Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best Bodyweight Exercise You're (probably) Not Doing page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

The Best Bodyweight Exercise You're (probably) Not Doing

Primal Fuel
    Hey Guys - I just posted a new blog about an often overlooked bodyweight exercise: the back bridge. Feel free to leave any comments or questions for me on my blog.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Perusing through a friends Bikram Yoga book a few weeks back the 2nd movement is to lean over backwards which I found to be somewhat difficult to say the least. I've never practiced bending over backwards, and I have been looking for ways to improve my ability to do this. I think these exercises will be a great way for me to work me up to that level.

Thanks.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Back bridges just feel so great. I love that nice full stretch you get through the rib cage and abs!

Last summer I randomly decided to work on "kickovers" from the back bridge. Not sure what made me think to try them, but it just seemed like a cool skill to learn. They were a LOT more challenging than I expected! It took me a good 2-3 weeks of solid work to get them. Anyway, it was a lot a fun and an amazing ab workout at the same time -- just a suggestion for anyone who has back bridges down and wants to take things a step further!

Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    Perusing through a friends Bikram Yoga book a few weeks back the 2nd movement is to lean over backwards which I found to be somewhat difficult to say the least. I've never practiced bending over backwards, and I have been looking for ways to improve my ability to do this. I think these exercises will be a great way for me to work me up to that level.

Thanks.
    Yeah bridges are harder than they look!

Glad you found this post helpful. Keep training hard!

Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    Back bridges just feel so great. I love that nice full stretch you get through the rib cage and abs!

Last summer I randomly decided to work on "kickovers" from the back bridge. Not sure what made me think to try them, but it just seemed like a cool skill to learn. They were a LOT more challenging than I expected! It took me a good 2-3 weeks of solid work to get them. Anyway, it was a lot a fun and an amazing ab workout at the same time -- just a suggestion for anyone who has back bridges down and wants to take things a step further!
    Nice - kick-overs and walk-overs are really hard! I can't do one yet, but maybe one day!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for posting this, I think I'll try it out today.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    I remember doing bridges all the time in gym class in elementary school in the early 80's. I loved doing them. Between that and the crab walk was wicked fun. I'm gong to start working on those this weekend. Thanks Al!
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by Enamel View Post
    Thanks for posting this, I think I'll try it out today.
    Right on!

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I remember doing bridges all the time in gym class in elementary school in the early 80's. I loved doing them. Between that and the crab walk was wicked fun. I'm gong to start working on those this weekend. Thanks Al!
    You got it! And of course the best part for you is...you can do these from home!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget bridge "walks"; moving while in the bridge position! (I can go a couple of feet before my arms give out on me!)

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    I do bridges all the time. We spend so much of our lives sitting, bending forward and not enough time correcting that imbalance.

As Al stated, if you havent done them before go gently....full bridge can HURT a tight spine and the location of the adrenal glands means they can be activated during this pose if there is stress there.

Can I suggest if you are having a hard time with full bridge another good couple of transitional exercises....I do these as a warm up to full bridge each time

Warm up with cobra pose, then start the stretch with Camel or bow pose

If you are really tight in the back...and many people all, doing a bridge over a stability ball as a warmup stretch is a gentle way to move the back.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    your idea of fun is distinctly different from my idea of fun. crab walks were the devil
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast