Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haiti for 1 week and off PB page

tanyahk is offline Senior Member

Haiti for 1 week and off PB

Primal Fuel
    So I'm off to Haiti for a week ~ very very excited! I'll be helping to build a house for 2 families and I think the whole experience is going to be great!

The organization I am going with (www.pidonline.org) provides 3 meals a day.... and obviously we can't pick them.

A sample menu was on their site and some examples are:

Breakfast: coffee, cereal, milk and fresh fruit. Also a hot breakfast (i.e. pancakes or eggs)
    Lunch: Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
    Dinner: A mix of American and host country meals (i.e. spaghetti with meatballs, chicken with rice and beans)

So it looks like I won't have many choices but to be off of PB for the week. There aren't many things I can bring with me other than nuts that will stay fresh for the trip.

So I guess my question is, only being on PB a short time, will this mess up the progress I've made on PB? Is this really terrible or just a small blip and things should be fine when I get back?

Anyone been through this and have any ideas or suggestions on food I may be able to bring with me?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Primal Journal

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry to much. You'll be using up a lot of fuel while helping build the homes.

I would just make the best choices you can with what you're offered. Perhaps you could bring a quality no sugar added whey protein isolate powder with you. They can be mixed with their bottled water.

O_O
    And good for you on helping in Haiti!

Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    Perhaps you could bring a quality no sugar added whey protein isolate powder with you. They can be mixed with their bottled water.
    FANTASTIC idea! I have some that I have started using yet.... I think that will work well! Ya I figured we would be doing 8 hours of manual labor so that would burn off (fingers crossed) whatever I eat and more!
    My Primal Journal

O_O
    Don't worry you'll burn up those carbs!

O_O
    As a precaution I'd bring some psyllium seed husks. This will help slow digestion and reduce the impact of foods like white bread.

If you take it I'd use a Tbsp a day with a cup of water along with additional water. Without adequate water it can be binding in some.

O_O

[QUOTE=O_O;335766]As a precaution I'd bring some psyllium seed husks. [QUOTE]

Interesting I've never heard of these before! I just looked it up on Wiki.... where do you buy them? It seems they are in other laxative type products but I'm not sure where you would buy them on their own?
    My Primal Journal

lizch is offline Senior Member
    One word of caution on psyllium....you might want to give it a try before you leave, since it can have paradoxical effects, causing diarrhea in some and constipation in others.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

O_O
    I've used it daily for years without any issue. I buy pure psyllium seed husks at the grocery store. It is in the natural food section. If you decide to try it and they don't have it you can get it at a health food store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast