Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Just got here and need help page

  1. #1
    dmac24's Avatar
    dmac24 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9

    Just got here and need help

    For most of my life I've had a lousy diet so at 45 I've decided to recommit myself to better eating. I'm not fat or overweight but rather a former athlete who out exercised my bad habits. About 3 months ago I hooked up with a gym that is all plant based in the way they view nutrition and I've had some good results incorporating more veggies and fruits in but I can't give up animal meat nor do I really want to. On their side they advocate grains, here grains a re a no no. The insulin explanation that Mark gives really makes sense to me but then the idea that my morning bowl of coaches oats is bad for me is tough to wrap my brain around.

    I don't want to vacillate between systems any more. I'm wondering if any one else has experienced these contradictions and how they settled on Primal over another such as a plant only based diet that incorporates all the grains. I'm halfway through the book as I just got it two days ago and maybe all my questions will be answered there. It just seems that every group/system has a seemingly bullet-proof study behind them to back that their system is the best. I hope it's not a "do whatever works for you" because then all that means is that there really isn't a best way to eat, just a whatever works thing where results are left to chance. I hope this makes sense and I appreciate your thoughts.

  2. #2
    Vozz's Avatar
    Vozz is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    262
    i would say finish the book first, then comeback to the forum with unanswered questions
    We need to have a global discussion about the epidemic of donut murder

    Starting Weight: 238 lb
    Current Weight: 224 lb
    Goal: 190-200 lb
    Height: 6'-0"
    Age: 27

  3. #3
    Clymb's Avatar
    Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    827
    I was hardcore-vegetarian for a few years, so I totally understand where you're coming from with the plant-based nutrition. I found that while eating that way--and thus eating a fair amount of grains--I COULD keep weight off, but only if I hardly ever ate, and I was also tired and never really felt full...and with being primal, so far I've found that I can eat a shit ton of food and not gain at all, I can even lose this way very easily. And yes, when it comes to nutrition, you really just have to read read read read READ the research and determine what makes sense to you. See who sponsored the studies, how they were conducted, and then try it. So far I have had more success with primal than anything else. Not even just the food and weight, but I find the type of people attracted to this lifestyle to be very cool and laidback, whereas when I was really into the vegan/raw food thing, everyone was brainwashed and it was disgusting. Most vegetarians I know are cool, but some can be extreme. This lifestyle just fits in with my personality.

    Anyways, I think I went on a major ramble there, not sure if I even answered any of your questions, but I hope that helps. Lol

  4. #4
    Hedonist's Avatar
    Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    2,927
    Quote Originally Posted by dmac24 View Post
    The insulin explanation that Mark gives really makes sense to me but then the idea that my morning bowl of coaches oats is bad for me is tough to wrap my brain around.

    I don't want to vacillate between systems any more. I'm wondering if any one else has experienced these contradictions and how they settled on Primal over another such as a plant only based diet that incorporates all the grains. I'm halfway through the book as I just got it two days ago and maybe all my questions will be answered there. It just seems that every group/system has a seemingly bullet-proof study behind them to back that their system is the best. I hope it's not a "do whatever works for you" because then all that means is that there really isn't a best way to eat, just a whatever works thing where results are left to chance. I hope this makes sense and I appreciate your thoughts.
    Sorry, Primal as defined by Mark does lean toward what works for you. If you want a cut and dried approach, see this thread.

    IMHO, oats are not too bad if you can handle the carbs, which it sounds like you can, and you get old fashioned ones, soak them overnight, throw away the soaking water, and eat them with cream, butter or other good fat.
    Ancestral Health Info

    I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

    Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

  5. #5
    dmac24's Avatar
    dmac24 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    I was hardcore-vegetarian for a few years, so I totally understand where you're coming from with the plant-based nutrition. I found that while eating that way--and thus eating a fair amount of grains--I COULD keep weight off, but only if I hardly ever ate, and I was also tired and never really felt full...and with being primal, so far I've found that I can eat a shit ton of food and not gain at all, I can even lose this way very easily. And yes, when it comes to nutrition, you really just have to read read read read READ the research and determine what makes sense to you. See who sponsored the studies, how they were conducted, and then try it. So far I have had more success with primal than anything else. Not even just the food and weight, but I find the type of people attracted to this lifestyle to be very cool and laidback, whereas when I was really into the vegan/raw food thing, everyone was brainwashed and it was disgusting. Most vegetarians I know are cool, but some can be extreme. This lifestyle just fits in with my personality.

    Anyways, I think I went on a major ramble there, not sure if I even answered any of your questions, but I hope that helps. Lol
    It does help and I appreciate it. The vegetarian philosophy seems to be to eat often to keep metabolism going but Primal appears to be the exact opposite with people sometimes going 16 hours without eating or fasting and doing great. They appear (veg vs. primal) to be polar opposites although both sides will tell you there way is the best way. For me I like the idea of primal better because I like meat, love bacon and consider stopping at an In and Out on a summer day to be dang near paradise.

    I know that there have probably been many questions like this posed on the board and I know it makes people irritated to see and answer the same questions so I appreciate you taking the time.

  6. #6
    ciep's Avatar
    ciep is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Barneveld, NY
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by dmac24 View Post
    It just seems that every group/system has a seemingly bullet-proof study behind them to back that their system is the best. I hope it's not a "do whatever works for you" because then all that means is that there really isn't a best way to eat, just a whatever works thing where results are left to chance. I hope this makes sense and I appreciate your thoughts.
    If you do enough studies, you can prove anything (or at least make it look that way). Like Clymb said, you have to consider where the info is coming from, and whether it really makes sense. I've jumped around a lot myself nutritionally, always learning new things, always updating my diet accordingly. I've always had concerns regarding ethics and morality too -- which led me to vegetarianism for a few years (even all out vegan when I could make it happen). Regardless, even though I bounced around a bit, I was always doing what made the most sense to me based on all the info I could gather. Unfortunately, I ALWAYS had doubts about what I was doing because -- as you said -- there were always a million conflicting studies, and oftentimes they made sense too.

    Anyway, what I really like about primal living is that it's the first diet/lifestyle that really, truly makes perfect sense to me. It's very logical. It looks at human evolution, recognizes that we evolved to eat certain things... and recommends that we eat those things. I love it.

    Regardless, I feel better eating and living this way than I ever have in my life -- so that's a big something too.

  7. #7
    Clymb's Avatar
    Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    If you do enough studies, you can prove anything (or at least make it look that way). Like Clymb said, you have to consider where the info is coming from, and whether it really makes sense. I've jumped around a lot myself nutritionally, always learning new things, always updating my diet accordingly. I've always had concerns regarding ethics and morality too -- which led me to vegetarianism for a few years (even all out vegan when I could make it happen). Regardless, even though I bounced around a bit, I was always doing what made the most sense to me based on all the info I could gather. Unfortunately, I ALWAYS had doubts about what I was doing because -- as you said -- there were always a million conflicting studies, and oftentimes they made sense too.

    Anyway, what I really like about primal living is that it's the first diet/lifestyle that really, truly makes perfect sense to me. It's very logical. It looks at human evolution, recognizes that we evolved to eat certain things... and recommends that we eat those things. I love it.

    Regardless, I feel better eating and living this way than I ever have in my life -- so that's a big something too.
    Beautifully put bro, my thoughts exactly.

  8. #8
    DaisyEater's Avatar
    DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,784
    What turned my head was reading Taubes. I came here after reading Why We Get Fat. This is the layman's explanation of his more detailed Good Calories, Bad Calories. The research just made a lot more sense. When I put it in context with my own history, a lot of things fell into place.

  9. #9
    Clymb's Avatar
    Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    827
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    What turned my head was reading Taubes. I came here after reading Why We Get Fat. This is the layman's explanation of his more detailed Good Calories, Bad Calories. The research just made a lot more sense. When I put it in context with my own history, a lot of things fell into place.
    I agree, great books. Good Calories, Bad Calories is super-involved, hard to follow sometimes, but I made myself read all 400 or however many pages, lol.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •