Thread: Roasted or Raw? Salted or Not? page

DogHermit is offline Junior Member

Roasted or Raw? Salted or Not?

I like nuts but I've never been a particularly big consumer of them; now that I'm starting down the primal path, though, I need to replace the "Nature Valley Granola Bars" that I use as work snacks with something, well... a little more Primal!

Nuts seem like the obvious choice, but I'm wondering - obviously, Grok would have been eating nothing but raw nuts, but I'm way more drawn to salted, roasted ones.

Would I be losing anything significant in going roasted & salted over raw?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I do roasted nut butters mostly, but I do like raw too. It is my understanding there is not a whole lot of difference nutritionally.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Some wise food tradition people talk about soaking and then drying/ dehydrating. But if you can find roasted nuts without added yuck-oil, why not?

There's also jerky as another option, and cooked meat. And you may find you lose interest in snacks anyway, after a while.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    I would recommend dropping the snack all-together. You'll find that the more "primal" you eat, the less you need to eat things in-between your meals.

If you feel you *must* have a snack, opt for something like beef jerky. Nuts (aside from macadamia) don't do you any favors as far as n-3:n:6 goes.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    There's also jerky as another option, and cooked meat. And you may find you lose interest in snacks anyway, after a while.
    This.

DogHermit is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'd be all for dropping the snack, but I don't want to sabotage myself by eating too little over the course of the day. In my pre-Primal regimen I didn't eat breakfast, would get into the office around 7:30 AM and have my one cup of coffee of the day, and then some time between 8 and 11, I would have two granola bars. Lunch at 1, usually, then dinner at 7-ish. Sounds like I should maybe trade my mid-morning snack in on breakfast?