Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else have "pepper grinder" hips? page

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member

Does anyone else have "pepper grinder" hips?

So my hips have always cracked slightly when I stretch them sideways (abduction) but in recent years my right one has gotten really bad. I can actually make it sound like a pepper grinder, although it doesn't hurt much. (It just creeps the hell out of my friends and family.) The discomfort has increased though. A few years ago I went to physio for it and was told that it was just "loose joints" and "snapping hip syndrome" and I was given some exerices to strengthen my hip muscles and correct some muscular imbalances I had. Everything that I have read about snapping hip syndrome says that there is a snapping sensation when the hip moves forward-back, such as when walking or liftin the leg up. This doesn't happen to me. I only get the strange sound if I deliberately try to crack my hip to the side, which I now have to do more frequently because of the slight increase in discomfiture. Anyone else out there with this?

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    So my hips have always cracked slightly when I stretch them sideways (abduction) but in recent years my right one has gotten really bad. I can actually make it sound like a pepper grinder, although it doesn't hurt much. (It just creeps the hell out of my friends and family.) The discomfort has increased though. A few years ago I went to physio for it and was told that it was just "loose joints" and "snapping hip syndrome" and I was given some exerices to strengthen my hip muscles and correct some muscular imbalances I had. Everything that I have read about snapping hip syndrome says that there is a snapping sensation when the hip moves forward-back, such as when walking or liftin the leg up. This doesn't happen to me. I only get the strange sound if I deliberately try to crack my hip to the side, which I now have to do more frequently because of the slight increase in discomfiture. Anyone else out there with this?
    I don't know, but I did just realise that I had snapping hip syndrome as a teenager. It still recurs sometime, Hmm! Never knew it had a name, just thought it was my weird clunking hip.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like it could be very tight IT bands? How are your IT bands? Is your IT band moving over your hip during extensions?
    ad astra per aspera

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    I've had something like this for as long as I can remember in most of my joints. I didn't really think anything of it because it didn't hurt, only slight discomfort, and it mostly happened in the morning. I sounded like popping corn walking to the bathroom in the morning. So I don't know if I can help, but since actively exercising and (I think) more importantly stretching I really haven't noticed it. My does sound milder though.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    The only joint in my body that DOESN'T crack on a regular basis is my shoulders.

If I forget a dose of thyroid or begin pooling, my hips start cracking after I sit for any length of time, and my lower back will pop with ridiculous ease. (as in, tighten my abs and CLUNK right above my tailbone.)

As soon as I get back to normal levels/eliminate the pooling, it goes away. If you can turn it on and turn it off at will, you've found the cause, they say, so that's what it means for me. YMMV.

Kara is offline Member
    Some people are predisposed to cracking.

But, sometimes it can be a sign of a bigger problem. You might have pelvic floor/hip muscular issues that are causing your bones to go out of alignment. If you'd want that checked out, search out a physical therapist that specializes in pelvic issues--they are the experts.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Noisy joints run in my mother's family. C'est la vie! Take your D, calcium, magnesium, boron, K2, etc, etc. and keep moving.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    I think it depends on the quality of the sound LOL... there's a difference between "popping" (like individual- type of sounds) vs. an actual "grinding" sound (called chondromalacia) and is typically caused by one bone GRINDING on another. Not a good thing by any means.
    This in turn causes damage to the cartilage within the joint (it's the loose bits of cartilage that cause that lovely "grinding" sound... and you're right, it's creepy.) It's exacerbated by inflammation and can be caused by tight muscles/ligaments/tendons, muscular imbalance, etc.

While it might not hurt right now, I'd start doing your PT exercises religiously because once enough of that cartilage gets damaged, it's VERY painful, regardless of the joint (mine was in my left knee... had surgery to correct it and release the muscle that was pulling it out of alignment - which did not respond to two years of PT to make it release - and all was well until I tore the ACL on that knee. Now, you can hear me squatting from two rooms away LOL.)

All of that is null and void if it's "popping" you're hearing LOLOL

a_morgan24 is offline Senior Member
    I totally do and it makes me a little crazy. My issue is with my hip flexors; they are always tight and stiff. They are especially obnoxious and 'clicky' when doing any sort of Squat. Sounds like I snap my fingers every time I do one. I have been doing more Yoga which has helped with overall stiffness and flexibility but I still pop and crack. I am tempted to go see a PT as well to get more 'formal' advice and/or stretches to maybe help?

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh! Have you tried cutting out nightshades? As you probably know they have the tendency to promote inflammation and joint problems in people who are sensitive to them. I haven't had any in months and it's possible that is the reason my problem subsided. I can't say for sure, I changed way too many factors of my life all at once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast