Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal on a budget? page

pandasaurus is offline Junior Member

Primal on a budget?

Primal Fuel
    Is going primal possible on a budget? I've never been to a farmers market, but I'm wondering how much cheaper it is to buy produce there than to buy at a grocery store? I really want to go primal, and so does my boyfriend but we are on a budget. Is it possible and any tips for us?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    You have to get a bit thrifty and learn to be a little bit of a scavenger I think.

Farmers Markets can be cheaper than the grocery store for good organic food, but compared to conventional produce the grocery store is usually cheaper. Here's how I save money.

1) Buy in bulk- especially meat. Cowpooling, and/or investing in a chest freezer will be a huge benefit. It was one of the first things I did when going Primal. You can get tons of great cuts of meat for as little as $2.50/lb

2) Look for waste. People don't like certain cuts. I get heart, tongue, liver and other organ meats from my butcher VERY cheap.

3) Check your local Craig's List farm section. I've found local farms selling pastured eggs at $2/doz or less, chicken hearts and livers for $1.50/lb. Don't be afraid to expand into the "weird" either. I got chicken feet for $1/lb.

4) Look for a local Crop Mob organization in your area. You work at a farm for a day, and they give you a meal. Make friends with your local farmers and help out. At the end of the season they're apt to be giving away surplus produce. If you don't have a local crop mob, start one, or simply approach farmers and offer to help out in exchange for surplus during harvest, or a discount.

5) Local farm stands are awesome. Farmers markets can be pricey since vendors often have to pay to set up, but small local farms may have a roadside stand.

6) Look for "U pick" fields. You pick your own produce from the field and pay a discounted rate.

Just doing this stuff, I generally can live on less than $150 a month for food.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Check out this post. It's not Mark's best post on saving money on Primal, but it ends with a list of links to other budget-primal posts at the bottom and the *related posts* section also links to budget-primal posts Mark has put out.

This is also worth a look.

But ultimately it was this post that woke me up and made me stop making excuses about how I couldn't afford to live/eat primal. Money was the big thing holding me back. It's a trick. Don't let it hold you back if you can help it.

handgallop is offline Member
    The thing that's interesting around here is that it is cheaper to get eggs and meats from local small farms than from the grocery store (and WAAAAY cheaper than a place like Whole Foods).

The main issue is more of time and convenience than money.

Look into produce co-ops/CSAs, beef/pork sharing, etc.

It might be worth looking up if there is an FFA or 4H clubs in a drivable radius. My grandparents get ALL their pork products from a local 4H kid (and let me tell you, it is the BEST bacon I've EVER had in my WHOLE life). Again, cheaper than the store.

In addition to "cheap/off" cuts of meat, explore random or unusual vegetables.

Lastly, spend a day shopping around at all local stores. I do use the regular grocery store all the time, but I know where to go for the cheapest stuff (that is still of good quality). For instance, in the same town, one store sells bell peppers for $2.50-$3.00 EACH. Another grocery store 1/4 mile away (if that) sells them for $2.00/lb (though the other day they had ten for $10)

And consider getting to know hunters in your area. I know a couple that usually have extra venison and they're happy to sell it for reasonable prices (another guy I know gives me free venison balogna which I really like, though I guess now I have to check on what's in it. heh).

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I'm finding that I am spending less on food than before going primal... even buying better quality meats. I am not buying all the extra stuff I used to and plus I am eating less so I think it either evens out or you save money.

seaclam is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by handgallop View Post
    The thing that's interesting around here is that it is cheaper to get eggs and meats from local small farms than from the grocery store (and WAAAAY cheaper than a place like Whole Foods).

The main issue is more of time and convenience than money.

Look into produce co-ops/CSAs, beef/pork sharing, etc.

It might be worth looking up if there is an FFA or 4H clubs in a drivable radius. My grandparents get ALL their pork products from a local 4H kid (and let me tell you, it is the BEST bacon I've EVER had in my WHOLE life). Again, cheaper than the store.

In addition to "cheap/off" cuts of meat, explore random or unusual vegetables.

Lastly, spend a day shopping around at all local stores. I do use the regular grocery store all the time, but I know where to go for the cheapest stuff (that is still of good quality). For instance, in the same town, one store sells bell peppers for $2.50-$3.00 EACH. Another grocery store 1/4 mile away (if that) sells them for $2.00/lb (though the other day they had ten for $10)

And consider getting to know hunters in your area. I know a couple that usually have extra venison and they're happy to sell it for reasonable prices (another guy I know gives me free venison balogna which I really like, though I guess now I have to check on what's in it. heh).
    This is all great if you live in a semi-rural area but what about us big city dwellers? Yes, I got to the local farmers market but I am pretty much stuck buying meats from Whole Foods or Trader Joes. Even the non-primal cuts are expensive.

puddlefoot is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaclam View Post
    This is all great if you live in a semi-rural area but what about us big city dwellers? Yes, I got to the local farmers market but I am pretty much stuck buying meats from Whole Foods or Trader Joes. Even the non-primal cuts are expensive.
    I live in Seattle but I have found many farmers on Craigslist who sell grass-fed meat very cheaply. I just got a quarter beef for $2.45/lb (steaks and all) --around here even ground grass-fed beef is $5-6/lb retail and steaks are much, much more.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Chicken, Chicken, Chicken! It's always cheap. Keep that skin on though, and go for the dark meat, or even better, buy a whole chicken and roast it yourself.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by puddlefoot View Post
    I live in Seattle but I have found many farmers on Craigslist who sell grass-fed meat very cheaply. I just got a quarter beef for $2.45/lb (steaks and all) --around here even ground grass-fed beef is $5-6/lb retail and steaks are much, much more.
    That is the best way to do it. Buy 1/4 beef from a local farmer and you save so much money and time. I have friends who live in Southern California where you are at and that is how they do it. I live in San Francisco and there are tons of farmers within 45 minutes from me selling beef like this.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

pandasaurus is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I've already found a Farmer's Market and a CSA farm that I'm definitely interested in contacting. All of the help is greatly appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast