Thread: fermented so ok?? Brown rice miso and tamari soy sauce? page

denise is offline Senior Member

fermented so ok?? Brown rice miso and tamari soy sauce?

I have been clearing my cupboards of "grains" - finally accepting I have to throw away food (telling myself all the time "this is not food" helped). I do still have some huge packets of pasta (trying to find a home for them somewhere .... I keep a well stocked larder and we used to consume a ton of pasta), but they are no threat to me - I don't ever crave pasta.

I got to my tamari soy sauce and my brown rice miso and wondered if they are still ok?? I seem to recall fermented soy products are - and fermented bean products. Oh, anyway, someone out there will know for sure! I quite liked miso as a soupy drink that was tasty - but if its a no it goes in the trash - same for the tamari.

Ta peeps

I know that Fermented Soy products have all of the supposed "benefits" of Soy, without any of the anti-nutrients that you find in other non-fermented Soy products. Tofu and Miso are generally accepted as acceptable for Paleo/Primal.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Don't throw food away... give it to a food bank! I couldn't believe the amount of food I had in my house that was no longer acceptable and that I had to get rid of, but it felt good that someone could get a meal out of it... even if not primal.

Oh, and sorry, I don't know about the fermented soy/miso.

Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Don't throw food away... give it to a food bank! I couldn't believe the amount of food I had in my house that was no longer acceptable and that I had to get rid of, but it felt good that someone could get a meal out of it... even if not primal.

Oh, and sorry, I don't know about the fermented soy/miso.
    don't get me started about the food bank thing. I spent ages looking/phoning trying to find one locally - but no joy at all!!! Can't believe it - but nothing anywhere near where I live. Relatives who eat grains will benefit from the unopened pasta I think. Who knew it could be so hard to do the right thing?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UndergroundNutritionist View Post
    I know that Fermented Soy products have all of the supposed "benefits" of Soy, without any of the anti-nutrients that you find in other non-fermented Soy products. Tofu and Miso are generally accepted as acceptable for Paleo/Primal.
    Read Mark’s 10 Things to Know about Tofu and Scrutinizing Soy. Tempeh is OK, tofu is not.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Read Mark’s 10 Things to Know about Tofu and Scrutinizing Soy. Tempeh is OK, tofu is not.
    Taken from "10 Things to Know about Tofu":
    "6. Tofu
    By now, tofu – in all its slippery and firm incarnations – has made its way into the mainstream of the American diet. Sort of. The texture is something we may never fantasize about, but it is a nice occasional alternative protein source, especially for vegetarians and people who want to avoid too much meat (given the way meat is produced these days). I say occasional because, remember, it is a highly-processed food. Many types of tofu – especially “mock meats” – are really akin to processed deli meats and sausages. Of course, tofu comes from a bean and doesn’t contain antibiotics, added hormones and animal products, but it’s still – all together now – a processed food. In fact, I really don’t think tofu is much different from a slice of low-fat cheddar. Puts things in perspective, doesn’t it?"

It's not PB, but it's not awful either.

as my miso is a brown rice one - I still don't really know, so will give it a miss. the tamari - I think ill be ok on an odd occasion. Ta peeps.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Denise, I have been using miso to flavor my bone broths for a month now and I don't see or feel any detrimental side effects. However, I am careful to use organic miso.