Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much Kale?

Too much Kale?

Shop Now
    Is it possible to eat too much Kale in a given day? I think I have an unhealthy addiction to Kale chips...

Once crispy they are probably pretty carb dense eh?

As long as you're not getting physically ill, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The cooking pretty thoroughly takes care of the oxalates. What (if any) fat did you use while cooking them?

The wife and I kill a head each when they come out of the dehydrator. I'm diabetic and only take 1 unit of insulin to cover them. Don't worry about it.
    Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

The only thing about lots of kale for me is that it can really speed up the plumbing, if you know what I mean! But I love kale chips too -- helps satisfy the salty-crunchy cravings I get now & then.

I used EVOO and sea salt. Well and I put half on a try I cooked bacon on earlier so bacon grease also.

I think Kale chips would be great with sesame seeds on top too. I think I may need to make another batch to test this theory.

I'm not really *concerned* persay, but I do want to stay in ketosis, will this kill those dreams? (off to pee on a ketostix to find out)

if you are making them yourself, i would not worry about it. also, if you are worried about the carb content in kale, you really need to take a step back and grab some perspective. and i am not saying this to be mean or snarky, but come on, it's kale.

eat up!

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

How long and what temp to you bake them at?

Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    if you are making them yourself, i would not worry about it. also, if you are worried about the carb content in kale, you really need to take a step back and grab some perspective. and i am not saying this to be mean or snarky, but come on, it's kale.

eat up!
    Nah, I get it. I am being a tongue in cheek with this thread. I'm sure I won't continue at this pace of eating kale long term. But killing a few heads of it a day seems a little excessive. :P

I bake at 250ish with the door open for 30+ minutes until they are light and crispy.

Yes, you can overdo it. Kale is goitrogenic. When I was eating from a giant CSA, it was overrun with kale and I ate it everyday, and, along with other contributers with my raw vegan diet, I quickly developed underactive thyroid. (Which was as quickly fixed by fixing the diet.)

Shop Now
    Goitrogenic veggies are OK for your thyroid as long as they are cooked.