Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of SUGAR cravings page

ConnieB is offline Junior Member

Getting rid of SUGAR cravings

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What are some of ya'll tips for getting over sugar. I have heard advice about increasing fat helping, but I haven't found that to be true for me- or maybe I'm not eating enough of it. I must admit I am worried about gaining weight. I am not "fat phobic" by any means, but I am someone who has a big appetite, and worry about overdoing it.
    Also, right now I'm not excercising as much as I would like to due to lots of snow/ ice. I don't belong to a gym.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry about overdoing the fat. My story: I gave myself permission to eat fat for the first time 3 years ago. I also went off grain & sugar at the same time. I found myself craving butter like it was air. I was eating up to a stick a day, plain. But something in me made me inclined to trust this particular craving, even though I had a long history of overdoing (putting it mildly) with sugar & grain foods. And sure enough, after a month, the butter craving just disappeared. I couldn't even force myself to eat a pat by itself.

Ever since then, occasionally I notice a craving for butter and indulge it. A few tablespoons later, it's satiated, and the next day, I don't want any at all. As a result, I let my children have unlimited access to butter. When I notice them eating it plain, I look back at our food for the last few days, and it's nearly always easy to pinpoint how we strayed from eating enough fat with our meals.

As far as other helps, how's your protein intake, on a meal-by-meal basis?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

lizch is offline Senior Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...atty%27s+balls

Those were the miracle balls that helped me through initial cravings...tasted decadent, just 1 or 2 was enough to squash the sugar beast when it reared its head.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

denise is offline Senior Member
    For me getting EVERYTHING sweet out of my diet was paramount. SO, hard as this may sound, eliminate ALL sweet flavours, real or artificial. Even sweet potato (the clue is in the name). I then did actually find what I craved was fat - mainly dairy (butter by the slice believe it or not and cream in coffee - even by the spoon). But you just don't WANT too much fat - its not like carbs and sugar, well not for me.
    This is going to sound odd, but after a lifetime of sugar cravings I can honestly say they pretty much just .... stopped. Now don't misunderstand me - I can still get smacked big time by the sudden ambush of the lesser spotted sugar monster - but the craving is not there 99% of the time - whereas before it WAS there 99% of the time.
    I think in those first couple of weeks I did put weight on (I don't weigh any more as part of this journey), so once I was over the hump - I cut dairy to get that craving out of the way. I do plan to reintroduce it though - but not as a substitute "treat" for sugar. That weight seems to have gone again now - by how clothes fit.
    I still get hit hard by the odd craving as I say, last night a man on a tv programme eating a choc bar made me WANT one. But it passed quickly.

Hope this helps.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium. As much as you can take until your stool gets loose. Google "magnesium sugar cravings."

Once you can get over the initial hump (and it is a hump--maybe 4-6 weeks or so), *IF* you can stay away from the sugar, you shouldn't have cravings. If you keep having cheats or "free days", you'll never be rid of them.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 02-11-2011 at 12:14 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

ConnieB is offline Junior Member
    I went from being vegetarian/vegan for a long long time, to reintroducing meat, to getting rid of grains. I found that when I got rid of grains is when my sugar cravings started (i'm assuming since I stopped the carbs my body is craving the most basic crappy form). I very recently (like a week or so) ago got rid of dairy too, which had a lot of fat ( I only use raw full fat milk). Now I'm finding I'm eating a lot of fruit, and have a wicked obsession with dunkin donuts hot chocolate. I must stop!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    One really effective way to help the cravings die back, especially in someone who has had them for a long time, or has nutrient deficiencies likea veg*n diet can cause, is to increase protein until you're having the equivalent of a full serving of meat with each meal. (Meanwhile, go primal with everything but the sugar.) So maybe 3-4 eggs for breakfast, chickekn salad for lunch, pork chop for dinner (with the fat!), whatever floats your boat, but work it into your diet until you're consistently doing it without thinking every day, with plenty of fat, of course, and then see what's left of your sugar cravings.

For a lot of people, by the time that point arrives, you just don't carea bout sugar that much any more and just let it go without fanfare. That's a great time to try Mark's 30 Day Challenge or something like that.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Danigrok is offline Senior Member
    What kind of butter is best??
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Don't worry about overdoing the fat. My story: I gave myself permission to eat fat for the first time 3 years ago. I also went off grain & sugar at the same time. I found myself craving butter like it was air. I was eating up to a stick a day, plain. But something in me made me inclined to trust this particular craving, even though I had a long history of overdoing (putting it mildly) with sugar & grain foods. And sure enough, after a month, the butter craving just disappeared. I couldn't even force myself to eat a pat by itself.

Ever since then, occasionally I notice a craving for butter and indulge it. A few tablespoons later, it's satiated, and the next day, I don't want any at all. As a result, I let my children have unlimited access to butter. When I notice them eating it plain, I look back at our food for the last few days, and it's nearly always easy to pinpoint how we strayed from eating enough fat with our meals.

As far as other helps, how's your protein intake, on a meal-by-meal basis?

Lmans77 is offline Member
    fat really helps my cravings. If I'm feeling snacky, and haven't eaten enough fat, I'll drink a cup of coffee with a couple tbsp of cream, and/or eat a few slices of bacon. I don't have cravings per say, but when I haven't eaten enough, and start thinking about snacking, that helps me every time.

sarahmasteller is offline Senior Member
    I have been a long time "sugar addict" as I would put it. I started taking coconut oil about two weeks ago and I feel like it has REALLY helped my sweet cravings. Really took me by surprise too because I have tried plenty to tame that beast and so far coconut oil has proved to be the most helpful thing I have attempted It is recommended in one book I read to take up to 3 TB per day but I wouldn't start there, you can get nausea from starting off to strong. I have been doing about 1 teaspoon 3x per day

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast