Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tell Mom "no thank you"? page

it1958 is offline Senior Member

How to tell Mom "no thank you"?

Bless my mom's heart, she baked the family a loaf of bread (to add to the 'ah' moment, she is legally blind w/macular degeneration).

I know it was done out of love but I'm afraid if I don't put a stop to it now, she will continue to make us bread (which I don't want my family to eat).

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to politely explain to her that we're trying to go grain-free and can't have her bread? Maybe that's all i have to say... But the truth is I do allow my DD to bake our bread but it is using soaked flour, the WAPF way.

Thanks

Karen

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't tell your mom not to do that. Allow her to enjoy her baking, tell her it's delicious, but give it to someone who does eat it. If my mom were still alive and she baked me a loaf of bread, that is what I would do.
    Georgette

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I don't have advice, only sympathy. My dad has been making BUCKETS of applesauce for my sister and I for years....ever since my mom died. I thank him for it, and genuinely appreciate the gesture, bu I honestly throw it all away. I feel bad doing it, but I don't eat it. It is a nice activity for him, makes him less lonely for my mom, and he feels like he is doing something nice for his kids. He is not in great health and has some dementia.

Anyway - hopefully you can find a better solution then we have.....

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Surely there is someone you know who would appreciate applesauce? I wouldnt throw it away!!!

And I would do the same, take the bread and regift it. Unless you think it is unsafe or too expensive for her to be making bread.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    The way I'd go after it:
    Take a taste/ slice. Y'know because she DID put all that effort and love into it. Next time I talk to Mom-
    "Mom, that bread was wonderful. I love that you went through so much effort to make us something homemade even though you didn't have to. We appreciate it, but we generally don't do well with grains. I can show you/ bake with you several breads that don't have grain, if you want. They're actually pretty tasty." And proceed to show/ make a day of the various PB friendly "breads".
    Then again, my family's.... odd.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I don't have advice, only sympathy. My dad has been making BUCKETS of applesauce for my sister and I for years....ever since my mom died. I thank him for it, and genuinely appreciate the gesture, bu I honestly throw it all away. I feel bad doing it, but I don't eat it. It is a nice activity for him, makes him less lonely for my mom, and he feels like he is doing something nice for his kids. He is not in great health and has some dementia.

Anyway - hopefully you can find a better solution then we have.....
    Jammies, give it to someone who would eat it instead of throwing it out. I'm sure you could find someone who would eat it. I hate seeing old people sad and food go to waste, no matter how you look at it.
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    The way I'd go after it:
    Take a taste/ slice. Y'know because she DID put all that effort and love into it. Next time I talk to Mom-
    "Mom, that bread was wonderful. I love that you went through so much effort to make us something homemade even though you didn't have to. We appreciate it, but we generally don't do well with grains. I can show you/ bake with you several breads that don't have grain, if you want. They're actually pretty tasty." And proceed to show/ make a day of the various PB friendly "breads".
    Then again, my family's.... odd.
    If I did that, my mom would have beaten my ass. Even though I will admit that I don't do well with grains, giving up homemade bread would kill me.
    Georgette

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Jammies, give it to someone who would eat it instead of throwing it out. I'm sure you could find someone who would eat it. I hate seeing old people sad and food go to waste, no matter how you look at it.
    I would give it away, but I am a little afraid to. He is not always very good about keeping things clean anymore and doesn't always refrigerate things that should be. He has never gotten sick from his food, but I am sooooo afraid someone will give it to their kids and then get sick. Maybe I am being overly paranoid about this?

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    I honestly don't know that I'd turn down anything homemade by Mom. I'd wonder who the hell had killed and replaced Mom, because they were doing a spectacularly bad job. My mother doesn't do ANYTHING completely from scratch. Ever. Even her chciken n' dumplins', homemade, has bouillion cubes abd tube o' biscuit dough.
    I've made that offer with my grandfather, though, (the family baker) and we're meeting up for a day of PB baking next time I'm down there.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I would give it away, but I am a little afraid to. He is not always very good about keeping things clean anymore and doesn't always refrigerate things that should be. He has never gotten sick from his food, but I am sooooo afraid someone will give it to their kids and then get sick. Maybe I am being overly paranoid about this?
    Oh,well that is a different story. Nobody needs ecolisauce
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast