Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Schools ... page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Possible Schools ...

I'm starting my college search soon (I'm a junior) and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for some good pre-med schools. I'm currently just looking at the University of Washington (my homestate) but I would consider any suggestions! thanks!
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    here is my advice: AVOID STUDENT LOANS AT ALL COSTS.

my recommendation: go to the cheapest school possible -- part time if you have to -- and pay cash for ever semester. one option is to go to a *really inexpensive* community college -- do your general education credits -- and then go to a regular university (still, choose an affordable one). and then, go to an affordable med school -- again "part time" if you can (you have 6 years to finish a 4 year degree. feel free to take all 6!). Try to pay for as much as you can cash by having a job.

a friend of mine did this with law studies.

he started out working at his friend's engineering firm. he was a sort of all-around guy, was trained on the job -- a combination of admin and drafting (computerized). he worked his way through community college (first two years), and then went 3 more years at a regular university earning a degree in engineering. he worked with this firm the whole time. he was able to afford an apartment (with roommate), and his own car (cash, a beater), and to pay for school each semester (cash payment for tuition, books, everything). then, he worked as an engineer for a couple of years -- making considerably more income -- and with it bought a house (outright, and fixed it up), and a nicer car (outright, debt free), because otherwise he lived simply, and then he decided to go to law school.

he worked full time at the firm, and then was able to study law. i think he took 4 years instead of the normal 3. he graduated and works for a law firm that deals with engineering issues. makes a ton more money, but still lives in the little house and drives the old car, but has no debt and is doing well. financial security these days is very important.

in regards to schools and majors -- as long as it is accredited, you'll be fine. likewise, a non "pre" major (that is, anything BUT a "pre" major) is a good bet. medical schools, like law schools, are looking for "diversity." they hae 10,000 applications for pre-med majors with the same high MCATS, fancy and not-fancy schools, and whatevs. you know the application that sticks out? the art major who also took science courses and wrote a gorgeous essay and drew an illustration of the kreb cycle. for serious -- that's my former gynocologist! my family doctor? english major. my current family doctor? philosophy. my friend the emergency physician -- drama and stage management (irony! LOL). of my lawyer friends -- not one was pre-law. instead, we have english (me and about 12 others), education, environmental science, engineering, sign language, women's studies, international relations, philosophy, psychology, and linguistics.

honestly, you can get a very good, affordable degree in just about anything -- and then get into a decent (and affordable) medical school.

but whatever you do, do try to avoid student loans. I speak from experience. *a lot of experience* LOL
    Last edited by zoebird; 02-10-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Stanford but then I'm biased because it's my alma mater. They also have a hell of a good pre-med program. (My roommate was pre-med.)

Got to disagree with Zoe on this one. Sometimes you get what you pay for. IMO education is one of those times. There are all kinds of financial aid options to ease the burden, but, your first priority should be quality, then think about price.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 02-10-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Vozz is offline Senior Member
    Cuba educates medical doctors for free last time I checked. I hear their medical eduction system is first class too. The only catch is you go work in a poor country for a while I think.. not sure though, look into it. They accept US citizens as well.

Why do they do this? To improve their global reputation.
    We need to have a global discussion about the epidemic of donut murder

Starting Weight: 238 lb
    Current Weight: 224 lb
    Goal: 190-200 lb
    Height: 6'-0"

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    oh, and FWIW, what sent me to law school was snotty, annoying pre-law majors. i was an english major at the time, no clue what to do after graduation (long story). took a class for my last few credits -- expository writing. i was the only english major; there were two education majors; and everyone else in the class -- all 24 -- were pre-law majors.

i decided about 1/2 of the way through the class that if this dumbos could go to law school, so could i. i decided to take my LSAT and apply. I applied to three schools: two second tier and one third tier (there are 5 tiers). i chose them because they were close to where i would be living due to my DH's job. I had an english degree, a 2.75 GPA (i seriously do not care about grades), and a nice high score on that LSAT, plus a rockin' essay and recommendations from my teachers.

i got onto the wait list of one second-tier school; i was offered a provisional place at the second one. i was offered a scholarship at the third tier school -- so long as i maintained my GPA. It wasn't a massive scholarship, but a bit off a cheaper school each year is a good one.

of all of the people in the expository writing class who applied to law school. . . .all 24 pre-law majors and me, most of those pre-law majors preening on about their GPA and snobbing it out at me going "well, I"M going to LAW SCHOOL" with that snide "you will be a loser" undertone . . . .

well, not one of them got into any law school, not even their safety schools, and some of them applied to the same schools that i did. no wait lists, no provisionals, and no acceptances with scholarships at 'safety' third tier schools.

moral of the story -- be you. be interesting. be unique. do well in school -- you don't have to copy my GPA! LOL -- but have fun. Your essay and MCATS and recs can make up for deficiencies. I even talked about my grades head-on in one of the questions (it was an option on our application). I just flat out said that if a class is boring, i don't work, but i had to take the classes for credits. This is evidenced by the fact that these other classes -- where i got As and Bs -- were *very challenging classes* as compared to the english classes that i often did mediocre in! i honestly got tired of reading the Tempest for the zillionth time. so, i wouldn't show, and it affected my grade.

end of the day, just take care of yourself financially, get a degree in something fun and interesting, and then succeed at medical school.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    The less you spend on undergrad the better. Your undergrad degree will not be the limiting factor in getting into a good grad school.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Here is my two cents....

I wouldn't focus on just finding a good pre-med school. I would focus on finding a school that suist YOU. Things change during college and the best physicians are the ones who are a little more well rounded anyway. You will need to get solid science classes, do volunteer work, and if possible do some research in a lab. So I wouldn't pick anything too small/liberal arts. But you also want to take interesting classes that fulfill you! Great literature, philosophy, history....whatever it may be.

University of Washington is a very good school - you should be able to find great research to do there.

Good luck!

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Sometimes you get what you pay for. IMO education is one of those times.
    As a graduate of an Ivy beginning with the letter "H" I could not disagree more. You're paying for reputation, if you happen to pull a good education out of it it is merely coincidental. The hardest thing about these schools is getting into them. Not to say Stanford isn't a good school, it's just not worth the premium.

A focussed, motivated student will do well in any setting and graduating without a backbreaking loan burden would make it easier to buck conventional wisdom in practice when one is done with schooling.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

seaclam is offline Senior Member
    Use all of your resources. Go to college night at your high school. Ask your guidance conselor for help. The College Board website is a great place for you to research schools. Focus on SAT and ACT scores. The better the scores the better the school you can get in to. Lastly, take it one step at a time. Focus on your undergrad degree. Things change, so don't lock yourself into a great "pre-med" school so soon. JMHO.

Lmans77 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    As a graduate of an Ivy beginning with the letter "H" I could not disagree more. You're paying for reputation, if you happen to pull a good education out of it it is merely coincidental. The hardest thing about these schools is getting into them. Not to say Stanford isn't a good school, it's just not worth the premium.

A focussed, motivated student will do well in any setting and graduating without a backbreaking loan burden would make it easier to buck conventional wisdom in practice when one is done with schooling.
    I completely agree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast