Thread: just imagine a few days without numbers page

denise is offline Senior Member

just imagine a few days without numbers

Primal Fuel
    Imagine a world, or a life, where there were no "numbers" to get hung up on.

No height, weight, age, clothing size, BMI, BF%, cholesterol, BP, HR, blood glucose, calories in, calories out, macros, grams (protein, carb or fat), miles run, steps taken, pullup/pushup/any and all "reps" performed, targets met, hours spent, .... and any others you can think of??

I am getting so weary of being a slave to the numbers - but its so hard to stop.

Just me??

free3337 is offline Member
    i think you would like http://www.paleonu.com/

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    You need to learn to disconnect yourself from numbers - easier said than done, but it's important. I used to obsess about my weight, but I'm getting to the point where it's just another number that I don't care about. I tell myself that the number doesn't tell me anything about how I look or feel, because it really doesn't.
    BMI doesn't tell me jack shit, either. Same goes for clothing sizes - they vary sooo much between brands, so who cares what a little tag says? I could be anywhere from a 0 to a 7, an extra-small could be too loose, and a medium could be too tight. I don't count calories, or any other food numbers. I just eat what feels right, although tracking can be very helpful at first to learn what's right for you. I usually don't count reps, either, I just quit when I'm sick of whatever I'm doing.

And because I'm curious, why is height the first on the list? I've never really considered a height of either extreme to be a bad thing, it's just something about you that you can't change (short of ridiculous surgeries) - there's nothing unhealthy about being tall or short, is there? If it's something you absolutely cannot change, then just learn to like that quality about yourself. I'm short and never thought of it as a bad thing - most of the time I forget I'm short, I only remember when I'm trying to get something off a high shelf, or when I see a really tall person, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by free3337 View Post
    i think you would like http://www.paleonu.com/
    yes, I do!

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    #1 reason why I started primal was to disconnect from the numbers.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Quote Originally Posted by Enamel View Post
    You need to learn to disconnect yourself from numbers - easier said than done, but it's important. I used to obsess about my weight, but I'm getting to the point where it's just another number that I don't care about. I tell myself that the number doesn't tell me anything about how I look or feel, because it really doesn't.
    BMI doesn't tell me jack shit, either. Same goes for clothing sizes - they vary sooo much between brands, so who cares what a little tag says? I could be anywhere from a 0 to a 7, an extra-small could be too loose, and a medium could be too tight. I don't count calories, or any other food numbers. I just eat what feels right, although tracking can be very helpful at first to learn what's right for you. I usually don't count reps, either, I just quit when I'm sick of whatever I'm doing.

And because I'm curious, why is height the first on the list? I've never really considered a height of either extreme to be a bad thing, it's just something about you that you can't change (short of ridiculous surgeries) - there's nothing unhealthy about being tall or short, is there? If it's something you absolutely cannot change, then just learn to like that quality about yourself. I'm short and never thought of it as a bad thing - most of the time I forget I'm short, I only remember when I'm trying to get something off a high shelf, or when I see a really tall person, LOL.
    height first - because it often is on forms maybe? I dunno, not conscious. Can't change age either and that's always "up front" on a form too. Not worried about my "average" height - or "increasing" age

I don't actually buy into a lot of "numbers" any more. I haven't weighed for months, never know my BF% or BMI (which is tosh anyway), clothing is indeed so variable its a nonsense (Though I "feel better" wearing a UK 10 than a UK 16!) Don't do calories at ALL any more, one reason for PB and one I have remarked on in other posts, as some people ARE counting them - along with macronutrients. I also read about people's reps/PB's - I do count my own I confess - its like a mantra sometimes and keeps my focus? If I simply sprinted til I didn't want to any more - my HR (yes, I do look at that) wouldn't get high enough I suspect.

All in all, I am on my way with "the numbers" - but still aware of how much they dominate the world, including here

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    #1 reason why I started primal was to disconnect from the numbers.
    Me too. I was so sick of tracking calories and macros.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

GUN5LING3R is offline Senior Member
    great post!!