Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bacon fat and calories page

tanyahk is offline Senior Member

Bacon fat and calories

Primal Fuel
    If one of my primary goals is to drop the pounds and I'm cooking with bacon fat..... How do I count that within a food tracker? I found one entry for it in dailyplate that said it was 250 calories for 2 tablespoons - that is a lot! If I'm trying to eat fat and stick to 1500 calories per day, it seems like I need to also cut down a bit on the fat also?

Thoughts?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Primal Journal

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    250 sounds about right for that much fat. it will be the same for anything else...butter, olive oil, etc.
    1500 calories a day is pretty low. is that enough energy for you to exercise and function?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I usually accounted for one tablespoon of oil calorie wise if I used it to cook with, whether it was bacon fat or some other oil.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    If you are still cutting calories and going low-carb, the idea is that fat is more satiating than carbohydrates, and also that eating fat rather than carbohydrates will help to stabilize your blood sugar and keep the cravings to a minimum. 1500 cal does seem to be a very small amount, but do whatever gives you results while still providing enough energy.

I know that fat is going to help me stay fuller longer, less snacks, etc... but at the end of the day the weight loss is still calories in - calories out and if I have that as a normal meal on a given day and then 2 other meals, I'm going way above the 1500!

The 1500 comes from dailyplate - I need about 2000 calories a day and so taking away the 500 gives me roughly 1500 to play with.

I'm 5'3", 155 lbs, sit a desk most of the day.
    My Primal Journal

lexsi340 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, weightloss IS calories in calories out, but there is no way to measure how many calories are actually going into your body (well.. I guess - how many they are actually using and how they are functioning). This isn't the best example primal-wise, but.. say you had the choice between bread and bread with olive oil - it would be a better choice to choose the olive oil because the oil slows calorie absorption and you are actually consuming (not the right word, sorry) less calories.. even though olive oil adds an extra 200 cals.

Have you read PB yet? If so, Gary Taubes if your next stop..

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Why would you be having two tablespoons of bacon fat as a meal? Did you mean you use it to cook your food in? Because one tablespoon would be plenty to cook with, and that would only be 125 calories. I guess I'm confused....1500-250= 1250....that's plenty of calories left over for two meals, no?
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Yes I am cooking with it sorry... so I basically make 2 slices of bacon first... then in the same pan with the bacon fat in it I put in 3 eggs, organic chicken sausage, spinach and mushrooms.... I estimated 2 tablespoons but I always overestimate So that whole meal comes to almost 800 calories!
    My Primal Journal

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanyahk View Post
    I know that fat is going to help me stay fuller longer, less snacks, etc... but at the end of the day the weight loss is still calories in - calories out and if I have that as a normal meal on a given day and then 2 other meals, I'm going way above the 1500!

The 1500 comes from dailyplate - I need about 2000 calories a day and so taking away the 500 gives me roughly 1500 to play with.

I'm 5'3", 155 lbs, sit a desk most of the day.
    keep in mind, you don't need to add fat. you can eat veggies raw or steam them and still be primal. the case for fat has a lot to do with satiety and taste (plus health benefits), but it's not absolutely necessary at all.

a lot of the comments about calories are right. reading through the Primal Blueprint and Gary Taubes is a good idea. calorie recommendations from websites like dailyplate or fitday are helpful at the outset i think, but remember the diet that those are based on. i think if you aim for 1500 calories primal and go over, you'll still see some pretty good results.

Primalrob - you are right, I should probably focus a bit more on watching my fat intake if I am really trying to shed the weight.... not saying eliminate it, but maybe 1 piece of bacon instead of 2, 2 eggs instead of 3, etc... that way I still am getting the good stuff in but not at such a high quantity level...

Is being low carb/low fat a bit more on point for people really focused on dropping weight as a goal then? (I'm afraid for my life on this one, please don't rip my head off people!)
    My Primal Journal

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast