Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Raise Chickens? page

Mandolin is offline Senior Member

Question Does Anyone Raise Chickens?

Primal Fuel
    My husband and I are thinking about getting a few chickens. We have the room for them, including a fenced-in yard. My question is, can they fly over the fence? I'd say it's about 4' high. I suppose we could build them a portable coop, and just move them around, but I was kind of hoping to let them loose in our garden for some organic pest control. Does anyone have experience with this?
    Results Pics:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d6138-245.html

Mandolin's Primammalian Cave Wall

Vegetarian=an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter"

iHerb.com $5 off first order code: AMA998

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i used to raise chickens. a 4-foot high fence should be pretty good. you might encounter the little chicken who could...and it might be able to get enough height to make it over. if so, just let it go. it earned it's freedom.

however, you might also want to consider some more fencing to keep other animals out. we used to have a horrible time with fishers, foxes, coyotes, etc. coming into our yard for a free meal. so, either make sure nothing can get at your chickens, or give them guns.

MIstressKiki is offline Senior Member
    My parents have chickens and a word to the wise - if they have something to launch off they can get over a 6 foot fence; get their wings clipped and this might help. I still have flashbacks to the whole lot of them launching over the fence and running down the railway line at the back of the fence. Can you put something like trellis on top of the fence? That would probably buy you a couple of feet in itself. Also they will pick at anything green (again going on childhood memories of a once glorious vege patch ...... netting and chicken wire are your friends if you have anything you really don't want them to sample). This is just my personal experience of chickens and I am sure other people's are much better behaved .....

"Earned it's freedom." LOL~Our neighbor lady confessed she's TERRIFIED of birds--of any kind. (Weird, I know). And we live in the city (chickens allowed, we checked), but we have a 1/2 acre lot. Don't think we need to worry much about predators~except maybe Deb...the neighbor lady
    Results Pics:

Quote Originally Posted by MIstressKiki View Post
    My parents have chickens and a word to the wise - if they have something to launch off they can get over a 6 foot fence; get their wings clipped and this might help. I still have flashbacks to the whole lot of them launching over the fence and running down the railway line at the back of the fence. Can you put something like trellis on top of the fence? That would probably buy you a couple of feet in itself. Also they will pick at anything green (again going on childhood memories of a once glorious vege patch ...... netting and chicken wire are your friends if you have anything you really don't want them to sample). This is just my personal experience of chickens and I am sure other people's are much better behaved .....
    Thanks for the heads-up! We had really mean roosters when I was a kid. My brothers used to catch them, draw a chalk line on the barn floor, and put their beaks on it. After a few seconds, the chickens would fall over, passed out. I guess staring at the line would hypnotize them? Odd, to say the least.
    Results Pics:

shrona is offline Member
    Keeping chickens is really rewarding and fun, but you definitely need somewhere you can close up to keep them in at night! (Even if you don't see them, owls and raccoons will seek out your chickens at night!) This will also go give them somewhere to huddle when it's cold or rainy and a place they will lay their eggs. (Preferably with a level raised from the ground.) Once they have a little coop and are comfortable in there, during the day you can let them roam around the yard. There are a lot of great reference books on raising backyard chickens, as well as a ton of info on the internet, even free coop plans.

ToniWA is offline Senior Member
    Sharonll is a member on here and is very helpful with questions you may have. I'm a big fan of hers

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    I'd caution you that a 4' fence isn't high enough to keep a determined chicken in the yard. It certainly depends on the breed of chicken you choose, but even the heavy breeds fly well up until the time they begin laying eggs. I had a 5' cedar fence around the backyard, and I ended up extending it to 7' by adding cedar 2x2s at 4' intervals and stringing chicken wire. Doesn't look as bad as it sounds. One method a smart chicken will use is to find anything she can launch from. Might be something as innocuous as an overturned bucket. She'll get up on the bucket, flap her wings until she thinks she's reached some stage of aerodynamic ability, and off she goes, up, up and away! Even an extra foot off the ground will give a determined chicken the extra height she needs. Out of my three chickens, one of them is a real explorer and has left the yard several times. Finally, she resorted to digging under the fence to get out.

Also, depending on where you live, please think hard about clipping their wings. In Seattle, we are overrun with raccoons. Without their ability to fly, our chickens would have been gone a long time ago. They can confuse a raccoon for quite some time as they frantically fly around the yard, flapping and shrieking. Long enough for the dogs to come running and chase the raccoon out of the yard, anyway.
    Last edited by Sharonll; 02-11-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Thank you everyone for the responses. The fence is still something to consider, I guess. Perhaps it's time to invest in that 8' vinyl I've had my eyes on.
    Results Pics:

Soil To Sustenance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use an electrical mesh fence sold by Premier (4' high I think). It comes in 160' lengths (so you could cover a 40'x40' area with one section). This lets me move my coops around to fresh grass, keeps the predators at bay (including dogs), and usually keeps the chickens inside. Sometimes one will fly over, but I catch her and clip her wings so she will not be able to get back out.

...Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast