Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Tips to recover from Mastitis??? page

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member

Primal Tips to recover from Mastitis???

Shop Now
    This one's for the ladies - bfing mum's specifically. I think I've got a case of mastitis - started yesterday w/a clog that became very painful... pumped all day at work, then nursed, nursed, nursed all night - starting ds on the side w/the clog. I've been eating raw garlic as a preventative... does any one else have any other remedies?

I've been doing hot/moist compresses every couple of hrs. If I don't throw this clog in the next 6hrs I'll be going in to my mw for a rx of antibiotics and diflucan (I'm a thrush carrier and as soon as antibiotics touch my tongue I get full blown thrush) I'd really like to avoid the antibiotics but I'm starting to get the flu like aches/pains, head ache and starting to see streaks... no temp yet...

took some xtra vitamin A, C, getting ready to take my D, my fish oils, MultiVitamin...and contemplating pulling out the Letchin. Also going to try to get in to see the chiropractor for an adjustment... getting a massage tomorrow

Any tips would be appreciated - It seems I always get mastitis around the 10mth mark when solids really start to make an appearance. : ( BTW weaning isn't an option I plan on nursing until ds self weans...

thanks!

FireWoman is offline Junior Member
    I'm so sorry. Suffering through mastistis was one of the most traumatic events in my life. The biggest mistake I made was trying to tough it out by trying home remedies and starting the antibiotic too late. So I ended up taking a total of 3 antibiotics and a shot in the behind to make it all go away. I would get the meds asap. I'm not a medicine pusher either. I haven't taken an antibiotic in over 5 years and my bout with mastitis was almost 11 years ago.

Hope you feel better soon.

Oh and my two boys self weaned at 16 months and just over 2 years old....so I would never suggest that you wean. The best thing you can do is nurse that baby. That's what my doc said.
    Last edited by FireWoman; 02-10-2011 at 05:49 AM. Reason: added more
    Kris

Thanks Kris... appreciate the feedback.. I spoke w/my on call MW last night - and she wanted me to wait until they open today before she's prescribe an antibiotic... She wanted to see if raw garlic and non-stop nursing/pumping would stave off a full blow infection... so far no dice... but I still have some time... to see if I can throw the clog/infection...

FireWoman is offline Junior Member
    I was a first time mom with a 6 week old baby in when I had it. I didn't have a clue. Ended up with an abscess....it was a horrible experience.

Sounds like you've been there before though. Hopefully the garlic will work.
    Kris

Mollymoe is offline Senior Member
    This may sound bizzarre but have you tried using cabbage leaves instead of the compress? When they start to wilt swap them for new ones. I don't know why or how it works, but I know from experience that it can.

When I use cabbage leaves my supply decreases - so for me its a no since I have supply problems and take domperidone...If I didn't have that reaction I would go for the cabbage leaves... I'm one of those odd moms that can't even have mint or sage in my cooked meals or my supply will tank! Now I can eat cabbage w/o problems - just can't put the leaves on my bbs

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    prophylactic lecithin is known to be of benefit so I'd break it out right away. Primal sources of lecithin (ie phospholipids) are shellfish and to a greater extent, bone marrow.

Consider testing your serum D. Everyone is a 'thrush' carrier but one's own immune defenses should be able to keep it in check. If that's not working, it's usually b/c the immune system doesn't have enough 'x' to function optimally, most often D and zinc but also possibly A and K. Too much A, though, is also a problem.

Katherine in atl

i have no suggestions...i've never even had to take antibiotics for mastitis. it usually goes as quickly as it comes. (although I know its mastitis and not a plugged duct because i get feverish and achy all over). have you ever gotten it before? maybe you'll be like me? From very beginning of symptoms to end of symptoms it usually would only last 24-36 hours.

good luck momma.

remember that if you have to go on the antibiotics to supplement with a good probiotic.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    the last time i had mastitis (super achy, could not get out of bed, clogged duct, fever, etc.) I stayed in bed and slept, nursed the baby constantly, drank as much water as i could (also drink bone broths if you can) and supplemented with magnesium and vitamin D. I'm not sure what was able to boost my immune function adequately enough to fight off mastitis on my own. I went from being literally unable to walk to the bathroom one day, to driving myself to the doctor's office the next day (to get the antibiotics, which i ended up not taking). I think the most important thing is to rest. I'd also take the antibiotics (I'm also prone to thrush) if you don't get better very very soon. Sorry, i know it's not what you're looking for.

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks ladies...finally back from the doctor ...got to love HMOs! I've now got drugs on board and took a long hot shower and tried the comb trick w/manual expression - got some relief... I'm definately going to go pick up ds and try to get him to laydown and nurse (We'll see if he's up for that being 10mths and all!)

Hoping the drugs kick in soon.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast