Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help my butt with no equipment page

Enamel is offline Senior Member

Help my butt with no equipment

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What are the most effective (and hopefully simple) exercises for my glutes that don't require equipment? I don't have access to a gym, so the only weight I have comes in the form of a backpack and whatever I can fit into it.
    I know squats are supposed to be great, but I can't seem to get the technique right because I never really feel my glutes. Same goes for lunges. Any help in correcting this would be greatly appreciated, as the only exercise I can get the hang of is (inclined) push-ups, which are loads of fun, but only doing one exercise just doesn't sound like a good idea.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Are you hitting full depth on your squats (past parallel) and driving through the heels? That can make a difference on how effective they are. For lunges, make sure you're using the front leg to do the work of bringing you back up. I have a bad habit of recruiting the back foot to push up again, which makes the lunge less effective.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

ColoradoSteve is offline Senior Member
    Lunges. Look up doing them right and you will get results.

Keep your back straight (don't lean forward).
    Step out with one foot and touch your back knee lightly on the floor. (Keep your back straight, Tighten up the core to keep things neutral)
    Your front foot should stay pointing forward or slightly to the inside.
    The front shin should be perpendicular to the ground when your back knee is touching the ground.
    Pull yourself forward with your forward leg and push off from the back leg to stand up.
    Repeat with the other leg.

Done correctly, you can go a long way without adding any weight besides you bodyweight.

Bodyweight squats usually only work your quads. Try doing them 'box squat' style which means....

Put something to sit on behind you where when you are sitting on it, your quads are parallel or slightly below parallel.

Stand in front with a slightly wider then normal stance with toes pointing about 30 degrees out.
    Sit BACK to sit down on the box. When you are sitting, your shins should be perpendicular to the ground.
    To stand up - pull forward with your hanstrings/glutes to stand up. Don't move your feet from the original position. Pull forward with your legs and stand up. You will have to lean forward a little. Don't turn it into a lean forward so that you are using your quads to stand up. It should be a posterior muscle workout.

Check around for youtube videos.
    Last edited by ColoradoSteve; 02-11-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

elwyne is offline Senior Member

Mattman is offline Member
    Funnily enough your thread reminds me of that woman who died from illegal butt surgery.
    If only she had been prepared to just work a little instead of wasting her money, and subsequently dying.
    Anyway..........

Squats, Supine Bridges, Lunges, Birddogs. All I can think of right now.
    Here's my resolve.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    if you're short enough and have a high enough table/counter you could do some glute/ham raises
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

ToniWA is offline Senior Member
    Do a couple runs of a bearcrawl (get on all fours and get moving) - that burns my bum big time!

ToniWA is offline Senior Member
    OR for an alternative lunge that will burn many parts of your bum and legs ~ put your back leg on the couch or a sturdy chair and do some reps...yowza.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    All good advice. Bottom line to really burn? S L O W down! Try eight counts down and up. Eliminates momentum and engages more muscle fibers.

Also, check out the squat progression on the PB Fitness .pdf (free download on the fitness forum). If super-slow squats don't get you going, then bulgarian squats will!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniWA View Post
    OR for an alternative lunge that will burn many parts of your bum and legs ~ put your back leg on the couch or a sturdy chair and do some reps...yowza.
    Yup! This is called a Bulgarian squat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast