness after being ill thanks to the lovely gluten, for the previous few years. Been doing hiking (got lovely moors here), yoga (iyengar class once a week, some at home), swimming (but not been much since autumn, is usually once a week for 30 mins). I'm also fortunate to be able to walk my kids to school each day. I have done weight training in the past but find it a bit squeamish lol, I do have a good set of weights available.

So.... I am about 230lbs, 5ft 4, much healthier than I was but still get tired easily so need to be careful I don't push myself too hard. I am disappointed with the results I've been getting for the time I've been putting in. It's been a big challenge to fit it in along with caring for 4 kids, job etc etc and here I am, okay I am fitter than I was when I was ill, but I hoped for a lot more, and have lost my motivation. I miss the days before I got ill, I was 130lbs and used to run and weight train regularly. That was 7 or so years ago and feels like another lifetime after everything that's happened since!

I would really appreciate some advice on developing a good program for me to get on the road to greater fitness. I've read the PB fitness book but don't feel very confident in knowing how to approach it for myself.

ETA that I do have a slight uterine prolapse so am not keen on anything too high impact or that might cause that to worsen.
    Thanks very much for any help offered
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 02-12-2011 at 11:34 AM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Kit Rivers is offline Senior Member
    Ok a total newbie here (started primal end of Jan 2011) I am also greatly overweight, started at 16 and a half stone, and from an exercise base of zilch!

I have started walking twice a day with the dog on the beach! benefits of living in NZ....I was born at Shepley, Dad's from Howarth, I went to College at Ilkley (before it closed, showing my age here) so I know your moors!

Then I picked one of the exercises from the ebook, watched the 'how to' link given and started. The first was push-ups. I stand in front of a wall and push myself in and out....now lean as yet. I have started squats, can almost get to the first number with them, hanging onto a pole that holds up the veranda. I am working on plank now, I can hold the front shape for 10 seconds, but cannot get into the side shape yet...but I'm getting nearer! Obviously I keep up the the exercises i have already learnt.

So now i walk everyday, and get up at 6am so that I can, and on Mondays and Thursdays when i don't do the school run I do the exercises.

When i have all 5 exercises underway I am going to start the sprints, on the beach at 6am so no-one can see this mad fat woman dashing up and down but the dog!

Hope this helps!

js290 is offline Senior Member

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Between having kids young enough to walk to school and doing housework, I'm guessing you are getting pretty good exercise. It would be great to get some sprints in when you swim, if you don't already. Eight sets of fast as you can go for 30 seconds followed by recovery.

You don't mention food. You probably need to be fairly strict, at least at first.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks . I am quite active, walking to school, cleaning the house etc etc. I am glad I don't sit at a desk all day like my husband does. Swimming sprints is a great idea, I think I did that one time when I started out last year. Just need to make sure there's space as it's in quite narrow lanes graded by speed.

I just had a go at the bodyweight exercises. Nice to see my yoga has got me somewhere. I did 40 wall push ups so will try the knees ones next time. 40 wall squats, 12 of the elevated jack knife press (having trouble finding a suitable place to do those, need to experiment) and hand/knee plank 70 secs and 49 for the side (not sure if I was doing those right as it felt like my arm was working but not really my side). Pull ups I need somewhere to do them. Tried to dangle from the banisters LOL, not feasible to do it properly but worked those muscles a bit at least.

Food- I am on a personalised "whole30" at the moment (ghee permitted, no fruit). Don't know yet what I'll do after that (whether I make it through or not!).

Kit Rivers, I love the idea of you sprinting up and down the beach with your dog, it sounds wonderful. Hey and believe it or not, I like in Ilkley! I remember the college well, used to go to Music Centre there on Saturdays as a child .
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

I've been thinking about why the yoga has been disappointing lately and I realised it's just because I've got fitter and stronger over the year I've been going and there's no progression in the class as we hold the poses for the same time, so it's got easier for me and the results less noticeable. I think if I do the bodyweight exercises for strength and see the yoga as more about flexibility that'll help. I can always try to go further in a pose, even if there's no progression in how long we hold them for.

My daughter often comes swimming with me and in fact it occurred to me I already do sprints as we have races lol. Will get back into my Weds night routine with that.

What can I use for pull ups? I'm scared to put my weight on things since I am so heavy (I knelt on the worktop in the utility room to clean the window and it broke away from its fixing, and I borke the seat of one of the kitchen stools by standing on it to clean a cupboard, yikes).

Harold Whitman

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    I've been thinking about why the yoga has been disappointing lately and I realised it's just because I've got fitter and stronger over the year I've been going and there's no progression in the class as we hold the poses for the same time, so it's got easier for me and the results less noticeable. I think if I do the bodyweight exercises for strength and see the yoga as more about flexibility that'll help. I can always try to go further in a pose, even if there's no progression in how long we hold them for.

My daughter often comes swimming with me and in fact it occurred to me I already do sprints as we have races lol. Will get back into my Weds night routine with that.

What can I use for pull ups? I'm scared to put my weight on things since I am so heavy (I knelt on the worktop in the utility room to clean the window and it broke away from its fixing, and I borke the seat of one of the kitchen stools by standing on it to clean a cupboard, yikes).
    You're already doing something dead right, yoga is so good!. There is ALWAYS a degree to which you can do a pose that makes it right for you. Progression, aiming for perfect technique (in a non ego way). I find yoga builds my strength as well as stretching me out. (in fact I challenge anyone who thinks yoga is a bit "airy fairy" to go to an advanced class and tell me you don't have to be incredibly strong to follow it properly). My yoga teacher is in fantastic shape - and all she does is yoga and pilates. She has great muscle definition without bulk, strength, is amazingly flexible and has a dancers grace and poise.... and her technique is faultless I want me some of that!!!!

Only other suggestion - maybe invest in a session with a personal trainer, asking for a personalised routine you can do without gym membership, using your own bodyweight/things around the home and tell them what you want out of it?? I'm sure a good PT could accommodate you no problem, taking any medical/physical issues into account. Then follow that routine for a couple of months and once you're ready, have another session to "progress/work on specifics"??

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    As far as the yoga goes, if its an option, you may want to switch things up and try a more advanced class or another style of yoga like vinyasa or astanga. After years of Iyengar inspired yoga, I developed a huge passion for vinyasa and astanga. Just be sure you've got your alignment down when practicing any form of 'flow' yoga. (There is always room to grow in yoga--you just need to switch up your class and your practice to find whats just right for you *now*.)

I'm really REALLY loving http://simplefit.org for my bodyweight stuff. I love Mark's ideas in PBF, but I find the workout tedious/long/boring. (I do like switching things up a lot and could always get bored of simplefit--I've only been doing it for a few weeks...) Simplefit is based on 3 movements--pull ups, push ups and squats (you can sub for the movements as needed) and is 3 days a week. The workouts can be very quick (which I love) and each day is a bit different. There is a really helpful thread here in the PB fitness forum about it if you're interested: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Workout This is the first workout I've been able to persuade my husband to try (he's pretty sedentary) and he's actually sticking with it which is huge. I know its because its quick. I also shorten the first day's workout from 20 minutes to 10 minutes for him (right now--as he prob. wouldn't do 20 minutes) so there are ways you could modify it to make it just right for you.

Also, Al Kavadlo has a rockin' blog and really helpful ideas for how to get started on bodyweight stuff. Here is one link: http://www.alkavadlo.com/2010/05/mas...r-body-weight/ He's always got inspiring new ideas to share, which is especially fun if you like changing things up.

Sounds like you've got moving slowly down. Sprinting once in a while (however you choose to) will be helpful as well--I would focus on the lift-heavy-things part though. I was _amazed_ at how much doing LHT workouts which just my bodyweight changed everything--including my yoga practice (I was able to do soooo much more, fast.)

Good luck figuring out what will be best for you!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks. I had another look through PF tonight and have come up with a starter plan which is- 1 swim a week with sprints, 1 hike, 1 yoga class and 1 LHT session. Rest of the week is for rest and hopefully some active play with the family.

In the past I have tended to be over ambitious, try to do too much and then crash out (not just with exercise, I'd try to change my food, exercise, cut down computer, meditate and journal daily etc all the same week lol, what was I thinking?!!). The PF approach is really helping me steer away from that.

It's not much more than what I have been doing but I have been taking it *very* easy whilst feeling grotty due to SAD (as in winter blues) and less than ideal food choices. Now I am feeling perkier I can up the intensity a bit and hopefully will start seeing results again.

Harold Whitman