Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: surviving sushi night page

duckmama is offline Senior Member

surviving sushi night

Shop Now
    DH & I have a rare date night tonight, and he is dying to go out for sushi. Honestly it's never really been my thing, but it's his turn to pick our dinner spot, and that's what he really wants. BTW, we've been pretty primal for about a month although transitioning from a LC WOE (more like Atkins) that we've been doing since last spring. The main difference since going primal has been eliminating grains and most dairy.

What do I eat at a sushi restaurant? The place we're going has teriyaki meats (which I know can be very sugary). DH will probably do a splurge and eat sushi with rice. I want to avoid it.

Ack!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    White rice is pretty benign (low phytates) and if you a OK with allowing your carb count to go up for one night, then just enjoy it! If you don't like sushi, then the chicken sounds great--again a little sugar won't kill you (unless it triggers more carb binging, of course!) I eat kaiso--seaweed salad-- along with some kind of seafood or sushi when we occasionally go out to our yummy noodle house.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    I tend to eat sashimi the couple of times a year I go to a sushi place. That is one way to avoid the rice. If you are not a raw fish person most places offer yakatori (spelling? chicken on a stick basically) which you should be able to order without sauce. Also many places will make you up something -stir fried veggies, or meat without sauce etc. They could probably also throw you together seafood dishes that are healthful.

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    Sashimi! It's just the fish without the rice. And very yummy!! Most Japanese restaurants also offer salads. I spurge on Miso soup every time I eat Sashimi. I know soy is bad, but man I love that stuff.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Sashimi and Salad for me. The only problem I have when eating sushi is that conventional soy sauce has wheat in it and I have terrible gluten sensitivity.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Unless you are maintaining ketosis, having some sushi rice for one night isn't gonna kill ya. Life is great!

Disclaimer: this does not mean do it once or twice a week, it's a splurge.

Primal April is offline Junior Member
    Hamachi Kama - Usually on the appetizer portion of the menu. A beautiful grilled piece of Yellow tail tuna...Lots of good fat on it as well. Might need 2!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    sashimi...all the way. i go out for japanese a lot, and i don't even look at the sushi or the rolls any more. sashimi is delicious...though the first time you try can be a bit odd.

nopie is offline Senior Member
    I do grilled eggplant, muscles, salad, tons and tons of sashimi (generally I go with salmon, white fatty tuna and red tuna), I always ask if they will make hand-rolls without rice for me. Some will, some wont. Last time I called ahead to make sure they would . SO you can get most rolls (like tuna avacado, etc just wrapped in nori, no rice). Beef wrapped mushrooms/green onions, steak, grilled scallops, grilled veggies... does the place you are going to have an online menu? Also to avoid the soy sauce, ask if you can have some sesame oil to dip in. I almost always cheat from some green tea ice cream at the end. One small scoop. LOL

Grok is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Sashimi is way better than those yucky rice rolls! The place I go to has some awesome wakame they serve with it.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-vis...ea-vegetables/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast