Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cured vs. uncured bacon page

marielle is offline Member

Cured vs. uncured bacon

Shop Now
    I was wondering if it was a huge deal whether bacon was cured or uncured. I usually get uncured, but if I can't find it, I just have the regular stuff. By accident, I picked up a maple flavored kind last night, and I was really looking forward to having bacon for breakfast. What say you? Is it a big deal or not? It still has zero carbs...

RobbieC is offline Member
    Not real sure...though I always buy uncured, nitrate-free bacon.
    Striving to live a life extraordinary.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    It depends on how you cook your bacon, and how well done you like it. Microwaving bacon produces less nitrosamines than frying it, so if I ever was forced to buy cured bacon, I'd microwave it. Also, the more you cook the bacon, the more nitrosamines... so if you like your bacon so crispy that it's just teetering on the edge of burnt (like I do) it's a bigger deal to buy uncured. Also I suppose it depends on how often you eat it... I wouldn't feel comfortable eating cured bacon every single day, but once a week wouldn't bother me.

As for sugar and flavorings in bacon, I don't really worry about it... I can't find bacon without ANY sugar at a price I'm willing to pay. As you pointed out, it's such a small amount that you still usually are getting less than 1g of carbs per serving.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    The nitrates are bad. Also, most cured bacon uses sugar. It is more expensive ( but you're worth it!); Trader Joe's is best price I find in my area. Once in a while I see a bacon sale I can't resist, but mostly stick to uncured bacon.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

lizch is offline Senior Member
    My understanding is that ALL bacon has nitrites, it's just a matter of whether they are added as an artificial chemical or as components of celery salt or sea salt. If you don't put enough nitrites of some sort onto the bacon, it's not preserved. A local seller of grass-fed meat has this explanation for why they don't ship uncured bacon: http://www.thunderinghooves.net/about_nitrites.htm

I've been choosing uncured for the most part, but the Thundering Hooves info rattles around my head and makes me wonder if I'd actually be better off with cured.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If it's uncured, I don't think it's bacon at all, is it? It's just side pork. That's what I prefer, anyway.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I thought that all bacon is cured - it is the curing that turns it from pork into bacon, surely? There are different types of curing - and also it can be smoked or not, depending on taste.

But the idea of uncured bacon just makes no sense to me - isn't it just belly of pork??!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    It makes no sense, but bacon that has no sodium nitrite added to it is referred to as "uncured". I just checked my pack of bacon to be sure. As you say, it IS cured anyway, using the natural nitrites in the celery/sea salt.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Nik
    Nik is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    My understanding is that ALL bacon has nitrites, it's just a matter of whether they are added as an artificial chemical or as components of celery salt or sea salt. If you don't put enough nitrites of some sort onto the bacon, it's not preserved. A local seller of grass-fed meat has this explanation for why they don't ship uncured bacon: http://www.thunderinghooves.net/about_nitrites.htm

I've been choosing uncured for the most part, but the Thundering Hooves info rattles around my head and makes me wonder if I'd actually be better off with cured.
    Just read this link......now I'm not sure what is better either. Sometimes I feel like i'm screwed no matter what I do. Maybe I should give up bacon? GIVE UP BACON? That's one of the reasons I'm loving primal so much!!!

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    Maybe I should give up bacon? GIVE UP BACON? That's one of the reasons I'm loving primal so much!!!

Now, that is just crazy talk. Personally I don't stress it. I buy the natural stuff if I can, the regular stuff if I can't. I figure I have eliminated so much crap from my diet that some nitrates wont kill me. I also have a hard time getting grassfed meat so eat the regular. But a steak and some veggies even if conventional is a hell of a lot better than the pizza or fast food crap I was eating before.

It's bacon. Enjoy it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast