Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF and body fat loss page

dboxing is offline Senior Member

IF and body fat loss

Shop Now
    10 ten days IF 16/8, I really like it. Works well for my schedule and I feel better. However (big however), no noticeable change in body fat/ waist size. Goal is to go from a 33-34 to a 30-32 and from 10-12% body fat to around 8%. I eat primal (actually low carb primal). Yes, Iíve looked at leangains. Yes, I understand about being patient, but as someone who has competed at/in elite level athletics, Iíve got a pretty good handle on whatís going on with my body and I can tell that nothing is happening on reducing the body fat. Any ideas?

Reborn Grokker is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried CLA supplements? I noticed a huge difference in my waist, gut when I started supplementing with CLA (I don't get a lot of grassfed meat).
    Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn Grokker View Post
    Have you tried CLA supplements? I noticed a huge difference in my waist, gut when I started supplementing with CLA (I don't get a lot of grassfed meat).
    Thanks. No, I haven't. Although, I do eat mostly grass-fed beef.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I probably seem like a broken record, but checkout theleansaloon.com. As a devout fan of IF, I would say that IF without reducing one's overall calorie intake will not cause weight loss. You will most likely see some of the other benefits, but it's also possible to use the 16/8 meal plan and gain fat. Also being a big fan of protein, such as I am, I would recommend keeping your protein high and cutting back on your fat intake as well as the carbs. Getting down into the single digits requires a calorie deficit and both carbs and fat are fuel for your energy needs but excesses can and will be stored. I'd also recommend Lyle McDonnald's (bodyrecomposition.com) work if you're serious about getting lean.

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    both leangains and bodyrecomposition talk about carb refeeds. It might be worth looking into. McDonald claims he's got it down to a science, and maybe he has... but the guy is so arrogant and rude i don't wanna buy any of his imo overpriced books. I guess that makes me arrogant too huh. haha

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    He is arrogant, I'll give you that and I have bought some of his overpriced books.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    +1 what Daemonized said. I didn't lose until I used IF to help restrict calories. As far as protein, I have adopted an approach that doesn't require any specific macro nutrient breakdown, much like Johnny from the Lean Saloon. Therefore, I don't pay attention to how much protein I get. So far, I have maintained good strength and muscle; although my main goal is to be lean and tone.

The main thing is to be patient. I went from about 160 pounds to 150 pounds over the last 3-4 months, which I think is a better approach to slowly lose.

krassi is offline Member
    Lyle Mcdonald may be clever but he is one of the most arrogant internet-people I've seen and I would never ever in a million years purchase anything from him.

On the other hand, I have tried the leangains approach in the past. I didn't do much else than just the 16/8 protocol and just kept on eating what I usually ate, no paleo or anything. I lost some bodyfat at the beginning but regained it soon after. So calories and food choices are most definitely still crucial factors when it comes to the success of IF for fat loss.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Over time I think it works and is easy. Over the past year I have done nothing else but IF and bodyweight workouts every other day for 30 minutes or less. I lost 4.5lbs in that time and 1.5 inches off my waist. I cut out alcohol for the past month and have seen a change in both my waist size and my total BF. It takes time, there are no shortcuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I probably seem like a broken record, but checkout theleansaloon.com. As a devout fan of IF, I would say that IF without reducing one's overall calorie intake will not cause weight loss. You will most likely see some of the other benefits, but it's also possible to use the 16/8 meal plan and gain fat. Also being a big fan of protein, such as I am, I would recommend keeping your protein high and cutting back on your fat intake as well as the carbs. Getting down into the single digits requires a calorie deficit and both carbs and fat are fuel for your energy needs but excesses can and will be stored. I'd also recommend Lyle McDonnald's (bodyrecomposition.com) work if you're serious about getting lean.
    I think I agree with you. The calories do count. Iím pretty good about keeping the carbs low, but I might be too heavy on the fat. I think I will up the protein, and cut some calories. What about 16/8, then, say twice a week, a 20/4?

I really appreciate everyoneís advice here, sincerely. But itís been my experience that what many people consider progress (like 10 pounds over 6 months), isnít (donít get me wrong, if itís working for you great, and more power to you!). In other words, I donít think that slow of loss reflects an optimal approach. No other animal loses weight this way; weight loss and gain are fairly rapid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast