Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just venting frustration page

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member

Thumbs down Just venting frustration

Primal Fuel
    It's been almost 3 weeks since I've done any type of exercise since I pulled muscles in my lower back. On my Day 2 lift, I was going for a new PR on deadlifts and hit my numbers. I hadn't pulled anything then, but the muscles...they were sore. When I went to do my Day 3 workout (mainly the bear) two days later, I must have been still sore and broke form when I cleaned the weight on rep 1. Rep 2 put me down. The timing of it was bad since 2 days after my Day 3 I had on the books to do a 30 day 100% primal eating. I'm 2 weeks into the 100% and feeling great. I've been seeing a chiro for my back and I'm just about there to get back to the gym. Just voicing some frustration....that is all. carry on.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    I feel you, man. I've got a pinched nerve in my neck totally messing up my workouts. Hang in there, it'll get better.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Careful there Nick - you shouldn't be pulling a back muscle doing dead lifts with proper form. Is your back arching? Either you get the weight 2 inches off the ground (and complete it) or it doesn't leave the ground. That place in the middle generally means you are compensating form by recruiting other systems in attempting the lift. I'd recommend you take a second look at your DL form before re-attempting a max
    ad astra per aspera

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    agreed to an extent tfc. I don't think I pulled my back on the deadlift. I did my 5x5 at a new pr for me (I never really do 1 rep max). I think my lb was a bit sore from it, but nothing pulled. I do think given some overall soreness that when I went to clean the weight for my bear routine, I broke form and pulled something there. For that....I should have the disappointed finger wave done to me. It's gotten much better than where it was, so I'm not concerned about any joint problems, it's just been a bit of a slow recovery (well from the perspective of not working out). Plus it doesn't help that my two little dudes like to tackle me the minute I walk in the door. Besides chiro care, I've just been hitting it with a hot rice pack (see grains are good for something) and doing some light stretches at night. Sitting at a damn desk and then an hour commute doesn't help.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Oh dude, that sucks. Good luck getting back on track.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Injuries are par for the course when you are talking PR's - especially in with dead's.
    Take some pain relief, do some light high rep stuff to get some healing blood into the area and maby some liniment and hot and cold compresses and push through.
    Chiropractors are which doctors and the natural enemy of the strength athlete, so avoid them.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Try rubbing arnica on it (you can get it at Vitamin Shoppe or the like) I swear it really reduces soreness from injury or just regular hard workouts. Also, I'd ice it, not put heat on it. Heat feels good, but ice is what is going to get the inflammation down.

Hope you feel better soon! Injuries suck!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    I need to patent the disappointed finger wave.

Hope you feel better Nick. Might be a great opportunity/excuse to justify a massage. I had one last week after a chiropractor visit (first one in years) and the two in tandem literally transformed me. My muscles loosened way up and with it tension in my back. Plus all that it is super relaxing. Anyway see if you can squeeze one in while you are out of action.
    ad astra per aspera

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lolov View Post
    Try rubbing arnica on it (you can get it at Vitamin Shoppe or the like) I swear it really reduces soreness from injury or just regular hard workouts. Also, I'd ice it, not put heat on it. Heat feels good, but ice is what is going to get the inflammation down.

Hope you feel better soon! Injuries suck!
    You can also get Arnica as a tea and as little pills to dissolve in your mouth. My surgeon recommended it for reducing inflammation. So this is not just some fringy thing that only herbalists think works. Real live doctors know it does too. I hope you feel better.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You can also get Arnica as a tea and as little pills to dissolve in your mouth. My surgeon recommended it for reducing inflammation. So this is not just some fringy thing that only herbalists think works. Real live doctors know it does too. I hope you feel better.
    Have you had good results with the oral arnica? I haven't, but I'd assume it's a person to person variable thing (or maybe the formulation?) I have incredible results wtih the topical stuff. If I forget to put it on after a crossfit workout I kick myself, but then put it on and within an hour or so POOF, soreness is either gone or radically diminished. I love it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast