Thread: Anyone pregnant and primal? page

aimlow is offline Senior Member

Anyone pregnant and primal?

Primal Fuel
    How are you feeling? Are you having cravings outside of primal food? How's the pregnancy been so far?

I'm 14 weeks....

Mel S. is offline Junior Member
    Hello! I am going to be 14 weeks this Saturday! There are actually quite a few of us pregnant right now. There is another thread going as well - if you advance search for "pregnant" in titles only, you'll find us.

I'm feeling great (now ..... I only really had it semi-rough for about 3 weeks at the end of December/beginning of January), actually just finished 35 minutes of hills on the treadmill and tonight my husband and I are going to knock out chest and back from P90X

Not too many cravings here...maybe for bread, but that craving has always been there for me (pregnant or not). I am trying to eat more carbs, but I'm just not that into sweet potatoes - so it's hard. I do weigh myself everyday. I haven't gained any weight yet, but I'm really just making sure that I'm not losing. Dr. says I'll gain it when I need it.

Hope you are feeling great too!! Have you been fighting through any cravings/aversions?

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    Hi Mel! Congrats on your pregnancy! It sounds like you are feeling great, and staying super healthy along the way.
    This is my second baby, and so far the pregnancy, and my cravings are all over the board! I've been eating lots of fruit- I seem to not be able to get enough, and I do have some cravings for grains. Some days I worry some about getting enough carbs, and other days it seems to be all I can tolerate!

Has your doc address grain elimination while pregnant? Any concerns about B vitamins?
    I'll look for the other preggers out there- thanks for your response!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Congrats! You can also do a search for previous threads on Primal Pregnancy.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    Hi and welcome
    I wish i had the link for primal pregnancy resources but I'm on my laptop and not on my desktop - d'oh. But a simple search should come up with plenty of information for you!

Pregnancy wise: I couldnt eat a thing up until 14 weeks I was sick as a dog. After that I felt great, but I found I was easily throwing out my back and pelvis - they arent kidding when they say not to lift heavy things and take it easier (im used to being very independent so it annoyed me greatly not being able to move things i normally would on my own). I definitely craved things outside of primal, I pretty much ate whatever I wanted after being sick for so long I didnt care because I could EAT! I didnt gain that much weight, so far Ive gained 20lbs, and its slowed down a lot. I actually didnt gain/lost 0.5lbs on my last 2 week visit to the doc, probably because as soon as I hit my third trimester I started back on primal.
    Oh. Also the rib pain SUCKS! If you are short-waisted like me there is nowhere for that bubs to be but all up in your ribs. I seriously cannot wait til im not pregnant anymore just so I don't feel like someone has hit me with a baseball bat into my right rib cage.
    So um, yeh. Welcome to being pregnant! LOL. But everyone's experience is different of course
    Last edited by earthspirit; 02-13-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Hey! Just wanted to check in with everyone and see how things are going and how everyone is feeling. Things are great here. Just hit 16 weeks this past Saturday and I finally have the world's smallest bump. Can't see it with my clothes on and I'm not even out a notch on my belt yet, but I can definitely see it when I'm changing.

Still working out, walking hills, jogging, and doing P90X. Doc said that I can keep doing everything and my body will let me know when it's time to start modifying. So far, I think the only thing I can't do is "superman". Laying on my stomach in bed doesn't bother me, but on the exercise mats its not to comfortable, so that one's been nixed.

Have gained about 2.5 pounds so far, but I know the baby's going to be hitting a growth spurt over the next few weeks, so I figure that number will go up.

We'll be finding out the baby's sex in a few weeks and I'm so excited! Is anyone else finding out soon?

Hope everyone is doing great!!

thepaleochild is offline Senior Member
    Well, I WAS pregnant and Paleo. Haha.

Gained 6 pounds - DD was 8 lbs at birth.

I had no cravings, really. Maybe wanted to eat more carrots (strange) but not really.

I wasn't sick or anything, either. Actually, being pregnant while Paleo or Primal for me was pretty much like being not pregnant. Until nine months. Then I could tell.

Only 6 pounds - WOW! That's impressive. I was feeling pretty good about only gaining 3 pounds at 17 1/2 weeks, but I'm sure I'll get to about 20 at least.

We had a monthly check up today and got to hear the heartbeat again....LOVE IT! We also scheduled our mid pregnancy ultrasound for the 14th, so if our little one is cooperative, we'll know the sex in less than a week! yay!

Hope everyone is feeling great!

katydid317 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by thepaleochild View Post
    Well, I WAS pregnant and Paleo. Haha.

Gained 6 pounds - DD was 8 lbs at birth.

I had no cravings, really. Maybe wanted to eat more carrots (strange) but not really.

I wasn't sick or anything, either. Actually, being pregnant while Paleo or Primal for me was pretty much like being not pregnant. Until nine months. Then I could tell.
    Lucky!

I'm having more difficulty than I expected. I'm used to fasting, now I feel like I have to eat constantly. If I get hungry, I get nauseous. So many foods are unappealing, like meat. I'm pushing through because I tried replacing with greek yogurt and I just always felt hungry and I felt really gross since I normally don't eat dairy.

So now my plan is to try to always have something paleo ready to eat in the fridge. Eat smaller amounts more frequently (which goes TOTALLY against everything I've been doing since going paleo). I'm not actually vomiting, it's just nausea, so I want to just kind of ignore it as much as possible and keep eating paleo. I've already gained weight because of the derailment to my diet since I started the hormones (I'm doing IVF, as I'm a surrogate) and I'm only 5 weeks. I'm afraid to weigh myself. I'm going to wait and see where I'm at April 27 at my first midwife appointment. I'll be a bit over 9 weeks by then.