Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter's Grocery List, please! page

Sanicorpus is offline Junior Member

Starter's Grocery List, please!

Shop Now
    Alright, imagine an empty fridge. Help me fill it with all the foods, supplements, oils, butters, greens, etc that a good PB'er should have at all times.

Thanks so much!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    The problem for me in answering this question relates.to the emphasis on improved food quality. So when I go shopping, I go and see what organic fruits and vegetables they have, is there any wild caught fish or grass fed beef. As such its tough to say as these higher quality items tend to be available on a more sporadic basis so I am coming home with different things each week.

As far as lists go, Robb Wolf has a good couple of free pdf's you can download and I am sure that Mark has some ideas on an old blog post somewhere.

Good luck.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    What I did, and im not really a newbie, but still...is i ordered the primal cookbook its should be in my box by monday . Im gonna go thru and choose a menu for teh week, write down the ingredients list then buy that stuff, plus some snacky type stuff like fruits, nuts and yogurt.
    Hope that helps.

Alan M is offline Senior Member
    You need seasonings. My basics are sea salt, chili powder, tumeric, cumin, all season salt and cayenne pepper.

You need butter. The best but pricy grass fed version is Kerrygold. It's not only top shelf but you'll find it there at Publix.

Find a source for decent onions, sweet potatoes, and grass fed beef. Up in Jax we have Native Sun. I also buy eggs there.

At Publix I usually buy frozen veggies. Their California blend has carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. I also buy frozen greens, and brussels sprouts.

Publix also has King Oscar Sardines packed in spring water. You can season them with mustard and maybe lay them over some Applegate bacon.

Breakfast: Sardines with berries or other fruit.

Dinner: Grass fed beef cooked with veggies in butter and seasoned to your liking. Make a huge pot and it will last for a few meals.

HTH

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    To Alan M's list, I would add: peppercorns to grind fresh, as coarse or fine as you like

EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and sesame oils ... I squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice on my salads and then add the oil

various vinegars: I like apple cider vinegar on my kale and balsamic on my brussel sprouts

Arugula and the fresh herb mix, instead of the usual mesclun mix, for salads

fresh spinach to throw into omelets or make salads

salmon, wild-caught

light tuna (more flavorful) canned in olive oil

canned clams (I make a clam sauce and then add vegetables, like artichoke hearts or broccoli, instead of eating it on pasta)

frozen: asparagus (fabulous in omelets with fresh herbs) or blanched and wrapped with prosciutto
    cauliflower, cooked in butter and curry powder

as a seasoning for many, many things (I have it on chicken in the crock pot right now), I use fresh lemon, fresh rosemary, fresh garlic, olive oil, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

seltzer because I get bored with water

Sanicorpus is offline Junior Member
    Good stuff so far. I forgot to get spinach on my trip today, such an obvious lapse of memory.

Funny how few aisles I actually have to walk down in the grocery store now. Keep it coming! Thanks for all the comments so far.

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    Avocadoes. They are lovely mixed in a salad. I had one today.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I actually don't think those lists are useful - look, you can eat almost everything in the produce and meat sections, add fat in the form of good butter, olive oil or nut oil, cocnut oil, lard or tallow. Dairy is your call but make it 1) full fat 2) less processed when possible and 3) without any additives ie buy plain unflavored yogurt and flavor it yourself.
    If that is still confusing, your problem is that, sorry, you don't know how to cook, not that primal is confusing. KISS principle: hunk of good meat with a side of nice veg. Nothing that inherently has a bar code. EDIT: nothing that tells you how tasty/healthy it is in words on the package. Use your crock pot, make pot roast. etc. Steak with spinach. Salmon and baked squash. Bunless burgers and a baked sweet potato. It's actually really easy.

And, forget the supplements for the moment. Just get some good cookbooks and go to town.

MIstressKiki is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Setabas View Post
    The problem for me in answering this question relates.to the emphasis on improved food quality. So when I go shopping, I go and see what organic fruits and vegetables they have, is there any wild caught fish or grass fed beef. As such its tough to say as these higher quality items tend to be available on a more sporadic basis so I am coming home with different things each week........
    I like the fact I can't get the same foods every week - to me it just adds to the whole "sorry honey I couldn't catch a rabbit but just LOOK at the ducks I got" thing. And at least I can pretend I am tracking my primal food even if it is simply around the chiller cabinet and fruit/veg aisles. Not a criticism of the post btw .......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast